Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Toplef10Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) I22gcj10Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Toplef10Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) I22gcj10Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

+7
FamilyGardening
mijejo
Ha-v-v
sherryeo
janezee
quiltbea
ModernDayBetty
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  ModernDayBetty 12/14/2011, 11:02 am

Hi everyone, I looked this up and couldn't find a related post, hopefully I didn't over look one. I want to preorder seed potatoes online. It's difficult to get potatoes in my area, they sell out super fast. I have only seen them at Territorial Seed. Any other websites I can order seed potatoes from?
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  quiltbea 12/14/2011, 11:31 am

try: www.mainepotatolady.com

A nice variety and all certified stock.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  janezee 12/14/2011, 1:45 pm

Try Moose Tubers at

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/

j
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 12/27/2011, 7:57 pm

I just placed an order with Potato Gardens. They will ship to southern states once in mid-December (which I missed) and once in mid-January. This is the only place I could find willing to send potatoes before March. Since it's recommended that my area plant in January, I was glad to finally find a place that will send them earlier.

https://www.potatogarden.com/index.html
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 12/27/2011, 8:10 pm

sherryeo wrote:I just placed an order with Potato Gardens. They will ship to southern states once in mid-December (which I missed) and once in mid-January. This is the only place I could find willing to send potatoes before March. Since it's recommended that my area plant in January, I was glad to finally find a place that will send them earlier.

https://www.potatogarden.com/index.html

Thank you so much Sherry!! I am here in southwest Ms and needed potato seeds!! Going to get my pre order in now. Awesome!
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 12/27/2011, 8:25 pm

You're very welcome, Ha-v-v, I know a few of us talked about this a while back on the forum, so I hoped it might help some others if I posted.

You really have to jump in there, though, as I mentioned they do one shipment in December & one in January. I'm so relieved I made the January date.
sherryeo
sherryeo

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 12/27/2011, 9:20 pm

sherryeo wrote:You're very welcome, Ha-v-v, I know a few of us talked about this a while back on the forum, so I hoped it might help some others if I posted.

You really have to jump in there, though, as I mentioned they do one shipment in December & one in January. I'm so relieved I made the January date.

Sherry, what types did you order? Early, Mid or long season? I want to order all 3 to have 3 different beds and see what happens. Was wondering what ones you tried before?
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  mijejo 12/27/2011, 9:46 pm

Instead of ordering early or mid season, could you order a larger quantity of early and do succession planting? For example: Plant some each month March through August for 60 days to maturity.
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 12/27/2011, 9:47 pm

Hav-v-v, I haven't grown potatoes since my Dad taught me how when I was first married. I can't think of growing/digging potatoes without having fond memories of being in the garden with him. He always just got whatever the most common kind the local feed/seed stores had.

I wanted to try something different - I wanted to try a fingerling variety, so got banana fingerling - it's listed as mid-season. I wanted to try yukon gold, which is an early season variety. That's all I got this time. I only have 5 boxes and no extra-deep boxes or square toppers, so think I'll probably try the potato bags that seem to be all the rage these days.

Let us know what you decide and what you think of them after harvesting. I'll post my results with mine, too. Let's hope all of the forum members who try 'taters this new year will have bumper crops!!!

sherryeo
sherryeo

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 12/27/2011, 9:53 pm

After posting I found a local Washington farm, based out of Ellensburg, www.irsheyesgardenseeds.com they have a lot of seed potatoes at a decent price. I'm a little conserned about ordering through them. I read reviews that said they often send replacement potatoes rather than those ordered. This has been the only negative thing said that I found. Also, it sounds like they ship anytime but if you order now you have to pay for a special box to insure they don't freeze in transit.

I was looking to pre-order and have them sent to me on time. I'm super excited to make 4sft potato boxes this year. I think I'm going to make 3 boxes, for early, mid, and late potatoes... unfortunately I can't narrow it down to only 3 potatoes! I think I'm going to try them in a few months, closer to when I need the potatoes.
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 12/27/2011, 10:04 pm

Here is the page at Irish Eyes Garden Seeds that tells about shipping to the South if anybody wants to check into that. I've already ordered my seed potatoes and am content with my choice for now. If anybody tries this company, let us know how your order turns out. I'll post about my experience with Potato Garden later, once I see how it turns out!

http://www.irisheyesgardenseeds.com/shipping.php

mijejo, I'm no expert, but I don't think potatoes like hot weather. Maybe somebody who's more familiar with your climate will come along and answer your question.

Last edited by sherryeo on 12/27/2011, 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
sherryeo
sherryeo

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 12/27/2011, 10:05 pm

sherryeo wrote:Hav-v-v, I haven't grown potatoes since my Dad taught me how when I was first married. I can't think of growing/digging potatoes without having fond memories of being in the garden with him. He always just got whatever the most common kind the local feed/seed stores had.

I wanted to try something different - I wanted to try a fingerling variety, so got banana fingerling - it's listed as mid-season. I wanted to try yukon gold, which is an early season variety. That's all I got this time. I only have 5 boxes and no extra-deep boxes or square toppers, so think I'll probably try the potato bags that seem to be all the rage these days.

Let us know what you decide and what you think of them after harvesting. I'll post my results with mine, too. Let's hope all of the forum members who try 'taters this new year will have bumper crops!!!

I have boxes I built last year for potatoes, Im a loon sometimes when it comes to experimenting with things to get the most out of a crop. I stacked boxes on top of each other to a crazy height like Ive seen others do. This would be good if I knew what potatoes to use and when to plant them. (Like I do now)I just planted entirely too late in the season. LOLOL Shocked
I will still try the 3 varieties I think and still plant in January. I love learning patience in waiting for a harvest like that. With 3 varieties Im thinking it will give me a staggered harvest.
I will keep folks informed for sure so we can compare notes. I will be ordering tonight or tomorrow and be back to share the variety.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 12/27/2011, 10:12 pm

ModernDayBetty wrote:I was looking to pre-order and have them sent to me on time. I'm super excited to make 4sft potato boxes this year. I think I'm going to make 3 boxes, for early, mid, and late potatoes... unfortunately I can't narrow it down to only 3 potatoes! I think I'm going to try them in a few months, closer to when I need the potatoes.

I too want the three boxes of potatoes and cant think to stay with just 3 potatoes. With my box sizes I could do more than 3 potatoes I think. Will see how it goes and share the progress. It is almost time for planting if its to be for us in January.
Excited to try potatoes again.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 12/27/2011, 10:25 pm

mijejo wrote:Instead of ordering early or mid season, could you order a larger quantity of early and do succession planting? For example: Plant some each month March through August for 60 days to maturity.
From what I understand I will plant my potatoes from Jan 20th to Feb 15. I found this information on a site I will ink to here >> What's the difference between early,mid and late season potato

* very early earlies (meaning early, early summer) -- 75 days
* earlies (meaning early summer) -- 90 days
* second earlies (sometimes called mid or maincrop--meaning mid summer) -- 110 days
* maincrop to late maincrop(summer into autumn) -- 135-160 days

I see a staggered harvest here if I get a few of them. Can't wait to try.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 12/27/2011, 11:57 pm

Ha-v-v wrote:
ModernDayBetty wrote:I was looking to pre-order and have them sent to me on time. I'm super excited to make 4sft potato boxes this year. I think I'm going to make 3 boxes, for early, mid, and late potatoes... unfortunately I can't narrow it down to only 3 potatoes! I think I'm going to try them in a few months, closer to when I need the potatoes.

I too want the three boxes of potatoes and cant think to stay with just 3 potatoes. With my box sizes I could do more than 3 potatoes I think. Will see how it goes and share the progress. It is almost time for planting if its to be for us in January.
Ha-v-v

These are the boxes I'm planning on building using MM of course for the first layer. http://www.irisheyesgardenseeds.com/growers1.php I have found that smaller sized boxes work better for me... I'm too short for my 4x4 boxes.
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 12/28/2011, 12:05 am

ModernDayBetty wrote:
Ha-v-v wrote:

Ha-v-v

These are the boxes I'm planning on building using MM of course for the first layer. http://www.irisheyesgardenseeds.com/growers1.php I have found that smaller sized boxes work better for me... I'm too short for my 4x4 boxes.

This is my thoughts too!! I have bigger boxes though lol Im insane sometimes with experimenting. I have read this site before it seems. I do wish you great success !!! I too want the first layer to be MM, I would like all layers to be MM actually, but with the size I want that wont work yet. Then I thought bags would work nicely as well or trash cans. I will use what I started with last year and try using them planting at the correct time this time.
Here's to the Potato
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 12/28/2011, 12:25 am

ya for taters!!!!

last year we grew them in trash can's and wine barrels.....this year we are going to give it a go in the SFG and in the ground.....it will be fun to see which method works the best for us Very Happy

thanks for giving sites to order from!
hugs

rose...... who loves growing taters the most
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 12/28/2011, 1:53 pm

I grew Yukon Gold's last season. They were mighty tasty, but for the amount of taters I can eat, I do not have enough yard to make it work for me! I will try to satisfy myself with other veggies and buy my taters. At least for this season.........
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 12/30/2011, 6:05 pm

Remember Potatoes are a cool weather crop,so you most likely won't have time to double crop potatoes good Organic seeds try getting them from Highmowing seeds

site wouldn't let me post a link???????????Shocked Sad

Last edited by HillbillyBob on 12/30/2011, 6:06 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : fat finger)
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Male Posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/30/2011, 6:48 pm

High Mowing Seed potatoes <~~~click

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 12/30/2011, 8:40 pm

The math on the 2" x 2" x 10' is wrong. That would be 30" lengths.
j
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 1/9/2012, 12:42 pm

camprn wrote:High Mowing Seed potatoes <~~~click

they have a lot of there potatos back ordered until 15 Apr????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

that's a bit to late for most of Mad us down in Texas
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 1/9/2012, 12:46 pm

HillbillyBob wrote:

they have a lot of there potatos back ordered until 15 Apr????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Potato Garden allows for shipments in Jan for those in the south.
I have pre ordered my potatoes from them.

http://www.potatogarden.com/index.html I called them and they were kind and chatty Smile If you want them early for the Jan shipment I believe you type that in the comments section, please ship out with next shipment. I am set to receive them near mid jan or end of jan.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 1/9/2012, 12:50 pm

yep I think our post crossed I'm trying to post the link I put up last week now shows it as backordered until 15Apr,so we'll have to look someplace else.Very Happy
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 1/9/2012, 12:52 pm

Ha-v-v wrote:
HillbillyBob wrote:

Potato Garden allows for shipments in Jan for those in the south.
I have pre ordered my potatoes from them.

http://www.potatogarden.com/index.html I called them and they were kind and chatty Smile If you want them early for the Jan shipment I believe you type that in the comments section, please ship out with next shipment. I am set to receive them near mid jan or end of jan.
Ha-v-v
thanks for the heads up;) those boxes from Irish eyes make great compost boxes
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next