Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Another Compost Question Toplef10Another Compost Question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Another Compost Question I22gcj10Another Compost Question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Another Compost Question Toplef10Another Compost Question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Another Compost Question I22gcj10Another Compost Question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Another Compost Question

+8
Kelejan
Furbalsmom
Lavender Debs
boffer
tomperrin
camprn
pharmerphil
Too Tall Tomatoes
12 posters

Go down

Another Compost Question Empty Another Compost Question

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 11/10/2011, 12:06 am

As most of you know, I have a compost bin. Today on my way home from work I saw a sign on a country road advertising mushroom soil for sale. I thought to myself "I gotta remember this place when it comes time to prepare my SFG. Then I was wondering if I could buy it now and stockpile it in my shed. Not too sure how smelly it actually would be I thought that I could just add it to my compost bin and it would all be ready to go come spring time.

What's the thought behind adding already composted materials to a pile that's still composting? Not only can I get that mushroom soil at a great price, but I could potentially get some already composted chicken manure now instead of waiting till prepping my SFG.
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

Back to top Go down

Another Compost Question Empty Re: Another Compost Question

Post  pharmerphil 11/10/2011, 4:46 am

Too Tall, SMS, or Spent Mushroom Substrate is great to add, but in small amounts, Mushroom compost is rich in soluble salts and other nutrients and can kill smaller germinating seeds and harm salt sensitive plants like rhododendrons and azaleas, so it's a good thing.. However, can be too much of a good thing for seeds, seedlings and young plants. I'd compost it for a season at least before planting in it...
about 3 inches of the compost into the top six inches of planting area if you proceed without composting and are sitting in suitable plants

Here's a great link about SMS

USING SPENT MUSHROOM SUBSTRATE
pharmerphil
pharmerphil

Male Posts : 35

http://pharmerphil.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 11/10/2011, 7:17 am

Thanks for the link pharmerphil.

I've been thinking way too much about this composting idea of mine. Last weekend I added about 30 gallons of horse manure to add to my bin and ever since then I've been driving myself crazy. I heard something about the possibility of aminopyralid being present in horse manure. Since then I contacted the woman who gave me the manure and she claims it is safe to use in a tomato garden. Then I started to read about different manures to add to a compost pile and how the manure needs to be fully composted before adding it to a veggie garden. Well the temperature of my compost seems to be stuck between 75 and 80F. I have a source for alpaca, rabbit, and chicken manure lined up but now I'm hesitant to add it to my compost.

I remember YEARS ago(I think I was around 12 or so) a man in a pickup truck was driving around my neighborhood selling mushroom soil. My Mom went out and bought some to add to our tomato garden. I don't remember how established the plants were but I do remember they exploded with growth and production of tomatoes.
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 11/10/2011, 6:08 pm

Does anybody know if I can add the alpaca and rabbit manure to my compost bin even though my bin with recently added horse manure won't heat up past 80F? How long do manures need to compost before they're safe to add to a garden?
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 11/10/2011, 7:36 pm

Well I'm assuming that the alpaca and rabbit manures I am getting will be mixed with some sort of bedding.

The only time I cover my compost is when it rains. So I should keep it covered at all times?
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/10/2011, 7:43 pm

I don't cover my compost pile. Wink This time of year I build it and forget it for about 4 months. What a Face

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Another Compost Question WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 11/10/2011, 10:34 pm

camprn wrote:I don't cover my compost pile. Wink This time of year I build it and forget it for about 4 months. What a Face

But if I don't keep it covered during wet weather, won't the "good stuff" in the compost get washed away? Isn't part of composting maintaining proper moisture levels?

Or am I just overthinking this as I usually do with any of my endeavors?
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 11/11/2011, 7:54 am

Well this morning I went outside to check the compost pile and the temp is up to 90F! cheers

Yesterday afternoon, the temperature was 80F so I gave it a quick toss, covered it up to keep the rain off. Before I went to bed, the temperature was 85F.

The neighbors probably think I'm nuts for checking on the pile several times a day. Another Compost Question 889526
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Another Compost Question Empty Mushroom Compost

Post  tomperrin 1/9/2012, 4:34 pm

Last year I bought 2 cubic yards of mushroom compost, aka composted horse manure at $45 a cubic yard. The first yard I mixed with 4 other kinds of compost, the second yard got mixed with just leaf compost. The compost then went into the standard Mel's Mix configuration of 1/3 ea of vermiculite, peat moss and compost. The only problem I had was I could not complain about bugs, because I didn't have any.

The mushroom compost is hard to find, and I would get whenever I could. It may become difficult to find because there is a rumor floating about that one of the big baggers is adding it to their mix and buying up all the available supply.

I'm now building two huge piles of horse manure & leaf compost. You can see my photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11987465@N00/sets/72157628796227109/
tomperrin
tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 1/9/2012, 6:02 pm

tomperrin wrote:Last year I bought 2 cubic yards of mushroom compost, aka composted horse manure at $45 a cubic yard....

I'm not sure what you mean by the "aka composted horse manure" statement. For the benefit of newcomers who may not have heard of mushroom compost; from the PA Dept. of Agriculture:
Mushroom compost is a viable and useful by-product of mushroom farming. Those edible mushrooms found in the produce section of your grocery store are grown in a specific medium. This growth media is a mixture of agricultural materials, such as straw from horse stables, hay, poultry litter, ground corn cobs, cottonseed hulls, cocoa shells, peat moss, and other natural organic substances.

Mushroom compost is a smorgasbord of compostables, and most of us consider it to be one of our five composts. (composted horse manure would be a second compost)

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 1/9/2012, 6:13 pm

boffer wrote: ....snip....Mushroom compost is a smorgasbord of compostables, and most of us consider it to be one of our five composts. (composted horse manure would be a second compost)

Old time home grown mushroom spoors are grown on sheep or horse poo. Agro business uses a less toxic, easier to control content, growing medium for spores because it is easier (i.e. a sure thing) to grow shrooms in multi-layer warehouse racks without shoveling poo AND modern cooks do not want to bother with washing produce. I'm just saying.... You are both correct.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/9/2012, 10:02 pm

If they're getting $45 a yard for horse manure, they must be feeding those horses golden grain! Razz
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Another Compost Question Empty Mushroom compost aka composted horse manure

Post  tomperrin 1/9/2012, 11:38 pm

I'm going by what my supplier told me, that his mushroom compost had its origins in horse manure. Leaf compost runs about $18 a cubic yard at the source. The $45 a yard for composted horse manure aka mushroom compost, which fills an 8ft long pickup truck bed, isn't a bad price for a superior product that is extremely difficult to find, and impossible to find in bags when you want it.

There is a significant difference between the price of composted horse manure and the raw product. I get the raw product for free when I can, otherwise I have to pay for the finished product.

But my hauling, lifting, turning and time add value to the original raw product. My first compost bin contains 64 cu ft or roughly 2.35 cu yds of compost when it's done cooking. That makes the fruits of my labor worth roughly $105, which isn't much for my time and trouble. But what makes it worth my while is that a) I've got the time, and b) I know exactly what goes into the compost, and c) I can spend that $105 on toys.
tomperrin
tomperrin

Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/10/2012, 2:52 pm

tomperrin wrote:But what makes it worth my while is that a) I've got the time, and b) I know exactly what goes into the compost, and c) I can spend that $105 on toys.

All very good reasons.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/10/2012, 3:02 pm

I just love pictures of work-in-progress.

Tom, what space do you have between your SFG beds?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/10/2012, 7:43 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:
tomperrin wrote:But what makes it worth my while is that a) I've got the time, and b) I know exactly what goes into the compost, and c) I can spend that $105 on toys.

All very good reasons.
+1!
GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Another Compost Question Empty Space between squares

Post  tomperrin 1/10/2012, 8:22 pm

I started off with the statutory 3 feet between squares. This worked well for driving a wheelbarrow between the rows. Then I built a fence around the squares. Turns out the squares were square but the fence was not. I did build the fence twice as large as I thought I needed at the time. So I bought a fair amount of very nice cedar lumber with honest measurements (1" x 7") and proceeded to fill up the empty space with more squares. My SFG friends took one look at my new squares and said I really needed a lot more space between the squares. So I exchanged a 4' square for a 3' square and made a wee bit more room. Not much of a concession, I admit. That said, I am severely constrained by sunlight and shadow, so need to make use of as much space as I can. I may have to hire small children to run between the rows since the short portly who planned the garden is not going to fit easily, as per Mel's prediction. I did leave enough room by the back gate for a couple of chairs so that my wife and I can just sit and watch the peas grow.

Why do I need so many squares? One reason is that I was so pleased with the results of my initial venture into SFG that I would like to freeze and can as much food as I can in the coming year. The other reason is that I'm just plain OCD.

As it is, I don't have enough room within the fence. I bought a lot of 2-year asparagus crowns and rhubarb for spring planting. These perennials will go in new squares outside the fence. I may have to shorten some trees in order to lengthen the number of hours of sun.

Eventually, of course, I will have to clear more land, buy a house with more available sunlight, or see if my neighbor across the road will allow me to put some squares in his front yard.
tomperrin
tomperrin

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/10/2012, 8:38 pm

SFGing is addictive. So says me. Started with 6 boxes. Got my son started with 4 boxes. I want 4 more and he wants a total of 12. Another Compost Question 656620

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/10/2012, 9:02 pm

tomperrin wrote:Eventually, of course, I will have to clear more land, buy a house with more available sunlight, or see if my neighbor across the road will allow me to put some squares in his front yard.
rofl rofl rofl
You got it bad, dude. Welcome to the club!
GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 1/11/2012, 2:53 am

Welcome!

Fortunately, asparagus and rhubarb don't need as much sun as tomatoes, squash, peppers, eggplant, beans, etc. They can live with 4-6 hours a day in the spring and fall. They might not get quite as large, but they surely won't die, and will still give a good crop.

j
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/11/2012, 7:25 am

I recently found out the cotton gin in the next town over has a huge pile of cotton boll leavings from the ginning process. And they will load some in my truck free. Unfortunately, I will have to unload and my back is not what it used to be. Has anyone used this in a compost pile and what is the general timeframe for breaking down into usuable compost. Some near the bottom is looking better than the top stuff, but you have to take what the bulldozer can get to.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/11/2012, 8:06 pm

walshevak wrote:I recently found out the cotton gin in the next town over has a huge pile of cotton boll leavings from the ginning process. And they will load some in my truck free. Unfortunately, I will have to unload and my back is not what it used to be. Has anyone used this in a compost pile and what is the general timeframe for breaking down into usuable compost. Some near the bottom is looking better than the top stuff, but you have to take what the bulldozer can get to.

Kay
My guess is that unless the cotton was grown organically it was sprayed with a cocktail of chemicals through its life cycle. Just something to consider.

What gets sprayed on cotton?

Last edited by camprn on 1/11/2012, 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link)

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Another Compost Question WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 1/11/2012, 9:54 pm

walshevak wrote:I recently found out the cotton gin in the next town over has a huge pile of cotton boll leavings from the ginning process. And they will load some in my truck free. Unfortunately, I will have to unload and my back is not what it used to be. Has anyone used this in a compost pile and what is the general timeframe for breaking down into usuable compost. Some near the bottom is looking better than the top stuff, but you have to take what the bulldozer can get to.

Kay

Hint:buy a cheap tarp to put in truck, and get it loaded, then you can (with Help) just pull it out of truck. I do this when I go get free manure.

I know nothing of the ginning process, is the cotton washed/rinsed during processing? But, you might ask about it. I have seen cotton grown and in the morning the field is beautiful, white with cotton, with green plants holding up the cotton, in the evening all that is left is some dead looking branches holding up the cotton. Looks like they used agent orange to kill the plants, easier to pick with a machine. I would ask about the chemicals, and if they have been washed out. Lots of folks use cotton gin leftovers for compost!

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down