Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
cross-pollination in SFG Toplef10cross-pollination in SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

cross-pollination in SFG I22gcj10cross-pollination in SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
cross-pollination in SFG Toplef10cross-pollination in SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

cross-pollination in SFG I22gcj10cross-pollination in SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

cross-pollination in SFG

2 posters

Go down

cross-pollination in SFG Empty cross-pollination in SFG

Post  Feistywidget 11/3/2011, 5:26 pm

I have two questions about this. I know some varieties of things need to be cross pollinated in order to set fruit.

With square foot gardening, what would be the better way to plant them to ensure cross-pollination? I'm going to take an educated guess and say vertical planting?

By vertical planting I'm NOT referring to growing them upward and having them climb up a trellis, like you do with some things in SFG so there is more space (squash, melons, etc.). You would basically place the plants vertically in the boxes, as opposed to horizontally, where with horizontal gardening they're grown left-to-right in a straight line.

My second question is what exactly requires cross pollination? I have a list of things listed below that I believe need cross pollination to get a crop, but I'm not sure.

Berries (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries)

Tomatillos (a Mexican variety of tomato that is green and grown in a husk; when it's ready to harvest, the husk splits)

Corn

Cape gooseberry

Please clarify regarding this; thank you.
Feistywidget

Location : Boyne City Michigan (gardening zone 5; short growing season....mild and cool climate...hot summers, but much milder than summers in tropical gardening zones)

Back to top Go down

cross-pollination in SFG Empty Re: cross-pollination in SFG

Post  camprn 11/3/2011, 6:55 pm

I am not understanding your description of vertical gardening but I will address some of the pollination issues.

Corn: this plant is generally known to benefit more from wind pollination vs. a vector, or pollinater like a bee, butterfly, bird. You can read more about it here.

It is my understanding that tomatoes, eggplants, tomatillos and cape gooseberries are self pollinating, meaning that there are male and female parts within the flower. These flowers will benefit from vector pollinators but also a simple little nudge of the plant will help the process.

Modern cultivars of strawberries are similar and there is a good explanation here.
With the other berries I would suggest checking which cultivars you're interested in planting, their pollination requirements may be different.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

cross-pollination in SFG WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

cross-pollination in SFG Empty clarification with cross pollination

Post  Feistywidget 11/5/2011, 6:58 pm

Well according to information I just found regarding tomatillos they are 'self-incompatible for pollination'. This basically means one tomatillo plant can't pollinate itself, and at least two tomatillo plants have to be planted next to each other in order for the tomatillos to pollinate.

I'm wondering if the corn and goose berries are also self-incompatible for pollination? That is the goose berries would require at least 2 plants planted next to each other in order for pollination to occur?

When I say vertical gardening this is what I'm referring to:

Garden corn be planted in several short rows rather than in one or two long rows.

this is specifically in reference to corn, that if you plant using the method described above, it will ensure better pollination. This is because, at least to my knowledge, corn should be planted in 'clusters', having other corn plants next to it, in order to be pollinated.

I'm wondering if this would be the best method of planting to use with plants that require more than one plant in order to be pollinated.

Regarding the strawberries, are there any varieties that are self-pollinating, or do they all require that you have to plant more than one plant in order for pollination to occur?
Feistywidget

Location : Boyne City Michigan (gardening zone 5; short growing season....mild and cool climate...hot summers, but much milder than summers in tropical gardening zones)

Back to top Go down

cross-pollination in SFG Empty Re: cross-pollination in SFG

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum