Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Nov 1St - What to plant in So Cal Toplef10Nov 1St - What to plant in So Cal 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Nov 1St - What to plant in So Cal I22gcj10Nov 1St - What to plant in So Cal 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Nov 1St - What to plant in So Cal Toplef10Nov 1St - What to plant in So Cal 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Nov 1St - What to plant in So Cal I22gcj10Nov 1St - What to plant in So Cal 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Nov 1St - What to plant in So Cal

3 posters

Go down

Nov 1St - What to plant in So Cal Empty Nov 1St - What to plant in So Cal

Post  Chopper 10/30/2011, 5:13 am

I know I am a little early but here goes. First of all, was anyone able to harvest their Halloween pumpkins from their garden? And anyone hoping to make fresh pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving?

I am still harvesting tomatoes I am happy to say. Got a plant in late (Aug) and it is now producing wonderful, meaty, tasty tomatoes - no idea what variety, just grabbed the sad overgrown thing from the Lowes sale table. Also getting some zucchini I planted at the same time from seed.

My sugar snaps are going crazy and rarely make it out of the garden, they are more like a working snack, but now there are so many I have to pick them and use them for dinner. I have some beets ready to be picked but the carrots are slow going, as usual. I also planted yellow beans from seed at the same time as the tomatoes and I may have pushed the season a little too far.

I am hoping the frost holds off long enough to harvest some sweet potatoes - had a volunteer and let it have its way. So far so good, but nights are getting quite cool.

Here is what to plant this month - nothing new but plenty of eats:

Beets
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Carrots
Cauliflower
Leeks
Lettuce
Onions Bunching
Onions/Garlic sets
Parsley
Peas
Spinach

I have also grown cilantro over the winter and it does grow and bolts much more slowly than a summer crop, but the taste is milder.

Is anyone planting anything this month that is not on the list? Always open for suggestion.

And get your orders in now - December is the first month to plant potatoes. No rest for the wicked.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Nov 1St - What to plant in So Cal Empty Re: Nov 1St - What to plant in So Cal

Post  southern gardener 10/30/2011, 11:11 am

Camprn: TY for the list. That's pretty much what we planted!! We also took some "suckers" off of our tomatoes and planted those for an experiment. Nothing to lose, right?? cyclops We do have pumpkins. They are 'volunteer" pumpkins near our animal pens 🐷 🐷 🐷 , and have gone crazy! We have a few the size of small beach balls for the grandkids :0) We harvested beets, spaghetti squash and butternut squash this week and are enjoying those. The butternut squash is very similar to pumpkin...You can easily use that for a pie bounce We topped our tomatoes a month ago, and they are producing again! cheers Where do you order your potatoes from? I can't find anyone around here that carries them. I always hear, " we'll have them next month", then I go and they're sold out! I also would like to get some horseradish. I will not put them in my SFG tho! they will take over, but am interested in where to purchase the starts. Thanks again for all the good info!! study
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 10/30/2011, 12:09 pm

Chopper, what is the best way to cure/age sweet potatoes in our area? I have some growing too that were planted in early august, so I figure they should be ready in november. They started flowering a couple of weeks ago but I'm not sure when to harvest. Frost here is not expected before dec.

My cherry & smaller toms are still going great - there are probably thousands of green ones still on 5 healthy looking vines. Bell peppers are still doing great also. There are also some squash still producing and I finally have a delicata about ready to pick.

I have broccoli, lettuce, carrots, garlic all planted in the last month. Found a tiny volunteer potato and moved to to a better place this week.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 10/30/2011, 12:24 pm

We also made "live grids" of garlic and onions around our cabbage family crops. Hoping to keep the ants/aphids out. In the past, the aphids have ruined anything in the cabbage family, to the point we were not even able to eat any Mad Mad . Anyone have ideas on getting rid of aphids? :?:
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 10/30/2011, 3:46 pm

southern gardener wrote:Camprn: TY for the list. ...Where do you order your potatoes from?....Hoping to keep the ants/aphids out. In the past, the aphids have ruined
anything in the cabbage family, to the point we were not even able to
eat any Mad Mad . Anyone have ideas on getting rid of aphids? :?:

As much as I love CampRN I am Chopper! And I am glad I can garden in CA and not NH, although I love NH too. LOL And you are welcome for the list. Early on in my SFG 'career' I put it together in a fit of organization and I am so glad I did.

Potatoes are best ordered online. Just do a search. I have so far only used potatoes from the supermarket being of very limited budget of late. At least that way you can have them when you want them. Just cut out an eye with a generous amount of surrounding potato and let the outside flesh of the potato dry for several days - 'cure it'. Then plant as per usual. I cover with two or three inches of soil and see what happens. Last time I planted three squares and got two fabulous squares worth of crop and one so-so, but still OK.

Aphids are a true scourge. They seem to have the same season as ants and that ends as the weather cools. Last year I held out planting brassicas for that reason and did not have an aphid problem. For the first time ever.

Last edited by Chopper on 10/30/2011, 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 10/30/2011, 3:50 pm

Lindacol wrote:Chopper, what is the best way to cure/age sweet potatoes in our area? .... Frost here is not expected before dec.

My cherry & smaller toms are still going great - there are probably thousands of green ones still on 5 healthy looking vines. Bell peppers are still doing great also. There are also some squash still producing and I finally have a delicata about ready to pick.

I have broccoli, lettuce, carrots, garlic all planted in the last month. Found a tiny volunteer potato and moved to to a better place this week.

All sounds great. If it grows it stays is my motto.

To cure all I do is brush off the dirt and keep them in a cool dry place. You can always put some in the fridge too. I do let them dry for a few days outside before I take them in. Mine were used quickly enough that I did not see how long they would keep, but I am guessing at least a few months.

I know we shouldn't get frost until Dec but every now and then nature spits in our eye. Hehe. I am hoping for a normal winter though.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 10/30/2011, 5:29 pm

woooooooooooops! sorry Chopper!! called you the wrong name!! thinking
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down