Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
It's not just for toilets anymore! Toplef10It's not just for toilets anymore! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

It's not just for toilets anymore! I22gcj10It's not just for toilets anymore! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
It's not just for toilets anymore! Toplef10It's not just for toilets anymore! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

It's not just for toilets anymore! I22gcj10It's not just for toilets anymore! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

It's not just for toilets anymore!

3 posters

Go down

It's not just for toilets anymore! Empty It's not just for toilets anymore!

Post  sfg4uKim 10/16/2011, 10:22 am

I'm gonna try an indoor winter garden. Since Hurricane Irene ruined my garden, and the cleanup is just now getting underway (understandably it took the insurance company awhile to get here since I didn't have any structural damage) I thought this would be fun. I only wish I'd thought of it sooner.

It's not just for toilets anymore! Img_4910

I've used a cheap "over the toilet" shelf unit and $1 plastic shoe boxes (with drainage holes) to create a winter garden.

It's not just for toilets anymore! Img_4911

The lowest shelf comes just to the bottom of the window and is tucked behind an old "chest of drawers" that I use in the kitchen to hold my microwave & other small appliances. Below the bottom shelf is enough space for storage. Right now I have another cheap plastic box there that will be used as a "demonstration bed" when I teach classes - it fits 3 of the shoe boxes perfectly.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

It's not just for toilets anymore! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

It's not just for toilets anymore! Empty Re: It's not just for toilets anymore!

Post  sfg4uKim 10/16/2011, 10:29 am

Forgot to mention that I'm using the shoe box lids as drip trays to catch any excess water from the drainage holes.

The shelves are just a bit short so that three across just doesn't work for the lids, so in the middle I just use a second (undrilled) shoe box.

It brings the chest of drawers out 13" from the wall, but we already had it pulled 8" out so that we could store things back there anyway. So it's really not taking TOO much more space out of my small kitchen.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com

It's not just for toilets anymore! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 10/16/2011, 10:55 am

Really great idea! What are you going to plant? Looking forward to seeing your results. I have been contemplating getting some type of herb garden going inside for the winter. Yours gives me inspiration. Very Happy

It's not just for toilets anymore! Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 10/16/2011, 11:54 am

Well I've got to grow things that are kinda low, so I'm thinking mostly baby lettuces/greens, radishes, young beets, small carrots, herbs that can be trimmed, etc.

Just for fun, I am going to try snap peas that will cascade up and over the arch or over the side.

ALSO I hope that the insurance will come through and I can rebuild the greenhouse so that I can sort of use the indoor growing area then transplant them out there.

Of course it will be great to start transplants in late winter for use in a demo bed for teaching early spring classes.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Denese 10/16/2011, 3:13 pm

What direction is the window facing? I have a 5 ft. wide x 4 ft. high window in my living room that faces east, but I wasn't sure if there would be enough light to start seedlings in front of it. It gets lots of sun from sunrise till around noon. There's still light after that, but no direct sun. Will this work, or will I still need lights?
Denese
Denese

Female Posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 10/16/2011, 4:52 pm

Denese:

It faces southeast. A lot of lettuces & greens, radishes, etc. like shade and I think these will work well. Here are a couple of articles on shade-tolerant plants that might help. I just need to make sure they are "short" or can be "trimmed".

SHADE - Examiner

SHADE - Mother Earth

Hope this helps,
Kim

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down