Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Worm compost tea - Page 2 Toplef10Worm compost tea - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Worm compost tea - Page 2 I22gcj10Worm compost tea - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Worm compost tea - Page 2 Toplef10Worm compost tea - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Worm compost tea - Page 2 I22gcj10Worm compost tea - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Worm compost tea

+15
GWN
llama momma
Roseinarosecity
gwennifer
genes
camprn
quiltbea
RoOsTeR
squaredeal
AprilakaCCIL
middlemamma
Luci Dawson
madnicmom
boffer
Josh
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Worm compost tea - Page 2 Empty Re: Worm compost tea

Post  RoOsTeR 10/11/2011, 9:03 pm

Lol! You guys are decoding without the ring thinking

Worm compost tea - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 10/12/2011, 3:21 am

Alright, I'm just gonna ask this now, since this thread has already gone a little wild and I've just always wondered... genes, is there some inside joke or old story associated with you always referring to boffer as boofer?

And thank you all for the education on the codes! I knew what they were all about, had seen the one in Josh's sig for some time, but I don't have a smart phone so I've just let them be. Never occured to me that I could write my own or that I could find a decoder on the web. That's cool Boffer - thanks!

Back on topic, I hadn't wanted to bother with trying compost tea before, but that looked really easy. I was wondering what I would do if faced with a nutrient deficiency in my SFG when the existing compost physically hasn't broken down far enough yet to permit the volume increase of digging in additional compost. The possibility of needing to supplement with a liquid fertilizer has been on my mind.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  genes 10/12/2011, 10:22 pm

uh bad gramar, spelling, and hastie proof reading
Sorry boofer boffer
genes
genes

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 10/13/2011, 8:36 pm

Not a problem, jeans, I've been called a lot worse! Very Happy
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 10/23/2012, 11:43 am

I watched the video with Josh making his compost tea. I also made a plastic worm composting bin. I made it on May 5, 2012. After 5 months I can see I have this grey matter in the bottom of the bin. For one month now, I have been feeding the worms only in one side of the bin to harvest. It does not look black like Josh's video. It's moist, gray, and clay-like. I have been putting fruit and vegetable scraps and shredded newspaper, a torn paper egg carton once, and some crushed eggshells. But it just doesn't look black like every demo I have checked out. Is there a step I'm missing? Should I harvest immediately and use immediately, as in the same day?
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/23/2012, 1:54 pm

If you want to explore redwormcomposting.com there is a detail topic about the color of castings. Bottom line is you will get various colors depending on what you are feeding. More important is feeding a variety of foods for a nutritious result. I'm not concerned terribly with color. Every feeding I put in a source of protein for example like moist oatmeal, even pet hair and noticed they are all over it. I add fruit, veggies, carbs, and protein each feeding.

Last edited by llama momma on 10/23/2012, 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/23/2012, 2:06 pm

Another thing -- You can store the castings. But it is not suppose to dry out completely either. I spray it from time to time. I've read different websites that said use it up in 4 months, another said 6 months. Maybe you can find new info and share.

I put castings in a 4 gallon bucket some time ago, and the cocoons are still hatching. I lay food on the surface and collect the youngsters right underneath. Transferred probably at least 50 back to the bins so far.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 10/24/2012, 11:37 am

What about curing? I do have a compost pile and I let that cure, but does worm casting need curing?
Roseinarosecity

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 10/24/2012, 6:09 pm

Roseinarosecity wrote:What about curing? I do have a compost pile and I let that cure, but does worm casting need curing?
You don't have to wait to use the worm castings, you can put them right on your garden just as soon as you get some. Worm compost tea - Page 2 692681
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 6/3/2013, 6:09 pm

Originally, Josh mentions that he uses his worm compost tea aerated weekly, especially to grow large carrots. He uses a 20% solution. I'm finally getting accustom to my worms and their vermicompost to make tea. Recently I took 32 ounces of worm poop and mixed it with 7 gallons of rain water. I think it makes it a 3.5% solution.

I read the Ohio State University research article that Josh suggested back on the first posting of this thread (http://growingsolutions.com/shop/images/bc0712_38.pdf) and it said they use their aerated worm compost tea on the tomato plants to prevent aphids, mites, and a nematode, but they don't say how much they use, although they do mention the concentrations. And, it looks like their plants are in small pots (10 cm) for their soil drench treatment experiment. I have raised beds.

The 10% solution worked the best in the Ohio State University research. I have another 32 oz of worm compost, so a 10% solution would require 320 oz of water or 2.5 gals. I have 19 tomato plants which I would like to treat with a compost tea. The two cups would cover all of them but I don't have a new 32 oz of worm poop every week. I'm curious how much did Josh or other people who treat with worm compost, pour on their plants. Josh did mention on the video that he also sprays it on his plants but the Ohio State experiment poured their solution on their tomato plants. Is pouring two cups per plant enough? Or should it be a complete drenching enough to make that my weekly watering? If you pour worm compost tea in your beds, how much do you use per plant and how often?
Roseinarosecity

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/3/2013, 8:21 pm

I just found this site, thanks Rose for bumping it up..... Josh used one cup of castings to 4 cups of water. I guess I read all of this because I am looking for organic ways to treat leaf curl and catapillars on my fruit trees. Once again thanks... and thanks to Josh
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 6/4/2013, 11:09 am

GWN, how do you plan to use your worm tea? Spray or drench? How much will you mix with water? And how often?

This is the flowering and fruiting season so I want to take advantage of the worm poop. I'll harvest again in two weeks and treat every other week. I don't want to spray because my hand gets tired from overuse, thats why the drench sounds easier.

How do others use their worm poop?
Roseinarosecity

Back to top Go down

Worm compost tea - Page 2 Empty Worm tea on the plants?

Post  Inkspirations 6/19/2013, 6:49 pm

Do I understand that you pour or spray the tea directly onto the plants and not onto the ground? IMWTK
Inkspirations
Inkspirations

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/19/2013, 8:37 pm

what I have been doing is to mix the compost with water and then take the tea and pour it on the base of the plant
I have not tried to spray the plants with it yet, I am afraid I have left it too late.
I also do not have a pump with which to aerate the tea, so not confident spraying yet, it seems that many others have more experience with this than I do.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 6/19/2013, 9:30 pm

Here's what I do, in the video of me making the worm tea I just use the worm casting loose in the water, so I put about a cup per plant at the base of the plant, and I do that about once a week, if I'm wanting something to grow really good, like something I'm going to show at the fair, I water it a couple times a week.  
When I make the worm tea to use for a spray, I put the worm castings in a coffee filter and it will hold about a cup of worm castings.  I staple the coffee filter together to hold it all in.
Worm compost tea - Page 2 Wormteacompost-Copy_zps58ee8d56
Worm compost tea - Page 2 Wormtea-Copy_zps68c06e28
Then I put it in the water, and use the air pump on it for 24 hours and then put it in a sprayer and spray the plants.  I have some pump sprayers that are really cheap that work great and you put them on a 2 liter soda bottle.

I don't worry to much about how much worm castings to how much water, if you use to much worm castings it won't hurt the plants, and a little goes a long way too.
Here's the garden back a couple weeks ago
Worm compost tea - Page 2 6-2-13veggie_zps76a503a9
And the cabbage is just regular size cabbage, and they turned out great, I sprayed them with the worm tea about every other day, and watered them with worm tea once a week.
Worm compost tea - Page 2 Cabbage8lb10oz_zpsc3cb3bed
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/19/2013, 11:27 pm

Thanks for the info Josh......we haven't used our worm castings in tea yet and this really helps us to get started using them.....

we have been using reg-compost tea ...(no worm castings).....giving our plants drinks....

if we only have a small amount of worm castings.....do you think using them in a spray is better then using them to water the plants?

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 6/19/2013, 11:57 pm

Josh wrote:Here's what I do, in the video of me making the worm tea I just use the worm casting loose in the water, so I put about a cup per plant at the base of the plant, and I do that about once a week, if I'm wanting something to grow really good, like something I'm going to show at the fair, I water it a couple times a week.  
When I make the worm tea to use for a spray, I put the worm castings in a coffee filter and it will hold about a cup of worm castings.  I staple the coffee filter together to hold it all in.
Worm compost tea - Page 2 Wormteacompost-Copy_zps58ee8d56
Worm compost tea - Page 2 Wormtea-Copy_zps68c06e28
Then I put it in the water, and use the air pump on it for 24 hours and then put it in a sprayer and spray the plants.  I have some pump sprayers that are really cheap that work great and you put them on a 2 liter soda bottle.

I don't worry to much about how much worm castings to how much water, if you use to much worm castings it won't hurt the plants, and a little goes a long way too.
Here's the garden back a couple weeks ago
Worm compost tea - Page 2 6-2-13veggie_zps76a503a9
And the cabbage is just regular size cabbage, and they turned out great, I sprayed them with the worm tea about every other day, and watered them with worm tea once a week.
Worm compost tea - Page 2 Cabbage8lb10oz_zpsc3cb3bed

Josh, that sprayer is awesome!  What is it?  where did you get it?  Thanks bunches!  

Awesome cabbage, btw!  way to go And I love the stone path around your beds.
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/20/2013, 11:33 pm

WELL this is just one of those questions that just has to be asked and..... SOOO I will ask it.
How do you make sure that there are no worms in your worm casting tea?
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  squaredeal 6/21/2013, 4:33 pm

sprayer: sprayer for recycled bottle

note that they don't have any available.  However, if you google "bottle top garden sprayers"  other websites should come up.
squaredeal
squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 6/21/2013, 4:50 pm

My mom bought them online at: watersprayer

They come 2 in a package and she liked them so much she ordered 2 more sets.

How do you make sure that there are no worms in your worm casting tea?" wrote:

What I do, is take a paper plate, and a handful of the worm castings and spread them out on the paper plate and pick out any worms that might be in the castings.  If you should miss one, it's no big deal, it won't hurt the worm tea, the worm will also be good fertilizer for the garden.
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine 6/24/2013, 6:56 pm

Josh, after seeing your humongous cabbage, I was sold! I started my worm compost bin last night using a plastic bin. Online I saw people making beds of peat moss and shredded paper, so that 's what I did. I moistened the bedding & put the worms in. This morning a lot of the worms were on the lid, which told me they weren't too happy. The bedding appeared to be barely wet, so I added a bit more moisture, some potting soil, added coffee grounds, a couple of egg shells, cut up watermelon rind and celery tops for them to feed on...oh yeah, and cardboard on top.

My only concern is I live in So Cal and this week it's expected to get in the 90's. After work today I'm going to dig a hole under the shade of a tree for my bin hoping that if it's 1/2 in the ground it'll be cool enough for the worms. Wifey doesn't want any part of my bin in the house.

I can wait to start giving my plants some compost tea!!!! bounce
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2