Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
coffee grounds as compost - Page 2 Toplef10coffee grounds as compost - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

coffee grounds as compost - Page 2 I22gcj10coffee grounds as compost - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
coffee grounds as compost - Page 2 Toplef10coffee grounds as compost - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

coffee grounds as compost - Page 2 I22gcj10coffee grounds as compost - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

coffee grounds as compost

+7
yolos
OhioGardener
capatl
camprn
boffer
AprilakaCCIL
1orangething
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

coffee grounds as compost - Page 2 Empty Re: coffee grounds as compost

Post  yolos 1/4/2019, 9:40 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:Yes, the do love it, AM!  Next spring when I turn over that drum full of coffee grounds to begin emptying it (I forgot to mention those two drums on the left have had the bottoms cut out, so they are open to the soil), I will find balls of worms in the coffee grounds.

"Balls of worms"......  My dream here with our GA red clay....

My sentiments exactly AM.  These gardeners have been talking about all the worms they have in their gardens and I just weep.  After 7 years of gardening in the same spot and adding large amounts of compost each year, I now can unearth a worm or two with each shovel full of dirt.  I was hoping that putting all this coffee in the garden will help bring more earthworms into my garden.  I remember when I first started gardening at this house, there was not a worm to be seen.  We actually cheered when we found a worm.  Someone told me to add compost and the worms will come.  I asked him where they were going to come from, maybe wiggling out of the woods.???  Well, 7 years later there are a few.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/4/2019, 10:13 am

yolos wrote:
AtlantaMarie wrote:"Balls of worms"......  My dream here with our GA red clay....

Someone told me to add compost and the worms will come.  I asked him where they were going to come from, maybe wiggling out of the woods.???  Well, 7 years later there are a few.

Having lived near Chamblee, GA, for almost 4 years in a former life, I know how difficult adding organic matter to the red clay can be! The more compost I added to the soil, the redder and stickier the dirt seemed to turn. I still remember the bouncing of the Troy-Bilt tiller as it tried to chop up that clay to small particles.  We moved there in November on year, and my first act was to "till up a place for a garden". Little did I know what I signed up for! Having been raised on a farm in Indiana with sandy loam, I never knew how similar Georgia Clay and Cement are!  The first year garden was okay, but nothing to write home about. That fall I hauled in a truck load of "compost", which was really a cleanout of a cattle feed lot, and tilled it into the soil before sowing Crimson Clover cover crop. The next spring I tilled under the cover crop, and felt bad that I chopped up a number of earthworms that had apparently been brought in with the load of compost. By the time we moved from there, our garden was the envy of the neighborhood. I'm not sure it was worth all the work I did on that patch of ground, but I'd be lost without a vegetable garden....   In my golden years, I enjoy gardening so much more since I changed to no-till, and raised beds with homemade organic soil.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4504

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 1/4/2019, 11:24 am

OhioGardener wrote:
yolos wrote:
AtlantaMarie wrote:"Balls of worms"......  My dream here with our GA red clay....

Someone told me to add compost and the worms will come.  I asked him where they were going to come from, maybe wiggling out of the woods.???  Well, 7 years later there are a few.

Having lived near Chamblee, GA, for almost 4 years in a former life, I know how difficult adding organic matter to the red clay can be! The more compost I added to the soil, the redder and stickier the dirt seemed to turn. I still remember the bouncing of the Troy-Bilt tiller as it tried to chop up that clay to small particles. 
I laughed when I read about your tiller bouncing.  We bought a tiller when we moved to this house and tried to till a garden.  Not only did we have the hard red Ga clay but we also had large rocks.  That tiller bounced so bad that I thought my arms were being ripped out of their sockets.  After that first year we made raised beds and started using Mels Mix and the tiller has been sitting under my porch for 8 years now.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/4/2019, 6:50 pm

OhioGardener wrote:A side note:  During a recent conversation with a neighbor she brought up about how much juicing she does for her family of four. I asked her what she does with the pulp, and she said she puts it in the garbage disposal. I guess she noticed my gasp when she mentioned the garbage disposal. I couldn't imagine all that good food going into their septic system, and we brought up composting. They don't garden, so don't have any interest in compost. To make a long story short, she is now saving her juicer pulp into a 5 gallon bucket, and brings it over once a week to dump into my tumbler. The next day, that section of the composter will be up to 110°F to 120°F.  She juices primarily carrots, kale, and beets. The finely pulverized pulp composts really fast, and the microbes can't wait to start digesting it.

Update:

This afternoon I took the compost thermometer out to check the status of the compost tumblers.  The side that is finishing was at 110°F, which is okay for that side. But, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the new side where I had just put the juice pulp was at 130°F, and it is really cooking! I added a little rock dust and some Biochar to that side, and in a few days I'll be adding another 5 gallons of juicer pulp to that side, and it appears the microbes are waiting an anxious to get it!
  cheers

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4504

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/4/2019, 11:13 pm

You both are a testament to SFG!  Raised beds sure do make gardening easier.

When we first moved into our house in Oct of 2013, the house was 2 years old and did have sprinklers and some landscaping. During that winter, I stepped on the red soil and sunk 3" in the ooze .  Come spring that ground was as hard as cement (exaggeration) so husband rented a good tiller.  When it came time for digging holes, I had to sit on top of the frame of a 3" auger to help punch through the hard pan.  The second year I wanted to redo the walkway strip so he rented a jack hammer to remove 2 feet of the miserable stuff and fill with bags of stuff.  He rototilled 13 cubic yards of humus into the soil and tree drainage holes.  

Back to worms.  The soil was so bad that there weren't any worms.  After the extensive work and amending, it was only a year and there were worms!

Please excuse typos and brevity as I am typing on the iPad as we drive down a bumpy CA highway.

Last edited by sanderson on 1/7/2019, 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/5/2019, 7:50 am

OG, that reminds me of my f-i-l. He decided that we needed a garden & he knew just where to put it! So he brings his tiller from AL. We're expecting a big honking thing (he was a BIG gardener/landscaper - a beautiful acre on the TN river) & he pulls out this tiny little thing, lol! He bounced all over the place!

Oh, thank goodness for SFG & NO TILLING!

Yolos, you can get red wigglers from your local bait shop or Wally world... Maybe add a few of those. And as wonderful as your beds are, I bet they'd love it!

Oh, & OG? I grew up in Doraville! About a mile from spaghetti junction...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/7/2019, 2:58 am

The red wigglers do well with PVC worm tubes. It's a great way to use kitchen wastes. Just make sure the tubes and scraps are in place before ordering or buying the worms. A little moldy foods will provide food and they will learn to return to the tube for dinner.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  raisedaddicted 4/25/2019, 1:17 am

What happens to your compost if you are putting daily coffee into it? I've gone back and forth between spreading it around the roses and [currently] filling the compost with lots of coffee grounds. I'm definitely at more than 10% - unfortunately for my compost I've been diligent about food waste and not so diligent about tending the gardens.
raisedaddicted
raisedaddicted

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/25/2019, 2:28 am

RA, You can also just store coffee grounds in a bottomless cage. Over the months, the worms will do a good job on them.

Would you like to introduce yourself. Your garden, compost pile, hopes and dreams this summer? We love photos! Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down