Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. Toplef10My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. I22gcj10My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. Toplef10My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. I22gcj10My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer.

+29
donnainzone5
trolleydriver
Betty Ann c
jazzycat
camprn
Hardcoir
morganfam7
Furbalsmom
EatYourVeggies
jpatti
miinva
igolfat8
graficow
southern gardener
RoOsTeR
shannon1
staf74
WardinWake
Nate
Mamachibi
westie42
Chopper
CaptainKidney
Icemaiden
NHGardener
duhh
llama momma
middlemamma
boffer
33 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. Empty My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer.

Post  boffer 9/7/2011, 3:50 pm

LOL

Sometimes juicer is slang for a wino or an athlete who uses steroids. In my case, I'm talking about vegetable and fruit juices.

We've got so many carrots this year that we're tired of trying out new carrot recipes. So I bought a juicer machine so we would have yet another way of eating carrots. I have found that juicing 6 carrots and 1 apple together makes about 12 oz, and I find to be quite tasty.

I'm hoping someone has some favorite juicing recipes to recommend. Anyone?
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. Empty Re: My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer.

Post  middlemamma 9/7/2011, 7:23 pm

I think Ward is an avid juicer...
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. Empty Re: My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer.

Post  llama momma 9/7/2011, 7:36 pm

For the longest time I thought juicing was a great idea. Thought I would try it out one of these days. I came across this article that makes some interesting claims about juicing. I was not expecting the negatives it claims to have on decreasing the vitamin and antioxidant properties. Hmm... so now I don't know what to believe!

http://www.fooducate.com/blog/2011/04/04/juicer-or-blender/
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 9/7/2011, 9:14 pm

I know people who swear by juicing, and they look better in their 70's than I do in my 30's!

There is always a negative to everything...if you are eating other things and not solely trying to exist on veggie juice I don't see why there would be a problem. Moderation in all things my dear people.

Very Happy Very Happy
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 9/8/2011, 2:04 am

Some of my favorite juices are:

Carrot, Kale or spinach, Cucumber, apple,pear

Kale, pineapple, cucumber, apple, pear

Tomato, spinach, carrot, sometimes a little bit of onion and some garlic

carrot, spinach, strawberry

kale, cucumber, carrots, blackberries

We were on a 2 week juice "feast" recently and tried a lot of different ones. Of course any fruit juices are good, but we tried to have something green in every juice. We had cantaloupe and grape this morning and it was good!

A few things we learned.

-cucumber is great for a filler very few calories, and goes with almost anything

-strawberries, or pineapple make almost anything better

-beets go a long way in juice

Hope this helps! We love juicing and can't wait for my own kale and spinach in the garden again!
duhh
duhh

Female Posts : 378

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 9/8/2011, 7:14 am

You all are making me want a juicer, or at least to juice things in the blender - next summer. I'll put learning how to do that on my list, along with getting a dehydrator. Now of course I'm going to have to add carrots to my garden (can you do that in a 6" bed???) and of course, they have to be carrots of various colors for various nutrients.

Never a dull moment.

Oh, and I would think bananas would sweeten up a juice drink and give it texture?
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 9/8/2011, 7:48 am

I think juicers are great if you have lots of fruit and veg available for them and see it as an extra in your diet rather than a big part of it. A recommended 5 portions of fruit/veg per day can only include 1 of juice - more portions of juice can only be good for you but don't count towards the 5.

My juicer says don't use banana or mango in it but both of these can be whizzed-up with some juice in a liquidizer.

For juice I love carrot, orange and pear juice. And it is great to put about an inch length of ginger root in there too. That is supposed to be super good for the immune system.

My Pilates teacher juices a lot of beetroot too but I'm not so sure about that flavour myself!
Icemaiden

http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 9/8/2011, 8:03 am

How well do your gardens grow up there in Iceland? Is that an ultra-short growing season, or is it not as cold as one would think?
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. Empty Get Juiced

Post  CaptainKidney 9/8/2011, 8:34 am

My wife worked at a "Health Food Store" for a couple of years. The best thing to come from that was a juicer. We loved the Carrot/Apple juice. I started calling it "CRAPPLE" juice for short. One thing to watch, people who drank too much carrot juice would get an orange tint to their skin. Josh might try to harvest you if you turn orange.
CaptainKidney
CaptainKidney

Male Posts : 45

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 9/8/2011, 9:09 am

NHGardener wrote:How well do your gardens grow up there in Iceland? Is that an ultra-short growing season, or is it not as cold as one would think?

Funny thing is that ever since I came here in '83 the average summer temperature has been going up and the last few summers have been very good - which means that we have lots of days when it gets up to 60°F and the night time temp is above 50°F.

The growing season is usually (May)-June-July-August but thanks to the odd hurricane from you guys things have stayed growing a bit longer this year.
Icemaiden

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 9/8/2011, 9:25 am

Haha - glad to help.

I didn't know too much would grow with highs at 60F tho. Huh.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/8/2011, 9:13 pm

Funny you should mention that. I have been juicing a lot lately.

My absolute faves:

Take that carrot and apple and go one better with a beet added. I absolutely love that one.

And in the evening I often enjoy a tomato and celery and a small piece of garlic (be careful, garlic can be overpowering) No vodka but very refreshing and very Bloody Mary like. Can add horseradish to that too.

Anything with melon or cucumber is very refreshing.

Next on the list is to try some more "green" juices. Using spinach, broccoli, cabbage, etc.

Adding an apple to almost any of them really does make it nice. And carrot juice itself is like candy - so sweet and delicious.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/8/2011, 9:17 pm

NHGardener wrote:
Oh, and I would think bananas would sweeten up a juice drink and give it texture?

Bananas don't "juice". But if you make the juice and add it to the blender with a frozen banana you have taken it to another level. Feels less like health food and more like dessert.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 9/8/2011, 11:36 pm

Watercress—Beet - It was an excellently tasty juice
2 beets, washed but not peeled
1/3 bunch watercress, washed
1 orange, peeled

Arugula—Tomato
1 cup canned tomatoes - using cooked or canned tomatoes provides more lycopenes
1/2 cup arugula, tightly packed
1/2 green pepper
1 tsp olive oil
black pepper to taste

Broccoli—Tomato
1 cup canned tomatoes
1/2 small head broccoli, with stem
1/4 fennel
5 springs parsley
1 rib celery
1 tsp olive oil
black pepper to taste

Watercress—Tomato
1 cup canned tomatoes
3/4 cup watercress, tightly packed
1/4 cucumber
1 tsp olive oil
black pepper to taste

Parsley—Tomato
1 cup canned tomatoes
1/4 cup parsley, tightly packed
1/4 fennel
1 tsp olive oil
dash of Tabasco

melons give sweetness and flavor, ginger gives a nice twist.
for a really healthy content greens are needed in juices.
Juicing is fine but in my opinion a smoothie is better in that there is really no wasted pulp and the phytonutrirents are not lost.
Save and freeze the pulp for dehydrator crackers etc.
Raw foods forums are good for many healthful uses of vegetables and some juicing ideas.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 9/9/2011, 7:00 am

So can you just use a blender then instead of a juicer? I wouldn't want to miss out on the pulp.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 9/9/2011, 7:43 am

NHGardener wrote:So can you just use a blender then instead of a juicer? I wouldn't want to miss out on the pulp.

Horses for courses I think.
I would juice carrots, not blend. Spinach you could do either I think. Bananas just blend.
Icemaiden

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/9/2011, 10:49 am

NHGardener wrote:So can you just use a blender then instead of a juicer? I wouldn't want to miss out on the pulp.

This quote is referring to vegetable pulp.
This is from a book that somebody wrote: Pulp is merely fiber and fiber has no significant nutritional value because the body can't digest it. That's why the fiber then goes on to help cleanse the colon. No juice machine can extract 100% of the nutrients. However, the drier the pulp, the more nutrition / juice has been extracted from the vegetables.
The author also recommends not juicing fruits other than apples, so that the fruit pulp can be eaten.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Looking around the net, it appears that juicing can become a lifestyle focus worth fighting for! I don't want to go there. I intend to be an occasional, recreational juicer, just on weekends kind of thing! Wink
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi 9/9/2011, 11:01 am

If your blood sugar is not normalized, you want to be careful juicing. One of the benefits of fiber is that because it isn't digested, it slows down the digestive process. So when you eat the whole food, the fiber trickles the sugars into the bloodstream at a slower rate than if you juice. Carrots have the highest glycemic index of any vegetable, and juicing increases the glycemic load. So, for example, 80g of raw carrots are 16 on the glycemic index, 250 mL of carrot juice is 43. Raw carrots carry a glycemic load of 1 and juice of 10.

These numbers might not mean a lot to many people, but if you are a low-carb dieter or a diabetic, they are important numbers to understand.
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 9/9/2011, 11:09 am

On the subject of blood sugar, I remember reading that cinnamon was great at helping to regulate blood sugar (or whatever is the correct term for that, maybe it's glucose, I don't remember the details) - so it makes me wonder. Would adding some cinnamon to the juice help with the blood sugar surges?

Cooked carrots with cinnamon are delicious, so I imagine some sprinkled into juices wouldn't be so bad tasting...
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 9/9/2011, 5:14 pm

Our juicer leaves the pulp pretty dry. We use the pulp to feed the worms or the dogs really love it too!

I have also heard that cinn. Is good for helpping to control blood sugar.
duhh
duhh

Female Posts : 378

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 9/10/2011, 2:25 am

Mama is exactly correct that is why only occasional juicing is better for you and why I prefer to blend up some smoothies using petty much the same ingredients. Juicing done more correctly should include a lot of greens to give better glycemic balance. That makes the juice bitter but balanced. I put cinnamon in a LOT of my cooking including the morning coffee and nearly all cereals get a hearty dose of it too. A really nice healthful after dinner dessert smoothie is fresh home made yogurt, nuts, coconut bits and cinnamon all well blended.
westie42

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 9/10/2011, 4:54 am

Does it matter which sort of cinnamon it is?

(sorry for hijacking the juice thread, Boffer)
Icemaiden

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 9/10/2011, 8:28 am

Any ground cinnamon I believe.

By the way, I also read that cinnamon is a great breath freshener, so you get two benefits. Smile
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 9/10/2011, 10:41 am

I am not sure how many different cinnamons there are but I buy regular organic from Frontier spices. Get it in bulk but don’t buy large quantities of an spice so it stays freshest. Rather you get regular or hot cinnamon to me is just a preference I use regular because it goes into quite a lot of what I eat. The same sentiment goes with turmeric for me.
westie42

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 9/10/2011, 10:56 am

Oh yeah. Turmeric is another goody. Smile And local honey. Of course, fresh eggs. The list goes on...
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next