Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Sq ft gardinging methods used outside the box Toplef10Sq ft gardinging methods used outside the box 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Sq ft gardinging methods used outside the box I22gcj10Sq ft gardinging methods used outside the box 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Sq ft gardinging methods used outside the box Toplef10Sq ft gardinging methods used outside the box 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Sq ft gardinging methods used outside the box I22gcj10Sq ft gardinging methods used outside the box 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Sq ft gardinging methods used outside the box

+3
middlemamma
littlesapphire
barthie
7 posters

Go down

Sq ft gardinging methods used outside the box Empty Sq ft gardinging methods used outside the box

Post  barthie 9/7/2011, 3:02 pm

we have a 20' x 27' area that used for a garden this past summer. we planted a row garden that really wasn't planned very well.

i read the all new square foot gardening book and am intrigued at some of its concepts. since i have this large area, i don't want to make boxes but use what i have. i have a compost pile going and will mix that with the soil before i plant next year. i'm looking to see what results people have had adapting the square foot gardening concepts to a larger garden.

for example, i'm going to build a trellis with emt as shown starting on page 148 of the book. page 192 of the book recommends 1 tomato vine per square foot, so i would like to lay out my tomatoes as such:

Code:
X  X  X  X  X  X  X  X  X  X

----------------------------

X  X  X  X  X  X  X  X  X

i will have two rows of plants. each row will be a foot apart and they will be staggered on the two sides, so they will not be using the same area of the trellis. so each plant will have a square foot on its side of the trellis. i plan on doing something similar with cukes, squash and beans. peppers will be set up in a 3x3 grid, so i will have 9 plants. something similar for patty pan, zuchinni, etc. i will leave 2-3 feet between everything for walking and working.

has anyone tried something similar to this and how did it work?

thanks
barthie

Back to top Go down

Sq ft gardinging methods used outside the box Empty Re: Sq ft gardinging methods used outside the box

Post  littlesapphire 9/7/2011, 8:34 pm

If you plan on planting in the ground instead of above ground, you might consider reading the old SFG book. I hear it's quite a bit different from the new SFG method, but you plant in the ground instead of above ground.

As for putting a trellis between two rows of tomatoes, I don't think that would work out too well. My tomatoes are super bushy and taking over the trellis, and I only have them on one side. I think having two rows of tomatoes on one trellis would be too crowded and lead to some disease from not enough ventilation. That's just my thought, though.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Sq ft gardinging methods used outside the box Empty Re: Sq ft gardinging methods used outside the box

Post  middlemamma 9/8/2011, 4:52 am

Your results may not be what you expect..when you do intensive planting (closer together) you need more nutrients in your planting medium...chances are your dirt won't cut it. Mel's method works because of all it's parts...the Mel;s Mix especially, it;s the backbone of the whole thing.
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 9/8/2011, 6:51 am

I did this in SFG. See this thread.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t7330-new-beds-and-new-trellis-pictures-from-knob-hill

I am pleased with the results. I have had some issues with early blight this year, and they are all trimmed back. Here is what they look like now. Plants are over the top of the trellis, and hanging over to the other side.

Sq ft gardinging methods used outside the box Dsc03815
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 9/8/2011, 8:56 am

Barthie:

Have you considered putting out just one SFG box in this plot so that you can compare the two methods? I think this would help ALL of us to see how it goes.

Littlesapphire is right, the old book might be of interest to you. However, the cost of adding vermiculite, peat, compost & fertilizer over that large an area seems cost/labor prohibitive to me.

Mel's Mix is cornerstone of the Square Foot Gardening method. Sadly, when people don't use MM and don't get the results they they expect, they tend to blame SFG and not the fact that they don't follow the method. (I'm not saying you would do this, but we've heard it in the past) Smile

If you would like to keep your large plot, but want a larger harvest, have you heard of/considered using the SPIN Gardening method?

Kim

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Sq ft gardinging methods used outside the box WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Denese 9/8/2011, 9:25 am

barthie,

Before Mel came up with his All New Square Foot Gardening, I used his original Square Foot Gardening methods for years. His methods of amending the soil and intensive square foot planting was ground breaking, and I had results I'd never had before! I used 2 ft. wide x 24 ft. long boxes and I was VERY pleased. I had 6 of these boxes spaced 2 ft. apart. I did plant my tomatoes in one foot squares back to back, and they did just fine. They were determinates, however, and I used cages versus trellis. That said, I still had the issues of having to completely turn over and amend my soil every year, and the worst part was the WEEDS! I hate pulling weeds! The only person I've ever heard that loves to pull weeds is Prince Charles.Laughing

Then, I wasn't able to physically garden for about 4 years, due to an automobile accident. This year when I finally felt I could get started again, I began researching to see if there was anything new with SFG. I was thrilled to discover Mel had improved his SFG methods a hundred fold! I now have 3 boxes that are 2ft. x 9 ft. long and haven't had to pull but a handful of weeds the entire summer season. My harvest has been far beyond my expectations, especially considering I got such a late start for my area (mid to late June). Besides what we've eaten, I've canned 12 pints of bread and butter pickles, and 30 pints of tomato sauce. I've just planted a fall garden for the first time, EVER! I'm so excited! bounce Normally, by the time my summer harvest is over, I'm so fed up with pulling weeds, I just give up till spring. I know now that I'll be able to get a head start next spring, as well, and am even planning to see how long I can keep my fall garden going.

I guess my whole point is this:

Yes, you can use Mel's original Square Foot Gardening method of amending your soil and his method of square foot intensive planting . You will more than likely get better results than you've ever had with normal "row" gardening. However, I totally recommend if it's in your budget to start at least one box using the new method, as well. Decide for yourself, which you prefer. Just be sure to use Mel's Mix with 5 DIFFERENT types of compost in your box, just to make sure you have a fair comparison. Smile

Good luck!
Denese
Denese

Female Posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Post  barthie 9/8/2011, 11:02 am

thanks everyone for your input. i'll search out the old book.

i have a compost pile going and have plenty of leaves to keep it filled (my mother-in-law is on three acres, with a wooded area on one side of the property). the compost will be mixed into the soil. i only plan on working up the area where we're planting, not the whole plot - no sense in working up the walkways.

pulling weeds was a pain at first, but hasn't been too bad since we covered the whole thing with straw.

ksroman - i'll check out the spin method as well. i'm reading everything i find and will combine different methods till i find what works best for me. for most vegetables, the row concept doesn't seem to make much sense to me. what i really agreed with in mel's book was the idea that, if plants only need to be 12" apart, why do i need three feet between rows? didn't make much sense to me when reading the packages.
barthie

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 9/8/2011, 11:55 am

barthie wrote:i'm reading everything i find and will combine different methods till i find what works best for me. for most vegetables, the row concept doesn't seem to make much sense to me. what i really agreed with in mel's book was the idea that, if plants only need to be 12" apart, why do i need three feet between rows? didn't make much sense to me when reading the packages.

Yes! We each need to find what's best for US.

One point about plant spacing, and it's already been brought up . . . the ONLY way you can jam plants in that tightly is with HEAVY amending.

Best wishes & much success.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Sq ft gardinging methods used outside the box WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  westx 9/8/2011, 6:51 pm

I started with Mels old method when it came out and still use it today because it does more than grow things in it, it helps improve the soil aound and under it. After the first year I had know problem mixing new compost in and really like that way much better than the new way. Didn't have weed problems after a couple years as I keep the space between the beds mulched and also mulched the bed with straw. The only reason I am using boxes now is because I live on pure limestone with only about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of top soil.
westx

Male Posts : 52

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down