Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Come look at our new school SFG gardens :) Toplef10Come look at our new school SFG gardens :) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Come look at our new school SFG gardens :) I22gcj10Come look at our new school SFG gardens :) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Come look at our new school SFG gardens :) Toplef10Come look at our new school SFG gardens :) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Come look at our new school SFG gardens :) I22gcj10Come look at our new school SFG gardens :) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 6:43 am

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 9:17 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:04 pm

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 3:24 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 2:28 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 9:46 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/15/2024, 9:10 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 11:36 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/14/2024, 3:18 am

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 11:01 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 3:07 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 7:58 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 6:08 am

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 5:46 pm

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 4:37 am

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/10/2024, 1:39 am

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/10/2024, 12:16 am

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/9/2024, 6:26 am

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/8/2024, 8:58 am

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 8:03 pm

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/7/2024, 3:06 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/6/2024, 9:25 am

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 1:02 pm

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/5/2024, 8:20 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/3/2024, 6:50 am

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/2/2024, 6:02 am

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 5:45 pm

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 3/1/2024, 12:12 am

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 9:26 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Come look at our new school SFG gardens :)

+8
Velvet Elvis
JustMe
capatl
quiltbea
BackyardBirdGardner
shannon1
middlemamma
milaneyjane
12 posters

Go down

Come look at our new school SFG gardens :) Empty Come look at our new school SFG gardens :)

Post  milaneyjane 9/3/2011, 7:53 am

I helped the Montessori charter school where I work and where two of my children go to school install some new SFG's. They had one already for the older grades but not the rest of the school. I was able to get the funds from our PTO and parent volunteers and students put them together. These pictures are from a few weeks ago with my daughter posing, LOL! I will have to get some new pictures now that the sunflowers have bloomed and gotten even taller.

The gardens are where the children can work on them during recess and still have adult /supervision. The first double bed has zinnia/marigold/geranium alongside romas/peppers/geranium. The second bed has sunflower, basil, carrots, beets, onion, marigold and alyssum. The final bed is a box of potato that the youngest 3-4-and 5 year olds planted. The classrooms will be cooking with all of it (spaghetti sauce, salsa etc...) and will use the flowers in the classrooms. The existing wood SFG was planted with 3 sisters.

The only thing we need to do differently next year is our gridding. We tried using string and it didn't work. Animals of either the 2 or 4 foot variety as well as our feathered friends couldn't seem to leave it alone.

Come look at our new school SFG gardens :) Img_0110

Come look at our new school SFG gardens :) Img_0111

Come look at our new school SFG gardens :) Img_0112

Come look at our new school SFG gardens :) Img_0113

The overgrown mess to the right of the wood SFG with the 3 sisters is where our existing compost pile had been. This year we will be redesigning our composting.

Come look at our new school SFG gardens :) Img_0114
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Come look at our new school SFG gardens :) Empty Re: Come look at our new school SFG gardens :)

Post  middlemamma 9/3/2011, 3:48 pm

That is AWESOME!!!! They are beautiful...

I hope others will follow your lead and get more of the schools involved...

Beautiful beds and your daughter looks proud as punch! EVEN BETTER!
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Come look at our new school SFG gardens :) Empty Re: Come look at our new school SFG gardens :)

Post  shannon1 9/3/2011, 3:56 pm

Wow, what a great way to get young SFGer's ready to grow their own food.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 9/3/2011, 6:44 pm

Who is responsible for watering during summer vacation? It looks great, and I love the flowers....less maintanence. Great job!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 9/3/2011, 7:01 pm

How wonderful that you can try SFG at the school so youngsters can learn how to grow things. They'll have the correct mindset when they are old enough to start their own SFG at home. Good job.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  capatl 9/3/2011, 8:23 pm

Very nice! Very Happy I am in charge of our garden at school. Had I known about SFG's before, I would have pushed for that instead. Although we are learning and growing plenty while having fun, SFG's add another mathematical twist to planting. I am envious!
capatl

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  JustMe 9/9/2011, 10:07 am

Definitely a garden to be proud of! What a wonderful way to integrate practical life work.

My children attended a Montessori school through K and grade 3. My son really took gardening and an appreciation for the outdoors during his years in Children's House. It helped that one of the assistants had a green thumb and their classroom had the largest outdoor courtyard.
JustMe

Back to top Go down

Post  Velvet Elvis 9/10/2011, 12:58 am

very nice!
Velvet Elvis

Back to top Go down

Post  kidsgardner 9/14/2011, 1:32 pm

Great diversity in your SF garden! I heard young sunflower buds will follow the sun but older ones don't. One suggetion is that we always add TickleMe Plants to our garden to further excite our kids about gardening and nature. TickleMe Plants are the only plant that will close their leaves and lower their branches when the kids tickle them. Our students run to the garden or (classroom when we bring them inside for the winter) to greet their Pet TickleMe Plants:lol: . It's one plant that every school garden benefits from as kids become even more sensitive to plants I love you as living things.

You can find educational information by searching TickleMe Plant
kidsgardner

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 9/26/2011, 10:27 pm

wondering how the school garden is going.....did the kids get to harvest anything yet?.....the kids at our school love to help in the fall and spring time and they get to nibble from the garden during outside play time Very Happy its pretty cool!

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane 10/7/2011, 11:37 am

The gardens were a BOOMING success!!!! Volunteers water over the summer months. The kids love to go out in the garden during recess to water, pick plants, and look for insects. So far this fall classrooms have made multiple batches of salsa, vegetable soup, baked beets, and oven roasted potato just to name a few things. We also have a freezer full of frozen tomato and basil for winter cooking. We also had to pick bags of green tomato because of a frost, and classrooms are doing various experiments to see how green tomat ripen fastest inside.

The flowers play a big part in the Montessori environment. The sunflower heads were harvested and used for fine motor skills in the Children's House (pre-k & kind) by having them pull the seeds out with tweezers. The zinnias decorated the classroom and were used in practical life for flower cutting work by the younger children. This week we took a walk to see the stages of seed development in the sunflowers---sounds simple but the 1st/2nd/3rd graders were enthralled!
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 10/7/2011, 6:45 pm

Congratulations. I reckon you have sown the seeds for the future generation who will always remember that happy time.

I know myself that my early years with my Dad laid the foundation of what I am doing today, even though there were years and years when I never did any gardening other than produce a few flowers.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  DebbieR 10/7/2011, 9:20 pm

That's beautiful! At my son's elementary school we are really having trouble getting started planting this year--fireants, drought, mandatory testing, etc.--and your pictures are inspiration to keep trying. Thanks for posting!
DebbieR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down