Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Basil question... Toplef10Basil question... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Basil question... I22gcj10Basil question... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Basil question... Toplef10Basil question... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Basil question... I22gcj10Basil question... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Basil question...

+12
janezee
Lemonie
quiltbea
westie42
jkahn2eb
llama momma
floyd1440
Icemaiden
shannon1
Chopper
camprn
middlemamma
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Basil question... Empty Basil question...

Post  middlemamma 8/27/2011, 4:44 pm

My basil has bolted...after a horrendous season and not being able to get any basil to grow halfway decently. NOW that it has bolted it has tons of growth and is gorgeous...are the leaves good still or is it like lettuce....after bolting no good to eat?
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Basil question... Empty Re: Basil question...

Post  camprn 8/27/2011, 5:27 pm

MM Just pinch off the flowers and toss those, then pinch off some of the side stems and leaves, leaving a bit of foliage and a tall plant with few leaves and the dear little basil plant will put out another batch of growth before the end of the season. Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Basil question... WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 8/27/2011, 9:53 pm

+1 Basil is wonderfully hardy. Keep pinching. I did it for months until I was so sick of basil I just let it go.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 8/27/2011, 11:20 pm

OK I went and did that just now! THANKS! Here's hoping! I have never had pesto, I planted a bunch in hopes to make some but it isn't looking promising.
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 8/28/2011, 1:30 am

MM next time your basil flowers don't just toss them, toss them on top of a dressed pasta or slad dish, they make a beautiful and edible garnish. IMHO the best pesto is made from pine nuts not walnuts.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 8/28/2011, 2:44 am

Thanks for the tip Shannon! I probably will try walnuts, kinda choked when I saw the price of pine nuts.
affraid
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 8/28/2011, 2:59 am

My DB the chef started me with pine nuts and now likes the flavor of walnuts better.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/28/2011, 7:30 am

middlemamma wrote:Thanks for the tip Shannon! I probably will try walnuts, kinda choked when I saw the price of pine nuts.
affraid
+1, pine nuts are prohibitively expensive. I use walnuts. Enjoy your pesto. Very Happy

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Basil question... WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 8/29/2011, 3:34 am

camprn wrote:
middlemamma wrote:Thanks for the tip Shannon! I probably will try walnuts, kinda choked when I saw the price of pine nuts.
affraid
+1, pine nuts are prohibitively expensive. I use walnuts. Enjoy your pesto. Very Happy
I was talking to my Mom about this nut choice thing and she pointed out walnuts are nutritional power houses:shock: I guess I maybe making walnut pesto from here on out. Moms are so smart.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 8/29/2011, 5:59 am

I used unroasted pecan nuts recently (because I had a bag-full given to me) and they were great in pesto.
Icemaiden

http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 10/8/2011, 6:47 am

First Time with basil and things did not go so well so I have some questions. How many plants do you put in one square? What is the best way to harvest basil? Some have said to let it grow then cut the plant just above a set of bottom two leaves and it will continue to grow while others say to pinch off the top flower. And everyone has their weather on the bottom of their posts; how do I do that?
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/8/2011, 7:20 am

floyd1440 wrote:First Time with basil and things did not go so well so I have some questions. How many plants do you put in one square? What is the best way to harvest basil? Some have said to let it grow then cut the plant just above a set of bottom two leaves and it will continue to grow while others say to pinch off the top flower. And everyone has their weather on the bottom of their posts; how do I do that?
Hi floyd, I gave my answer to this query, which you may read above. I planted between 2 and 5 per square. As to how to apply the Weather Sticker, see this instructional video found here.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/8/2011, 8:00 am

This summer was the first time growing genovese basil. Put one transplant per square, it grew a couple feet tall and crazy bushed out sideways too. I was not expecting this monster! To freeze fresh basil, simply wash and cut up the leaves, spread it in ice cube trays, add water, freeze. Pop them out and store in freezer bags, write the date on it. Done! I like freezing better than drying, to me it looks prettier and more nutritious frozen and easier to process, than dried. Drying took more messing around with, between washing all the leaves then keep checking the dehydrator, pick all the leaves back up with little pieces breaking going all over the place, I didn't enjoy the process. Although I had so much of it I tried it both ways.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  jkahn2eb 10/8/2011, 9:03 am

I have three Siam Queen basil plants each in their own square. They are incredibly hardy and even tastier.

Almost every morning I'm plucking purple flowers from the tips. When I want to harvest, I break off what I need. When I want to share with others, I cut low and toss them in a vase like flowers, in which they'll keep for a couple weeks.

Love Siam Queen basil.
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 10/8/2011, 10:40 am

I picked a couple branches off my basil and put them in a glass of water about 10 days ago now they have plenty of roots. They will get potted soon for indoor winter use. Last year they grew thru the winter and made nice spring outdoor plants with a big jump start. They will give some culinary leaves and fragrance thru the winter.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/8/2011, 1:06 pm

westie42 wrote:...put them in a glass of water about 10 days ago now they have plenty of roots. They will get potted soon for indoor winter use. Last year they grew thru the winter and made nice spring outdoor plants with a big jump start. They will give some culinary leaves and fragrance thru the winter.

Arrgh! I didn't know you could keep them alive over the winter. Mine is composting! Live and learn. Thank you I will save mine next year!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 10/8/2011, 1:29 pm

boffer's instructions on how to add the weather block don't work for me. Edited to add: I finally GOT it. Thanks boffer.

I've got two of my basil plants in 10" pots so I can bring them in when it gets too cold. I plan to have fresh basil for a long time. The ones planted in my SFG are getting too old and cold to be any good so I'm happy I planted in pots as well.

Basil question... 10-05-10

If you still have a plant in the SFG growing decently, why not transplant it to a large pot for the winter.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 10/8/2011, 3:52 pm

I love all of the amazing tips I'm learning on this forum! I have never made pesto and really wasn't sure what I was going to do with all of the basil I still have growing. PLUS- I just found out that pesto freezes well. Looking forward to having another way of enjoying my garden during the winter...and will definitely be potting some of the plant up and seeing if it will stick with me during the winter too!

Please share any other great ideas you have for using basil. Also...what about mint? We brewed it w/ our sun tea this summer and it was very yummy! But I've never had fresh mint before and am a little unsure of how to use it....and my plant is fairly large!
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 10/8/2011, 9:32 pm

Lemonie wrote:Also...what about mint? We brewed it w/ our sun tea this summer and it was very yummy! But I've never had fresh mint before and am a little unsure of how to use it....and my plant is fairly large!

This time of year, I cut down a lot of my mint, pull the leaves off the stems, put them on cookie sheets and store them in the oven until they dry, a couple of days. Nothing fancy. I have an electric oven, so no heat added.
Then I take the driest ones and put them in a jar next to the kettle so I can enjoy mint green tea all winter long. As the thicker ones dry, I throw them in. About 5-7 leaves make a pot, 2-4 a cup. YMMV.
I gotta get goin' before the slugs wipe it out!
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane 10/9/2011, 4:33 pm

I just freeze my basil leaves directly in a ziplock back and take out what I need. You have about thirty seconds to chop them while they are still crisp and frozen or you can chop them thawed. Tastes garden fresh.
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/9/2011, 4:42 pm

I have a few seedlings that managed to survive summer in the plastic cells, under the tomato plants. I am going to pot these up for the house. When I harvest basil leaves, and even if I am not making pesto, I usually do a whole big bunch and blenerdize it all with a bit of extra virgin olive oil, scoop the paste into ice cube trays and freeze. After the cubes are frozen I transfer them to a zip type plastic bag, keep it in the freezer and pull out a cube at a time, as needed.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 10/9/2011, 7:17 pm

i have fallen in love with basil Very Happy

i think im going to try a winter herb garden indoors this year.....my hubby put up a grow light with a shelf that i used last march to start my seedlings....i think i will try some in door herbs and make good use of it.....plus....i really want to bring in my pepper plant that has done so well this summer....poor thing had a bad start from the kitties eating it while it was still in doors before it warmed up enough to put it out....i have read they will continue to grow with a grow light.....Shocked nothing to lose since i want to grow some herbs now too.....Very Happy

for those who grow in doors.....what size pots should i get for the herbs?

hugs

rose and thank you all for giving us such great idea's!
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/9/2011, 8:03 pm

There are some useful videos here.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 10/10/2011, 7:12 pm

Thanks for the help with the weather logo
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 10/10/2011, 7:18 pm

Next year I will try genovese basil and put 2 per square and see how it grows. Still seems to be some different ideas on how top prune them but I will attempt to cut some back and pull the flowers off the top to keep it going unless someone has better idea.

My wife LOVES basil......
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next