Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mel's Mix Lab Analysis Results Toplef10Mel's Mix Lab Analysis Results 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mel's Mix Lab Analysis Results I22gcj10Mel's Mix Lab Analysis Results 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mel's Mix Lab Analysis Results Toplef10Mel's Mix Lab Analysis Results 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mel's Mix Lab Analysis Results I22gcj10Mel's Mix Lab Analysis Results 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mel's Mix Lab Analysis Results

+24
Turan
has55
walshevak
AvaDGardner
plantoid
Lindacol
NHGardener
Unmutual
littlesapphire
sceleste54
Cincinnati
sfg4uKim
squaredeal
AprilakaCCIL
1airdoc
madnicmom
shannon1
Chopper
trukrebew
fiddleman
BackyardBirdGardner
camprn
littlejo
boffer
28 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Mel's Mix Lab Analysis Results Empty Mel's Mix Lab Analysis Results

Post  boffer 8/15/2011, 12:21 pm

For five years I've gardened by the book. It's been MM only. No teas, supplements, additives, fertilizers, emulsions, or extras. It was totally a whim to have my latest batch of MM tested. I was seeking the advice of a plant pathologist (non-soil problem) and decided at the last second as I was heading out the door, that I would get my MM analyzed while I was there. (For those of you in my neck of the woods, our version of the county ag agent is the WSU Extension facility in Puyallup; that's where I went.)

As it turned out, they don't do soil testing, but they did provide a list of certified labs. I sent samples to a local lab in Poulsbo and one to a lab on the east coast. They both had several different test packages to choose from; I chose the ones recommended for home gardens-vegetables where possible .

Lab 1:

pH 6.8
Phosphorus: very high
Potassium: very high
Calcium: very high
Magnesium: very high
Sodium: high
Nitrogen: very high

In summary and suggestions, as written by the QC Manager:

"This sample appears to be more of a compost/vermiculite mix rather than a soil, and the high results back up that observation. The pH is good for vegetable gardens.

The calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, phosphorus, and nitrogen are all about 10x higher than the amounts found in a true soil. The ideal thing to do would be to use this as an amendment and not use more than a one part mix to 9 parts regular soil. This will put the nutrient levels in a safe range.

The organic matter is also very high and will release even more nutrients when broken down by microorganisms."

Lab 2:

(They provided results via PDF and the details can be viewed here.

pH 6.8
Nitrogen: medium

Micronutrient Levels: within normal range
Misc. metal content: next to none

In summary and suggestions:

"The only adjustment needed is to apply nitrogen 1/4 pound per 100sf. Possible sources are 1lb. of 30-3-3 type fertilizer or 4lbs. of dried blood.

So there you are: results from two accredited labs that don't agree with each other, nor do they really agree with my assessment of crop growth and harvest.

My summary: I grow everything in MM, and everything is growing as well as it can given my cool weather this year. My corn, a heavy nitrogen feeder, is healthy.

What would you do now that you have numbers, if anything?

My current compost mix is a 6 way, approximately equal amounts:
grass, leaves, mushroom compost, chicken, horse, and cow manures

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Mel's Mix Lab Analysis Results Empty Re: Mel's Mix Lab Analysis Results

Post  littlejo 8/15/2011, 5:06 pm

Boffer, is your mushroom compost bought at the store?

Interesting that they don't have same report. I think your garden does fine, so, I think you've given us a recipe for very good compost. I have chicken, but no cow or horse available. I will see how mine turns out.

I might get mine tested before planting next spring. It's only 10 bucks to test thru Clemson ext. for residents.

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/15/2011, 7:01 pm

littlejo wrote:Boffer, is your mushroom compost bought at the store?

Interesting that they don't have same report. I think your garden does fine, so, I think you've given us a recipe for very good compost. I have chicken, but no cow or horse available. I will see how mine turns out.

I might get mine tested before planting next spring. It's only 10 bucks to test thru Clemson ext. for residents.

Jo
Hey Jo, cow manure is closer than expected? a quick search on Google says you have a few dairy farms nearby Wink Link

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Mel's Mix Lab Analysis Results WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/15/2011, 7:19 pm

The calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, phosphorus, and nitrogen are all about 10x higher than the amounts found in a true soil. The ideal thing to do would be to use this as an amendment and not use more than a one part mix to 9 parts regular soil. This will put the nutrient levels in a safe range.

I will interpret this in case no one speaks "lab" or "nerd" since I'm fluent in both.

Holy flipping crapoli! You have the best possible growing medium for plants. It was also so fluffy that I bet you just pop any weeds out. If you went into business selling this stuff, you would get complaints that it's "too powerful" and would make a LOT more money if you diluted it quite a bit. If anyone deviated from your recipe, they should be taken out back by the woodshed and flogged.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  fiddleman 8/15/2011, 10:05 pm

boffer wrote:

My summary: I grow everything in MM, and everything is growing as well as it can given my cool weather this year. My corn, a heavy nitrogen feeder, is healthy.

What would you do now that you have numbers, if anything?

What would I do? Nothing.

Your plants grow well, and they're not lacking anything, really. Obviously, the amount of nutrients aren't burning the plants (why I love compost so much!) with everything the plant could basically want for nutrients, all you need supply are decent temperatures, some sun, and some rain. (Yeah, I know... rain you gots, warm temps and sun... not so much Smile )

Congratulations on a well balanced growing mix, (not soil), and thanks for sharing the numbers- it's interesting to get the information from the tests - they disagree on the nitrogen numbers, and basically say you can use your growing mix as fertilizer!

Powerful stuff...

Mark
fiddleman
fiddleman

Male Posts : 121

Back to top Go down

Post  trukrebew 8/15/2011, 11:23 pm

[quote="BackyardBirdGardner"]

I will interpret this in case no one speaks "lab" or "nerd" since I'm fluent in both.

Holy flipping crapoli!

At least 50% of it is holy, BBG! rofl

Boffer, Thanks for providing some verifiable scientific data to support Mel's recipe. The dual independent labs were a smart move. Clearly, the QC Manager is not the same thing as a QG Manager (Quality Garden). My personal compost is completely lacking in the stinky stuff, where yours is almost off the charts. way to go

Although there is a bit of room left for a certain Teen Wizard to try to stick his nose in and go for a perfect score. Wink Wink nudge, nudge.

In the meantime, I have to get me some more crapoli.
trukrebew
trukrebew

Male Posts : 129

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 8/15/2011, 11:26 pm

boffer wrote:

Lab 1:

pH 6.8
Sodium: high
Nitrogen: very high

In summary and suggestions, as written by the QC Manager:

"This sample appears to be more of a compost/vermiculite mix rather than a soil, and the high results back up that observation. The pH is good for vegetable gardens.

The calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, phosphorus, and nitrogen are all about 10x higher than the amounts found in a true soil. The ideal thing to do would be to use this as an amendment and not use more than a one part mix to 9 parts regular soil. This will put the nutrient levels in a safe range..."

Well, they got the same soil ph and most of the rest of it they seemed to agree on, just different conclusions. I especially am wondering what is "unsafe" about high levels of nutrients that plants need to thrive. I will tell you, it explains why you can do a more intensive form of gardening. Dufusses.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 8/16/2011, 2:54 am

Mel's Mix Lab Analysis Results 68739 Dufusses

Thanks Boffer I was going to get my MM tested before I started root crops to make sure the PH was close to neutral (7 for you non-nerds). Now I may just save some of that hard earned cash.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/16/2011, 3:26 pm

*littlejo, I get mushroom compost by the yard from a local retailer who gets it from the Ostrom Mushroom facility about 20 miles away. It's also available by the bag at better nurseries around here, produced by Whitney Farms.

*trukrebew, I wouldn't doubt that the Teen Wizard has a magic elixir up his sleeve!

So what have I learned? Nothing much. Knowing that my pH is 6.8 or my K is 1171 ppm makes for boring water cooler talk. The numbers are in a usable range just like Mel said they would be. My vegetables have grown just like he said they would. It's still amazing to me sometimes that it really is as simple as using five composts.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 8/16/2011, 10:45 pm

Well, this pretty much backs up this thread:

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t7023-mel-s-mix-pyramid

My dad has said about 3 times this season " wonder what your analysis would be?" Well, I just might have to send my sample off to OSU , who in turn send it to MSU (boo hiss!!!) and send the results to his house! LOL
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  1airdoc 8/24/2011, 9:48 am

As a result of another post ("disappinted in output"), I took a sample of my MM from the garden to the CoOp last week for analysis. The CoOp sent it to the lab, and the lab refused to run it. They said it was "potting soil mix" and that if I wanted an analysis, I'd have to dig deeper and get some "real soil!"
1airdoc
1airdoc

Male Posts : 188

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/24/2011, 9:59 am

1airdoc wrote:As a result of another post ("disappinted in output"), I took a sample of my MM from the garden to the CoOp last week for analysis. The CoOp sent it to the lab, and the lab refused to run it. They said it was "potting soil mix" and that if I wanted an analysis, I'd have to dig deeper and get some "real soil!"
Where are you located? I suggest sending it to the UMass lab in Amherst Ma.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Mel's Mix Lab Analysis Results WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  AprilakaCCIL 8/24/2011, 11:02 am

AprilakaCCIL
AprilakaCCIL

Female Posts : 219

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/24/2011, 11:08 am

UMass was one of the labs that I used. The standard test. I did not identify my growing medium as MM. It was convenient for me to use the smallest 'If it fits, it ships' boxes from the post office.

It is considered advantageous to utilize a lab close to one's home because they will be familiar with regional soils and appropriate recommendations. I figure it doesn't matter a whit with MM.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  squaredeal 8/24/2011, 1:17 pm

If anyone is interested, here is a page listing addresses for soil testing, including the UMass site Boffer used. Actually, it may be worth it; our extension service is suggesting it for community gardeners in Marion county, IN because of the high levels of toxic metals present in regular soil.

http://www.ag.purdue.edu/counties/marion/Pages/SoilSamplingTesting.aspx
squaredeal
squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 8/24/2011, 7:46 pm

1airdoc wrote:As a result of another post ("disappinted in output"), I took a sample of my MM from the garden to the CoOp last week for analysis. The CoOp sent it to the lab, and the lab refused to run it. They said it was "potting soil mix" and that if I wanted an analysis, I'd have to dig deeper and get some "real soil!"

Clemson ext. in SC charges $10 for no soil mixes, less if you use dirt. I think that is for residents only, they may not do out of state testing.

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 9/3/2011, 4:31 pm

The MD Extension Service lists Regional Soil Test Labs:

Soil Test Labs

I've found that the costs have changed.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Mel's Mix Lab Analysis Results WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Mel's Mix Lab Analysis Results Empty Analysis of my MM

Post  Cincinnati 9/5/2011, 10:11 am

I bought a soil test kit at Lowes that tests for pH, N, P, & K. It's a rough litmus type test that uses matching colors to a standard. My particular MM was

~6.5 pH
N very high,
P very high,
K high to very high

I thought this was good for gardening, but I wanted numerical values & ranges. So I sent a sample to the Auburn University Soil Test Lab. I'll have results to post mid-week

I discovered this post a few days after sending the sample. I look forward to reporting back As well.

FYI. I use a homemade compost

Last edited by Cincinnati on 9/5/2011, 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Cincinnati

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/5/2011, 12:13 pm

After I got my results back, I dusted off my home soil test kit. I've never been able to get repeatable results, and it's my understanding that the soil sample is just too small to be representative of one's garden soil. Here is the P test; I can't even tell if there is any in there, although both labs said P content was high.

Mel's Mix Lab Analysis Results Dscn0911

I'm done wasting money on home tests.

The scary part about getting one's mix analyzed is, what if it's out of whack? How would you go about adjusting your compost types/ratios? Sure, in the short run, you could salvage your mix with amendments, but in the long, you'd want the right compost mix so you didn't have to mess with that stuff.

I look forward to seeing your results. It's just so amazingly simple that any five quality composts can create a thriving garden.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincinnati 9/6/2011, 7:44 am

boffer wrote:After I got my results back, I dusted off my home soil test kit. I've never been able to get repeatable results, and it's my understanding that the soil sample is just too small to be representative of one's garden soil. Here is the P test; I can't even tell if there is any in there, although both labs said P content was high.

Mel's Mix Lab Analysis Results Dscn0911

I'm done wasting money on home tests.

The scary part about getting one's mix analyzed is, what if it's out of whack? How would you go about adjusting your compost types/ratios? Sure, in the short run, you could salvage your mix with amendments, but in the long, you'd want the right compost mix so you didn't have to mess with that stuff.

I look forward to seeing your results. It's just so amazingly simple that any five quality composts can create a thriving garden.

I did my tests in reverse. When I ran my home test for Phosphorus, it came up decidedly blue. Every one of my tests returned a defined solid color.

I make my own compost. I mixed a batch of 15 gallons of MM and blended it well, crumbling it up with my hands and mixing it well. That sample was as uniform and representative of the batch as I could make it. I really should have run the test several times and averaged them, but since I was also sending it off for testing, I saw no need to run it so many times.

If my result is deficient, I'll adjust the next batches of compost, and add organic additives to my MM. If not, I'll continue to compost as I have been.

One fair warning: The Soil Test Lab at Auburn University, phoned to tell me that the standard soil test was inadequate for a potting mix such as mine that is so high in organics. I approved the more expensive test which will not only return pH, N, P, K values but also Ca, salts, Mn, Cu, and a few other trace metals.

Therefore, since MM is so high in organics, I don't know if those home test kits are appropriate here. I will know this week.

Yes, it is amazingly simple that any 5 composts can produce a thriving garden. It's so unfortunate that when buying compost it is caveat emptor. I bought 10 bags on sale at Lowes and got what looked like tree bark mulch. I also bought Scotts top soil and got rocks, sticks and everything but dirt. I invested in a tumbling composter to more quickly make that black gold, and so I could control and know what I have in it.
Cincinnati

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 9/6/2011, 8:37 am

The Soil Test Lab at Auburn University, phoned to tell me that the standard soil test was inadequate for a potting mix such as mine that is so high in organics.

Isn't this part all we need to know? I just don't understand why people spend money for something we already know out of curiosity. Around this forum, we always talk of wasteful environmental practices. Isn't this just wasteful fiscal practice? (Not directed at you, specifically, Cincinnati....directed at hypocrisy as a whole.)
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 9/6/2011, 9:53 am

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:
The Soil Test Lab at Auburn University, phoned to tell me that the standard soil test was inadequate for a potting mix such as mine that is so high in organics.

Isn't this part all we need to know? I just don't understand why people spend money for something we already know out of curiosity. Around this forum, we always talk of wasteful environmental practices. Isn't this just wasteful fiscal practice? (Not directed at you, specifically, Cincinnati....directed at hypocrisy as a whole.)

I agree with this wholeheartedly. In MY case it's a business decision. I want to have the analysis run and put the results on my web site for my customers to know that they are indeed getting the very best.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com

Mel's Mix Lab Analysis Results WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/6/2011, 10:28 am

ksroman wrote:I agree with this wholeheartedly. In MY case it's a business decision. I want to have the analysis run and put the results on my web site for my customers to know that they are indeed getting the very best.

Getting your commercial product evaluated will be good for your self confidence.

Would it be to your advantage to follow Mel's lead and not promote numbers? Despite his engineering background, there are no test results in his book. I often wonder about why that is so.

Has anyone purchased the official Mel's Mix that was sold at Lowes this past spring/summer? Are there test result numbers on the bag? Any type of nutritional analysis presented?
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 9/6/2011, 11:12 am

Bof:

The main reason is to QC what we're getting from our two compost vendors . . . to see if we need to "tweak" our proportions or add something else.

Our second reason is to let our customers know WHY our SFG4U Growing Medium (the Foundation's choice of wording as we of course cannot call it Mel's Mix) is worth what they sometimes feel is a high price.

Kim

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 9/6/2011, 11:50 am

Commercial validation makes a lot of sense. My smart-alek'd comment was aimed more at personal, end-user use. We know it grows stuff well. Why pay money to have a lab tell us what we already know? Again, though, just being my smarty pants self.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next