Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix Toplef10Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix I22gcj10Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix Toplef10Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix I22gcj10Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix

+4
Kelejan
Denese
middlemamma
Chopper
8 posters

Go down

Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix Empty Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix

Post  Chopper 8/12/2011, 10:00 pm

And to make a short story long...

I have not planted anything since February or so. At that time my life took a nose dive - just when I thought I was coming up for air - and it sent me into a depression. Part of that involved the garden. I thought I would have to move asap and I finished up with what was growing, but otherwise could not bear to look at it or go in the backyard.

Depression, although hideously boring on the outside, is a real thing. Who knew? Managed to not sink, and almost started the garden a few times but would just get overwhelmed. OK. Fast forward to now. The imminent end of living here was postponed yet another month. And here it is August and I have missed the whole summer and I could have planted!

So last night I said "Screw it. Last year the garden saved my sanity and I could certainly use some more this year so I am planting. Move be damned" And today that is what I did. However, this was now in a backyard that had been horribly neglected in a year when we had record rains. It is a jungle. A jungle I have not mowed in months. But - baby steps.

I cleared a pathway around the first two beds and there I planted beets, carrots, zucchini (in the 2X2), peas (early but oh well) and a tomato (late, but never say die!) I was able to snag at the local Lowes. I was sure they would all be gone. The peas and tomato are both a crap shoot. Well, it is ALL a crap shoot because I really do not know what tomorrow will bring except I know that I now have my garden started.

Who knows? Maybe I will win the lottery and buy the house outright. But then, dang - I will be stuck with a really overgrown backyard! LOL.

MEL'S MIX: When cleaning up the boxes, the weeds that were there - full grown rascals, came out very easily. Thank you Mel!

Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix Garden10
A hard won pathway around the boxes - a 6X3 and a 2X2.

Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix Garden11
What the other boxes look like. Super easy to pull weeds from MM though!

Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix Garden12

It all looks so neat at this point. I could not find the pink nylon string I have bought for the grid so I used the plastic plant tape. An expensive, but available, option.

Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix Garden14
I planted peas and tomatoes side by side. Seems odd.

Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix Garden15

And look what I found in my 2X2 - a sweet potato coming back. Must have left a piece in the ground. Can't bear to pull it. Hopefully it and the zucchini will do OK together.

Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix Garden13
My beautiful wild flower box never gave up and in the midst of the chaos came back and lightened my day.

Last edited by Chopper on 8/12/2011, 10:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix Empty Re: Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix

Post  middlemamma 8/12/2011, 10:05 pm

Chopper, as a fellow gardener who can empathize with the kind of despair a garden can heave you up from the depths of...it warms my heart tremendously to read this post! I wish I could come help you clean up your other boxes but instead all I can give you is a couple of virtual hugs!

Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix 993580 Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix 993580 Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix 993580 Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix 993580

YOU GO CHOPPER!
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix Empty Re: Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix

Post  Chopper 8/12/2011, 10:42 pm

Thank you middlemamma. I knew you would understand.

And boffer, as I was planting I was thinking, "Next place I really have to look in to putting some table tops together"!
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Denese 8/12/2011, 11:38 pm

Chopper, if/when you do move, you can bag up all that glorious MM in big black trash bags and take it with you!! And, I'd take my boxes, etc. as well, if possible. This is assuming you'll have a place to put in a garden where you move, of course.

{{Big hugs}}, too. Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix 993580Depression can be really difficult. Been there, done that (more than once ). Gardening is good for the soul!!
Denese
Denese

Female Posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/13/2011, 3:28 am

As middlemama says, "YOU GO CHOPPER"

I have found that when feeling down, gardening is very helpful, and with SFG it seems that one can make a great improvement in the appearance of the beds in a very short time.

Keep it up! BIG hug
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 8/13/2011, 7:36 am

Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix 993580 Way to go, Chopper! MM is just the BEST! It is amazing how much it lifts the spirits just pulling weeds from MM - the visible result is so fast and dramatic, just what depression needs (yes, from experience)!Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix 993580

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 8/13/2011, 7:58 am

My mother said she could always tell when I had been working in the garden (flower or veggie) from the tone of my voice. It was brighter.

I had to leave my garden and farm out my summer plants, but I still don't regret going ahead and making the effort. Don't know what I'll find when I return, but I was in a better frame of mind for the effort.

Slow and steady and even a small garden will pay dividends.

Kay, broadcasting from Vienna

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 8/13/2011, 2:38 pm

Chopper, really glad to see you back in the garden. It can be a life saver for many of us. Enjoy what time you have at this location and really think hard about those table tops when you do move. I love my TTs and they make "working" in the garden so much easier, especially with everything "right in your face". Enjoy!

Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix 993580 Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix 993580 Garden Again! And God Bless Mel's Mix 993580
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  AZDYJ2K 8/13/2011, 6:24 pm

Your garden looks great and the surrounding areas also look very nice. I was expecting to see huge overgrowth of grass and such...the pictures show it actually looks really nice. Congratulations on starting your garden!
AZDYJ2K
AZDYJ2K

Male Posts : 169

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 8/14/2011, 6:15 am

AZDYJ2K wrote:Your garden looks great and the surrounding areas also look very nice. I was expecting to see huge overgrowth of grass and such...the pictures show it actually looks really nice. Congratulations on starting your garden!

LOL. I can assure you that the pictures were taken to the best advantage of the garden. I made sure it was a tight enough shot to block out the surrounding chaos. But no matter. I have seeds in the ground and all is right with the world again.

And thanks for the encouragement my garden friends.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/14/2011, 8:42 am

You sound happier, Chopper.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum