Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hummingbirds! Toplef10Hummingbirds! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hummingbirds! I22gcj10Hummingbirds! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hummingbirds! Toplef10Hummingbirds! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hummingbirds! I22gcj10Hummingbirds! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hummingbirds!

+9
Goosegirl
llama momma
quiltbea
westie42
nancy
shannon1
boffer
martha
BackyardBirdGardner
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hummingbirds! Empty Hummingbirds!

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/8/2011, 9:37 pm

If you like these sweet creatures, I may have a few shots for you. There is a detailed post on my blog, but here are the pictures. Summer is a perfect time of year to set up the hummingbird feeder, especially if you plant bright colored, tubular flowers in, or near, your SFG.

Hummingbirds! 6023679521_4bf8579baf

Hummingbirds! 6024233618_602db2d2c0

I hope to improve upon these since they are such territorial birds. They fight and swarm with acrobatics that would make Chuck Yeager jealous. They are really fun to watch when they fight over a spot at the watering hole.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Hummingbirds! Empty Re: Hummingbirds!

Post  martha 8/8/2011, 10:18 pm

Your photos are gorgeous!

I have a nepeta Walker's Low that attracted A Hummingird early this summer. That's it. One. Saw him/her about three times and then nothing. Suggestions for how I can get lots of them, or at least one to hang around?
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/9/2011, 12:00 am

martha wrote:Your photos are gorgeous!

I have a nepeta Walker's Low that attracted A Hummingird early this summer. That's it. One. Saw him/her about three times and then nothing. Suggestions for how I can get lots of them, or at least one to hang around?

Boy, I don't know. Flowering plants that they like is a sure bet. Butterfly bush, nasturtium, any kind of "tulipy" bloom that requires a long beak to get into the nectar is a sure thing. If you plant them, they will come. However, it may take seasons at first, especially if you don't have them around already. But, migrants in the fall will find the blooms, and that may indicate a spot to set up shop next year....especially in the absence of competition. I used to see the migrants hit my impatiens every September. It took them forever to figure out those pretty pinks and purples didn't produce nectar. Trumpet vine is the huge winner, imo, but I wouldn't plant it in my SFG.

Here is what I found in an article to plant:

10 Flowers Commonly Used for Attracting Hummingbirds:

1. Bee Balm
  2. Red Columbine
  3. Delphinium and Hollyhock
  4. Butterfly Bush (invasive in some cases)
  5. Catawba Rhododendron
  6. Rose of Sharon
  7. Trumpet Vine (unfortunately, invasive) and Trumpet Honeysuckle
  8. Cardinal Vine
  9. Lantana and Fuchsia
  10. Silk Tree (unfortunately, invasive)

In my blog, in my signature, I describe the story of how mine found me. Forgive me, it's late, and I don't want to retype it. But, neighbors that have feeders for hummingbirds leave opportunity for you to establish a population, too. Look around your neighborhood and see if anyone else is feeding them.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment on the pics.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/9/2011, 12:07 am

My wife has planted all kinds of plants to attract hummers. But we still had to put up feeders early in the year to keep them around until the plants started to bloom. I guess some of them migrate.

I told my MIL at the dinner table one time, that another thing her daughter and I had in common was getting more hummers....
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 8/9/2011, 12:15 am

Razz Razz
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/9/2011, 12:22 am

martha wrote:Razz Razz

Yeah, but you should have seen everyone looking out of the corner their eyes at each other to see if they had heard what everyone else had heard! yahoo
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 8/9/2011, 2:39 am

In The back yard a few years ago I planted Fire spike and Fire bush (native plants) for the butterflies. The little humming birds started visiting them the 1st year.

A couple of days ago I was sitting in my garden and almost swatted one as it headed for the Bat Faced Cuphea I had planted for the bees:oops: . It came from over my left shoulder and the loud buzzing startled me. Guess that one won't be back soon:( .
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/9/2011, 9:50 am

boffer wrote:
martha wrote:Razz Razz

Yeah, but you should have seen everyone looking out of the corner their eyes at each other to see if they had heard what everyone else had heard! Hummingbirds! 13688

You likely suffer from the same disorder as I do. TMOCH- Too much off-color humor. My friends and family all expect it to come out of my mouth now. Some will inadvertantly put it on a tee for me to knock out of the park, and when I don't rise to the occasion, they give me more trouble than if I just do what they expected. It's a reputation we need to uphold, Boffer.....people count on us....lol.

My blog title has raised eyebrows across my Facebook community. Well, duh. What else would you expect out of my mouth/brain. "Summers mean Hummers" has even inspired a phone call explaining that a particular person expected nothing less when they saw it.....but, they clicked on it anyway because they couldn't fathom what it was actually about. (Yeah, like I'm going to put what your thinking in my blog...lol. I'm just going to make sure you pick up on the same pun that popped into my head...that's all.)

Anyway, yes, they migrate. There are also transients that have no real place in life yet...like a 3 year old lion without a harem. You are right about placing feeders in the spring until the plants have a chance to bloom. A migrant may come back in spring to something he/she saw last fall. Anything in place to help them stick around will help you see them over the summer. Once you get a nesting pair nearby, there really is no stopping them.

That's our issue over here. I have enough established neighbors (polite for "aging) that they've been feeding birds and humminbirds for eons, as they would say. I just had to put up a feeder and wait for either someone to get lazy or the new crop of juveniles to fledge and look for their own territories. I have no idea which happened, but I finally have the little guys swarming above my garden.

I may need to blog about this one, too, but I have wrens and native sparrows also nesting very close to my garden. My goal is to have these natural pest destroyers routinely inspect the garden for infestations. The more diversity in birds I can bring in, the better my chances of rarely seeing an outbreak of buggies. It's just funny how the birding obsession goes so well with gardening of any kind.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 8/9/2011, 10:25 am

My Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds love foxglove and lantana. And I have 3 feeders for them as well. They begin showing up in April and I imagine the southern migration will begin fairly soon. The females are downright mean! Even though one of my feeders seats 6, none of these ladies is willing to share. It is very common to hear a little squeak of authority as they chase each other off. I bet I have 5 or 6 females, but only 1 or 2 males. They are one of my most-favorite birds to watch. The whole physics of them amazes me!
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/9/2011, 2:18 pm

nancy wrote: They are one of my most-favorite birds to watch.

Mine, too. They give me more behaviors to watch than my dog and children combined.

Another thing that amazes me about animals, whether it be insects or birds, is that they NEVER take a holiday. That ant or bee is working tirelessly as long as the sun is up. He will be there on Christmas, his birthday, and even on Sunday, still putting in his 14 hour day, 7 days a week. He doesn't complain. He doesn't even get paid. He just punches in at sunrise and does his job. He doesn't need a break to watch crappy reality TV. He doesn't need to ask questions on a forum (lol). He just works and works and works. I admire that aspect of the simplest creatures.

We humans can be such softies.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/9/2011, 2:20 pm

There's no doubt that hummers can make me feel lazy.

We get a lot of Anna's and Rufous'
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/9/2011, 2:34 pm

boffer wrote:There's no doubt that hummers can make me feel lazy.

We get a lot of Anna's and Rufous'

I hope that doesn't go over everybody's heads.

I would love to see other species. But, those of us east of about Topeka, KS, or the plains in general, have only the Ruby-throated Hummingbird to watch. You westerners have so many things I'd like to see over there. ....most of them in SoCal...Twisted Evil
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 8/9/2011, 3:05 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:
nancy wrote: They are one of my most-favorite birds to watch.

Mine, too. They give me more behaviors to watch than my dog and children combined.

Another thing that amazes me about animals, whether it be insects or birds, is that they NEVER take a holiday. That ant or bee is working tirelessly as long as the sun is up. He will be there on Christmas, his birthday, and even on Sunday, still putting in his 14 hour day, 7 days a week. He doesn't complain. He doesn't even get paid. He just punches in at sunrise and does his job. He doesn't need a break to watch crappy reality TV. He doesn't need to ask questions on a forum (lol). He just works and works and works. I admire that aspect of the simplest creatures.

We humans can be such softies.

Wait till you retire that is a 7 day a week job and then nearly all you have said above will describe you.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 8/9/2011, 9:16 pm

I think the ruby-throated hummers are extraordinarily beautiful, so since that is the only species I see I can't really complain. When I see a male, it just takes my breath away. Such a treat.

And I truly believe that some birds fly for fun. And some sing for the song. It isn't always work. If I could be a turkey vulture for a day just to ride the breeze, I totally would!
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 8/9/2011, 9:29 pm

We only have Ruby-Throateds in Maine.

My flower bed is so full of bee balm that the hummers are loving it this year, that and the honeysuckle.

I still put out one feeder for them and refresh it every 3 days. We only have the one pair right now so that's plenty.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Hummingbirds! Empty Re: hummingbirds

Post  llama momma 8/10/2011, 8:43 am

www.Hummingbirds.net

Very enjoyable website - everything about hummers. How to attract hummers, syrup information, all kinds of info about the little darlings and best of all it has an updated national migration map so you can see when to set up feeders for their return to the U.S. each Spring.

Had the pleasure of sitting still with their syrup feeder in my hands and these little birds are so bold they come and feed right in my lap. Maybe this reads like "nothing" but honestly it was such a delight to be within inches of a hummer. Someone else wrote they heard a buzzing sound, my experience is a high pitched peeping sound as they are feeding.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/10/2011, 9:43 am

Thank you! I've been looking for that exact migration map for a year. I googled and googled and hit all my other birding sites, and nothing would pull up that looked right. This is the one I liked watching a couple years back. Thanks again.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 8/10/2011, 10:01 am

BBG - do you ever check Journey North? Their maps are based on observation data. I love being a citizen scientist for them! flower

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 8/10/2011, 1:16 pm

nancy wrote:BBG - do you ever check Journey North? Their maps are based on observation data. I love being a citizen scientist for them! flower

[url=http://www.learner.org/jnorth/
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/[/quote[/url]]

Cool site! Thanks for the link!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/10/2011, 1:43 pm

No, but I will. I usually am reporting for eBird. Thanks for sharing.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 8/10/2011, 1:47 pm

We've had a lot of hummingbirds this past week, they like the rose of sharon trees. I also have hummingbird feeders out for them.
Hummingbirds! Hummingbird2

I missed getting to go to the hummingbird festival this year, but several years I have gone and watched the hummingbirds being banded. I have adopted one each year that I go.
Here is a couple of photos of one hummingbird that I adopted getting it's band put on, there was no way I could read the number on a tiny band like that.
Hummingbirds! Hummingbird2

Hummingbirds! Hummingbird3
hummingbird festival
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/10/2011, 3:47 pm

BBG

You are very welcome, I am very glad to provide the hummimgbird.net website. I stumbled across it by accident and have passed it on to as many people as possible. It's wonderful to help each other, enjoy!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/10/2011, 6:28 pm

Josh, if that first pic is yours, you have come a looooooooong way in a short time. It's great!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 8/10/2011, 7:35 pm

BBG yes it is my photo I took today! bounce It just stopped and looked right at the camera Smile

That's a great website!
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Hummingbirds! Empty Re: Hummingbirds

Post  tabletopper 8/10/2011, 11:05 pm

Lucky SFGardeners in my area.....we have them all year round.....but the black ravens or crows....likes to catch a baby one in the nests.....grr grr......

We put out the feeders near the kitchen window so we can enjoy watching them...

Josh....Great picture.....tnx.....Ruth
tabletopper

Female Posts : 235

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum