Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Early Aug 1 garden Report for So Cal Toplef10Early Aug 1 garden Report for So Cal 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Early Aug 1 garden Report for So Cal I22gcj10Early Aug 1 garden Report for So Cal 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Early Aug 1 garden Report for So Cal Toplef10Early Aug 1 garden Report for So Cal 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Early Aug 1 garden Report for So Cal I22gcj10Early Aug 1 garden Report for So Cal 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Early Aug 1 garden Report for So Cal

3 posters

Go down

Early Aug 1 garden Report for So Cal Empty Early Aug 1 garden Report for So Cal

Post  Chopper 7/30/2011, 5:02 pm

I thought I would get an early start since it is the weekend and people might have more time to read and plant. Oddly enough, here in Southern California August is the month with the lightest planting schedule. It is more about harvesting, canning and freezing if you do that and perhaps going to the beach, park, mountains or relatives in other parts of the country.

For those of us who must plant - here are the best bets:

Beans,
Bush

Beans,
Pole

Beets

Carrots

Celery

Lima
Beans

Squash,
summer

Here are
examples of what can be planted in each square foot:

16 carrots or radishes, onion (or 9)

9 onions, beets,
peas, garlic, spinach. bush beans, pole beans
4 lettuce, chard, marigolds, or kohlrabi, strawberries,
1 tomato, pepper(try 2 next time), eggplant, broccoli, cabbage, or corn,
cabbage, celery, potato
1 squash, or melon per 2 sq.ft. (or 3ft space – zucchini)

2 cucumbers

or---

1 per square
foot: plants that are thinned or planted 12 inches apart.

4 per square
foot: plants that are thinned or planted 6 inches apart.

9 per square
foot: plants that are thinned or planted 4 inches apart.

16 per
square foot: plants that are thinned or planted 3 inches apart.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Early Aug 1 garden Report for So Cal Empty Re: Early Aug 1 garden Report for So Cal

Post  SoCalET 8/1/2011, 7:50 pm

Thanks Chopper!

I just put in some beet, radish and lettuce seeds. I also planted a few shishito pepper transplants that a friend gave me. Hope it's not too late for them. Also, plan to put in kale and bok Choi next weekend.

Seeds went right into MM in my SFG. Wish me luck!
SoCalET

Back to top Go down

Early Aug 1 garden Report for So Cal Empty Re: Early Aug 1 garden Report for So Cal

Post  Chopper 8/2/2011, 6:06 pm

Let me know how the lettuce does. That is the one thing I would be wary of because of the heat. September always seems hotter than August to me so this is like the beginning of the real heat. So I would be interested to know how they manage. And things that bolt in the heat. like lettuce, bolt fast. But you never know - it could be at the low end of normal too.

So needless to say, I will be very interested to see how it goes. I hope well.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 8/3/2011, 10:24 am

I generally plant my lettuce and bok choi in mid-September. Please let me know how yours grow!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 8/3/2011, 10:37 pm

In my 'when to plant' list I show lettuce as being good to plant from Sept thru March. Last year I planted quite a bit and it did very well. Unfortunately I planted way more than I could eat so I learned a valuable lesson - although what I had did well. We had a wonderful cool. wet season this year, too, that we cannot always count on.

As far as fall/winter/spring garden space I would rather have more cabbage, brocolli and peas anyway, but was pretty dang proud of my first decent lettuce crop. Very Happy
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  SoCalET 8/4/2011, 1:26 pm

Thanks for the advice, Chopper and Donna. Maybe I'll wait a few weeks on the Bok Choi. Not sure I have the patience bounce. Maybe I'll plant one square this weekend as planned and wait a couple of weeks to plant the second square that I had planned.

Regarding the lettuce, I think I made not one, but two newbie mistakes! So, obviously, I may have planted too early. But we'll see, I'm still hopeful. Also, I bought a "Mesclun" seed pack. I don't think that sort of seed pack makes sense for SFG. It says to thin to 6", so I planted 4 spots in each of two squares. In each spot, I gave it a pinch of 2-3 seeds. The issue is that this type of seed pack isn't just one variety. It's a blend. So, each spot got a couple of different type of seeds. I dunno, maybe that's okay, it just seemed odd.

Anyway, three of those eight lettuce spots have sprouted already! It has only been five days!

Also (and I'm rambling a little here) I haven't given up my "rows" yet. I have a SFG next to my rows garden. I had plenty of shishito pepper transplants and didn't want them to dominate my SFG, so I planted two in my MM in the SFG, and two in the dirt in my rows garden. Five days later, the ones planted in MM looks healthier, stronger, and even taller! Amazing!
SoCalET

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 8/4/2011, 8:42 pm

SoCalET wrote: Also, I bought a "Mesclun" seed pack. I don't think that sort of seed pack makes sense for SFG. It says to thin to 6", so I planted 4 spots in each of two squares. In each spot, I gave it a pinch of 2-3 seeds. The issue is that this type of seed pack isn't just one variety. It's a blend. So, each spot got a couple of different type of seeds. I dunno, maybe that's okay, it just seemed odd.

I bought a mixed seed packet too and it made planting and thinning a little weird, but it worked out OK. It is funny b/c I was used to putting just one or two seeds per hole and with a mix how do you choose? So I over-seeded a bit also.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  SoCalET 8/10/2011, 5:14 pm

8/10/11 update: I'll have to remember to take photos. In the meantime, my update on the stuff I planted at the start of the month:

Radish: sprouting all over the place. I dropped 2-3 seeds in each spot, and pretty much every single on sprouted, so I'll have to thin.

Beets: sprouting well, similar story to radish, but slightly lower sprout rate.

Mesclun lettuce mix: sprouting in six of eight spots. One is a mystery, and the other looks like a neighborhood critter was hungry for some seeds. So, I consider this a 6/7 success ratio since the other was taken well before its time.

Still haven't put in my bok choi. The shishito peppers are hanging in okay, not great.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased so far!
SoCalET

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down