Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Wx Update....in case you don't know what's coming... - Page 2 Toplef10Wx Update....in case you don't know what's coming... - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Wx Update....in case you don't know what's coming... - Page 2 I22gcj10Wx Update....in case you don't know what's coming... - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Wx Update....in case you don't know what's coming... - Page 2 Toplef10Wx Update....in case you don't know what's coming... - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Wx Update....in case you don't know what's coming... - Page 2 I22gcj10Wx Update....in case you don't know what's coming... - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Wx Update....in case you don't know what's coming...

+13
unmadecastle
Lindacol
Smartchick
stripesmom
FarmerValerie
CindiLou
herblover
Aub
camprn
HouseofWool
Goosegirl
Mamachibi
BackyardBirdGardner
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wx Update....in case you don't know what's coming... - Page 2 Empty Re: Wx Update....in case you don't know what's coming...

Post  Goosegirl 7/19/2011, 9:39 pm

unmadecastle wrote:Wx Update....in case you don't know what's coming... - Page 2 Hot_ou10

102 degrees today!

Ann: Don't forget to add the heat index! You are not far from me, and it is currently 93 here with a heat index of 110 - and it is 8:30 pm!!!!!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Wx Update....in case you don't know what's coming... - Page 2 Empty Re: Wx Update....in case you don't know what's coming...

Post  NHGardener 7/19/2011, 11:37 pm

Wow. I didn't even know the nation was suffering until I peaked at the news tonight and saw a weather advisory for heat for Thurs/Friday. Ugh. Heat index over 100.

Heading out to Walmart first thing in the a.m. for an a/c. Never really needed one before, but this sounds miserable. Maybe I can keep one room cool.

A little worried about the chickens - they don't tolerate heat well - and the garden. Don't peppers and maybe some others lose their blossoms in high heat like this?

Looks like the pool will be our new home for a while.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 7/20/2011, 8:36 am

I could hardly believe it, but this morning on the news, they said where I live, the heat index could get up to 130 degrees because of the amount of corn we have here. Shoot, that's hot stuff.

I've heard and read that about the peppers and tomatoes, NHGardner. I have not lost my blooms and it's been 100 or close to 100 for almost a week here. Maybe it depends on how long it lasts or how much you water? I've been watering twice a day. I'm sure getting tired of watering things, since I'm doing it by hand. The peppers do suffer in this strong sun, but after it gets shady in the garden, they look fine again.
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 7/20/2011, 8:47 am

This year is the 75th anniversary of The Great Heatwave of '36, which came during the Great Depression and at the end of the Dust Bowl era. Some of the record temps recorded have yet to be broken, and 5,000 people died.
Read more.
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/2011/07/18/a-hot-mess-the-heat-wave-of-36/
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  HouseofWool 7/20/2011, 9:08 am

Today is supposed to be the peak day here in SE Wisconsin. Although, I though that Sunday was horrible at 96 degrees and close to 80% humidity.
HouseofWool

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 7/20/2011, 9:16 am

We must have had a cold front blow through, it was breezy and mid 90's.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 7/20/2011, 12:08 pm

Valerie, thank you for posting that link - I'm glad there have been similar heat waves before, it was kind of freaking me out that maybe the environment is collapsing, esp. after all that radiation that still (I guess) is spewing.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 7/20/2011, 2:20 pm

I love history, and part of history (as BBG will tell you) is weather. The weather repeats itself, like patterns, which is how the Farmer's Almanac is able to "predict" the weather. Kinda like Hurricane seasons, we have about 10-15 years of frequent storms and several really bad hurricanes, then it calms down for about 20-30 years then starts up again. I mean think about it, the reason for the "dust bowl era" was drought and farming the prarie lands, which actually are better left alone, as that caused dust storms to reach the East Coast, the dirt was from Kansas and Oklahoma. What made that time as bad as it was is because it fell smack dab in the middle of the Great Depression. They have even found farming tools WAY up north, so at one time the ice thawed, people lived there, then the ice came back.

As for radiation, naw its the gases from all those air conditioners leaking, you know fre-on, it blows a hole in the ozone.

(NOTE:To whom it may concern; I am just kidding, I am not in any way, shape, or form even coming close to debating warming trends and their cause-I save that for FB and my blog-so don't bait me-I won't answer).
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/20/2011, 2:32 pm

FarmerValerie wrote:...naw its the gases from all those air conditioners leaking, you know fre-on, it blows a hole in the ozone....

Naw, it's cow emissions doing it.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 7/20/2011, 2:44 pm

Oh boffer, that's funny. The neigbors have cows in their pasture that joins our back and south side property, they lease the pasture out. This time it's Longhorns in the field. They bushhogged the section next to our south fence yesterday, and you could smell the cow manure this morning! My daughter wanted to know what stunk and looked at me like I was nuts when I told her it was cow manure, and that I could tell the difference between fertilizers by their smell, cow, pig, fish and so on. It's just a gift I have, must be all that bull from my dad and brother, and then my husband!

OH, the Longhorns are named Miranda, Taylor Swift, Boot Scoot Booogie, Reba, Fancy, Lady Antebelum, Loretta Lynn, and we cant' get close enough to read the rest of the ear tags so we don't know who else is out there. I don't have to go to Nashville to see the stars they stay in my back yard.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 7/20/2011, 2:48 pm

See, I thought it was the impending lockup on the 405 that was going to cause global warming to increase.

Many, MANY factors go into global warming. We can accelerate it, but we can't CAUSE it. The planet is in a warming cycle. If we live long enough, we'll see another ice age. It is a cycle that has been repeated for millions of years. We are just a blip. Humankind is far too arrogant to think we will do much more than provide fossil records for the next dominant species. Mother Earth will wipe us out when she's ready. We won't cause it and we won't prevent it.

A hot button of mine is the politicians and media trying to scare the public that can't think for themselves into buying certain products to make a buck or get re-elected. Lifestyle changes are just responsible, so it's hard for me to think this "green movement" is completely ludicrous. But, I can fall on either side of the fence, personally.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/20/2011, 2:51 pm

That methane is pretty potent stuff. You sit down right quick if you start feelin' light-headed out there breathin' them fumes!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 7/20/2011, 2:58 pm

boffer wrote:

That methane is pretty potent stuff. You sit down right quick if you start feelin' light-headed out there breathin' them fumes!

Now, in off-color news.....

Boffer, you get us out into the methane field and I'll bring the lighter. I'll even bring a six pack.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 7/20/2011, 3:04 pm

I'll bring the Potato Gun, ssshhhhh you are not supposed to have those anymore, they are dangerous some one might get hurt. We can even give demonstrations of "Famous Last Words of a Redneck, Hey Ya'll Watch This"......
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/20/2011, 4:40 pm

Not to rub it in, and I don't have a garden to worry about, but I had to wear a sweatshirt to work today here in Vienna. And yet just 2 weeks ago it was record breaking heat - hotter than Africa at 98*. I knew this would be a summer break for me.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/20/2011, 4:56 pm

Today our maximum temperature is forecast to be 73F and the forecast for the next few days is 68,73,81,84,77 & 79.

The days of 81 & 84 will be sunny, and if it continued sunny then the temperatures would go up to the nineties, but rain is on the way again and cool things off.

No wonder we have a problem with tomatoes and peppers.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 7/20/2011, 7:06 pm

Valerie, I certainly am familiar with the Dust Bowl - my grandfather was a homesteader, when the govt. held a lottery(ies) for 160 acre plots and if you improved it, you could keep it, in South Dakota. After he got it going and all, they had a really prosperous year, thought things were going great, bought the farm next door I guess, and then the drought set in. Eventually they gave it up (like so many) but they headed east, to NJ, instead of west, family members in NYC found a dairy farm for them to start out with. My g'father was in his late 40s, maybe even early 50s, when he had to start completely over, this time with a dairy farm, and a lot of rocks in the soil.... We have a family history book about it, but anyway, I remember reading that the Indians in South Dakota would tell my g'father something about every 7 years there's a drought, and the 7th seven year period it would be a great one, something like that, I'd have to go look it up to see if I got that exactly right, but I'm pretty sure. Cycles, as you say. Interesting stuff!
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/20/2011, 8:00 pm

NHGardener wrote:Valerie, I certainly am familiar with the Dust Bowl - my grandfather was a homesteader, when the govt. held a lottery(ies) for 160 acre plots and if you improved it, you could keep it, in South Dakota. After he got it going and all, they had a really prosperous year, thought things were going great, bought the farm next door I guess, and then the drought set in. Eventually they gave it up (like so many) but they headed east, to NJ, instead of west, family members in NYC found a dairy farm for them to start out with. My g'father was in his late 40s, maybe even early 50s, when he had to start completely over, this time with a dairy farm, and a lot of rocks in the soil.... We have a family history book about it, but anyway, I remember reading that the Indians in South Dakota would tell my g'father something about every 7 years there's a drought, and the 7th seven year period it would be a great one, something like that, I'd have to go look it up to see if I got that exactly right, but I'm pretty sure. Cycles, as you say. Interesting stuff!

NHGardener - Do you know where that was in South Dakota? I am a CA transplant to SD and I love learning more about this whole area. We have been here 13 years and this is by FAR the worst heat wave we have had. Thankfully for us the worst is now over - 20-30 mph winds started last night and cleared out the oppressive humidity and today it was 103 and felt like........only 103!!!!! For all of you still locked in it - there is hope! It's still hot, but breathable here now.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/20/2011, 8:05 pm

boffer wrote:
Naw, it's cow emissions doing it.

I thought I heard somewhere that cockroaches tooted more!Wx Update....in case you don't know what's coming... - Page 2 889526
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 7/20/2011, 9:24 pm

Goosegirl - That would have been near White River in Mellette County, which is in the southwest part of SD. The whole history is so interesting. Did you ever read The Grapes of Wrath? Not exactly about SD but near enough.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/20/2011, 10:08 pm

NHGardener wrote:Goosegirl - That would have been near White River in Mellette County, which is in the southwest part of SD. The whole history is so interesting. Did you ever read The Grapes of Wrath? Not exactly about SD but near enough.

I remember it vaguely from high school. Only after moving out here and experiencing even minor dust storms did I really come to understand that whole era better.

I am in the far NE corner of SD but I have visited friends in SW SD several times. The history of the whole state is so interesting!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2