Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Feedback on those that did a living grid..... Toplef10Feedback on those that did a living grid..... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Feedback on those that did a living grid..... I22gcj10Feedback on those that did a living grid..... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Feedback on those that did a living grid..... Toplef10Feedback on those that did a living grid..... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Feedback on those that did a living grid..... I22gcj10Feedback on those that did a living grid..... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Feedback on those that did a living grid.....

+4
Goosegirl
Aub
boffer
milaneyjane
8 posters

Go down

Feedback on those that did a living grid..... Empty Feedback on those that did a living grid.....

Post  milaneyjane 7/9/2011, 6:42 pm

I was wondering how everyone else is doing that tried it? I have to say I am not so sure about it. It is really crowding an already tight space in some of my beds and is causing some shading/light issues----especially with the carrots as a grid since they get so tall.
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Feedback on those that did a living grid..... Empty Re: Feedback on those that did a living grid.....

Post  boffer 7/9/2011, 6:46 pm

I used carrots for a grid amongst my cabbage and brussel sprouts. Dumb! The carrots grew too slow this year and are way overshadowed. I doubt I'll get much.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Feedback on those that did a living grid..... Empty Re: Feedback on those that did a living grid.....

Post  Aub 7/9/2011, 7:06 pm

I used radishes for my living grid. It didn't go so well Sad Only a hand full of radishes got big enough to eat because I planted them too close together.
Aub
Aub

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/10/2011, 7:06 am

I only used radishes as a grid in one small area. They did not do well - got 5 radishes to eat. But, thanks to this new thread, I now think I know what is wrong with my carrots :scratch: . Thanks Boffer sunny ! Many of my carrots are heavily shaded by the volunteer cilantro, so since much of it has already bloomed (need the next round of volunteers to help the tomato polination) it is time to RIP IT OUT! The squares that did not germinate well will be replanted for my fall crop.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 7/10/2011, 1:45 pm

I grew radishes in the corn 4x4 bed and they did excellent and they were huge. I actually had too many radishes. I was looking for recipes for radishes and didn't find many. Came up with my own. Made a cucumber and radish veggie dip. Still had too many radishes. Still experimenting to find that perfect live grid with a perfect balance of different varieties. The carrots might do great with corn.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 7/10/2011, 2:56 pm

The "tweak" I would suggest, and may try, is to put radishes/carrots at the intersection points only. Surely, you will be able to see the squares. If trying a living grid, I think the only necessary part would be to plant the grid a week or two earlier so you can see your grid when you plant your squares.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/10/2011, 3:27 pm

My carrot grid got overwhelmed by the chard, spinach and other greens, but the onions on the intersections worked great. Don't know if it kept the bugs down as I had to leave before the really "buggy" season.

Kay, broadcasting from Vienna

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/10/2011, 3:30 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:The "tweak" I would suggest, and may try, is to put radishes/carrots at the intersection points only.

One reason for a living grid is to gain more growing space that otherwise would have been wasted. It frees up squares for other stuff.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 7/10/2011, 6:44 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:The "tweak" I would suggest, and may try, is to put radishes/carrots at the intersection points only. Surely, you will be able to see the squares. If trying a living grid, I think the only necessary part would be to plant the grid a week or two earlier so you can see your grid when you plant your squares.

I bought onion sets and I did this with my onions. I read they keep some pests down that don't like the onion. I'm not really sure how long it's suppose to take onions to grow. So far it's a slow going process. The tops of most are getting tall but the bulbs seem pretty small. I read somewhere on here that they like a little sun on the bulb themselves so I've tried clearing a little dirt around. We'll see how that works but the ones that are super shaded by other plants seem to be doing the best.
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum