Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
July 2011 in Upper South Toplef10July 2011 in Upper South 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

July 2011 in Upper South I22gcj10July 2011 in Upper South 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
July 2011 in Upper South Toplef10July 2011 in Upper South 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

July 2011 in Upper South I22gcj10July 2011 in Upper South 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

July 2011 in Upper South

2 posters

Go down

July 2011 in Upper South Empty July 2011 in Upper South

Post  pattipan 7/3/2011, 3:39 am

I am amazed at how much change comes over the garden in the month of June. At the beginning of June plants are just beginning their growth and then once the warm weather stays around everything takes off. Now that we've past the first of July I anticipate that first ripe tomato more than ever!

Everything in my SFG garden is doing very well except my peppers. They have lots of bloom, but the plants look sickly. Although I did this before planting, I've worked in some fresh compost to see if it will give them a boost. I have six different kinds of peppers in three different locations, so I am not sure if it's just a bad year or a disease. I hope they perk up, especially my California Wonders.

Here's an East and West view of the garden as of July 2.
July 2011 in Upper South Sfg07-10

July 2011 in Upper South Sfg07-12

Most of the lettuce is done and cleared, but I still have three kinds growing. Some in a semi-shaded box near to the house and some in the shade of my broccoli plants. I've planted basil in the emptied lettuce squares. The broccoli is not as plentiful as it was last year, but we've been eating it as it comes!

Sugar snap peas have been pulled and replaced with Lemon Squash. It's the first time trying this squash. It's supposed to be squash vine borer resistant, so I hope that's true! It's also a vining squash. They are just getting their second set of leaves now.

Spaghetti and butternut squash vines growing a foot a day. Lots of buds now. Zucchini and yellow straight-neck squash blooming heavily, but only two female blossoms so far. I found squash vine borer eggs on both plants, so we've begun injecting the stems with Bt as a preventative measure. I've also sprayed Bt around the main stems too. Those SVB eggs are so tiny and easy to miss!

Harvested all my garlic and shallots. Planted Dragon Tongue beans in some of those squares. Will plant more next week to spread out the harvest. All the garlic did very well! It needs a few more days of drying, but I have one slightly damaged bulb I will be trying first. I pulled the shallots today, so they are just beginning their curing period.

Maxibel filet beans are huge! It's the first time trying them and I cannot believe how tall they are! They are covered with bloom now, but haven't got a bean yet.

Swiss chard is perforated by earwigs, but I need to get out their and cut it back more and eat some. I hate sharing it with bugs!

Carrots are doing well. I pulled a couple that were sticking above the soil. One was 6" and one was 4". We ate them in salad that night. I think by late summer I'm going to have some bent carrots!

Sweet potato vines are taking off now. These Vardeman are supposed to be a bush type, but they are still going to spill over the box soon. Very pretty vines though!
July 2011 in Upper South Sweetp10

Let's see...what else. Oh yes, the cucumbers! I planted a French cornichon type and I will be picking many of those soon. Looking forward to the pickles! The Dragon Egg cukes have just started blooming the last day or so, but I am anxious to know what they taste like.

Tomatoes are growing fast now, you can read more about those on Tomato Tuesdays.

And last but not least, I have eggplant! Two of my Ichiban are about 4" long now and two bloom just finished. My first ones ever! You can see the damage that the flea beetles, earwigs and something else? have done to the leaves, but the fruit looks beautiful.
July 2011 in Upper South Ichiba10

I am looking forward to a very fruitful July! How's your July garden doing...and what are you eating from yours now?

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

July 2011 in Upper South Empty Re: July 2011 in Upper South

Post  FarmerValerie 7/17/2011, 8:32 am

Pattipan, please keep me posted on that lemon squash, I wanted to order some but just could not this year. Let me know mainly if it tastes like crook neck, and if it does how well did it do. If it does not taste like crook neck, I can forget it, hubby won't touch it.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down