Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
VENTING goes here!  (What went wrong thread) Toplef10VENTING goes here!  (What went wrong thread) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

VENTING goes here!  (What went wrong thread) I22gcj10VENTING goes here!  (What went wrong thread) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
VENTING goes here!  (What went wrong thread) Toplef10VENTING goes here!  (What went wrong thread) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

VENTING goes here!  (What went wrong thread) I22gcj10VENTING goes here!  (What went wrong thread) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

VENTING goes here! (What went wrong thread)

+25
unmadecastle
Pam Nix
Lindacol
MeyerLemon
etherati
herblover
busygirl
Kelejan
FarmerValerie
happycamper
petals1973
Goosegirl
Paintedlady
fiddleman
jhayford
boffer
Glendale-gardener
pattipan
stripesmom
westie42
walshevak
ModernDayBetty
sherryeo
kiwirose
BackyardBirdGardner
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

VENTING goes here!  (What went wrong thread) Empty VENTING goes here! (What went wrong thread)

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/25/2011, 2:19 pm

I feel some frustrations mounting from everyone. A good "venting" tends to get everyone back on track. So, let's get it flushed from the systems.

Instead of celebrating all that is great about SFG, let's gritch and moan about what didn't work as planned. Weather, dud mix, animals and pests, weather again, whatever blew your plans up.......now's your chance to get even!! Fall is coming and we need to renew our mindsets so we can rectify how Mother Nature tossed us a bad salad full of slugs.

If nothing bad has happened, great! Any frustration will do. Let's just not let things spill over into the other threads.

Let'r'rip!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

VENTING goes here!  (What went wrong thread) Empty Re: VENTING goes here! (What went wrong thread)

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/25/2011, 2:22 pm

As for me, things have been really good! Except for the dogs, dogs, dogs......a little chipmunk......more dogs, dogs, dogs.

I have resorted to putting mousetraps in my SFG. I want to see who I get first, the chipmunk....or a paw.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

VENTING goes here!  (What went wrong thread) Empty Re: VENTING goes here! (What went wrong thread)

Post  kiwirose 6/25/2011, 2:59 pm

This years biggest disapointment for me was my eggplants. I had lots of it in my csa box last year so decided to plant it myself this year (my sfg was replacing my csa - my csa box gave me ideas for what grew well here and what we liked in addition to the usual things we ate). I planted 2 plants each of 2 different kinds of eggplants. I planted sage, thyme and marigolds for companion planting insect control, but dispite this my eggplants quickly became my saccrifical crop for flea beetles. Nothing else was hardly touched, but my eggplant just looks like lace.

On the flip side, the only reason I planted the sage was for the insect control (that didn't work) - but I have used it in my cooking - and wow - the flavor - I had no idea sage (fresh) was so spectacular - because my dried does nothing for me!

My sfg experience is a game of swings and roundabouts. For every down there seems to be at least one surprise that more than makes up for my dissapointment. Last year summer trashed my garden because I didn't water near enough (all my fault) - but my okra love me, and I in turn loved my okra - I had never grown it before - and hubby and I love it!

my only two other gripes for this year are
- not enough rain
- deer (again - my fault for not taking suitable precautions - but I still vented in another thread)

Happy gardening
kiwirose

Female Posts : 142

Back to top Go down

VENTING goes here!  (What went wrong thread) Empty VENTING goes here! (What went wrong thread)

Post  sherryeo 6/25/2011, 3:16 pm

My bush snap bean plants turned yellowish and never recovered even though I tried all the hints I could find to save them. They did put on beans, but the pods were short and the peas inside filled out without the pods ever getting to "snappable" size.

My carrots, planted during carrot week, have just kind of laid there. They haven't grown much at all and show no signs of making carrots. I think it's the heat here.

Did I mention the heat here? ARRRRRGGGGGHHHH! My tomatoes were doing so nicely. But then the heat set in! Into the 90s every day. They have just stopped growing, stopped blooming and of course, no new fruit is forming.

My radishes never made anything but pitiful little greens. I planted within the time specified for my zone on the seed packet, but I just think it was too hot for them. I finally pulled them up.

I've had lots of trouble with the demon leaffooted bugs and their nymphs. Evil or Very Mad I had trouble last summer in the row garden with them on my tomatoes and squash, but they just seem to love my southern peas this year. It seems every time I go out to the garden, there are probably a dozen of the orange-reddish nymphs on my pinkeye purple hull peas! I squash every one I can get my hands on, but they just keep coming. VENTING goes here!  (What went wrong thread) 671790

But, the truth is, I've been having so much fun with my sfgs and I know that I will learn as I go. Hopefully, things will get better and better. I do realize that gardening is never foolproof, though, and there will be times when an extra tough weather season or over-abundance of some particular insect will cause crop disappointments. We, as gardeners, just can't "win 'em all."

I actually was able to harvest more vine-ripened tomatoes during a few short weeks in my sfgs than I had all summer long last year from several long rows of tomatoes in a row garden.

I've had zucchini a-plenty and am in the middle of a nice southern pea harvest (amazingly, the leaffooted bugs and nymphs don't really seem to have harmed them much).

I've had cucumbers and have honey dew melons that seem to be doing pretty well. I have had to use Neem to keep the powdery mildew down on the cukes, zucchini and melons. As long as I spray them every few days, though, they seem greener and healthier.

VENTING goes here!  (What went wrong thread) 43549 , that does feel better! Sorry for the lengthy post, but once I got started, I couldn't stop!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 6/25/2011, 3:20 pm

I don't count plant loss until the first frost. Things haven't been growing as quickly as I had hoped but with this strange weather what can you do? My biggest irritation has been earwigs! They are everywhere. They got really bad last year when we had a long cold spring and a repeat of that this year has not helped. I have been sticking rolled up newspaper out to catch them. But every morning with sleep still in my eyes I forget all about it, let the dogs out, and Penny my 1 1/2 year old golden pulls the papers out of the garden.... by time I find them they are empty. I planted a butternut squash a few weeks ago and it was gone over night! they started on my zucchini. I really don't want to spray but I bought some organic stuff to spray the yard. I'm hoping that will help keep the numbers down if I spray around the boxes and make me feel better about not spraying in the boxes.
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/25/2011, 4:15 pm

I know I shouldn't complain. The job was needed and is going good and Vienna is a lovely place to spend the summer, BUT, I MISS MY GARDENS!!! AND I KNOW I COULD HAVE TAKEN CARE OF SOME OF THE PROBLEMS THAT AROSE WITH THE POND BEDS!!!!! My son just doesn't know enough yet and he works long crazy hours that don't allow him to put as much care on the gardens. I called him today. Cukes died, upo not producing but keeping that pond bed sucked dry, some of the tomatos gone and others sunburned, squash gone, herbs dried up, asparagus beans not blooming so no beans.

But the spring garden was fantastic and collards, eggplant and most of the peppers are doing well. Some of the tomatos are hanging on and waiting for cooler temps to set fruit again. Summer is just soooo hot in the coastal regions of NC. And I'll be back in time to plant a few things for a late fall/early winter garden.

I have no idea what is happening with the folks that offered to help in the gardens at my house. Just keep hoping I'll have something when I get back in Sep.

Rant over, thanks.

Kay, currently broadcasting from Vienna

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

VENTING goes here!  (What went wrong thread) Empty Earwigs

Post  westie42 6/25/2011, 4:17 pm

Earwigs rule this town. Last year they were absolutely terrifying. I got beyond fed up almost scared of the prospect of being taken over inside and outside both. The whole town was that way. I found a slug trap on youtube that seemed promising, it sure was. Here is a current youtube that is on the right path to killing your earwigs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gJNZd4mp4Y&feature=related . I do my traps slightly different. My traps are round food containers from a dollar store or margarine tubs about 4 inches across is a nice size and retaining the lids is best for the covers. Cut the slots as close to the top as this guy has his to the bottom. Using the round tubs I cut 3 slots about 1/4 to 3/8 inch tall and a bit over 2 inches wide. That takes up a bit over 3/4 of the circumference of the tub. The slots are about 1/2 inch from the top. Fill the tubs about half full of the cheapest veg oil the dollar store sells or use old cooking oil. Don't know for sure how this kills them but it sure does. Set a rock or something on top to just keep everything steady and in place. At night they will come in and never leave alive. I had about 8 traps around the foundation of my house last summer some caught more than others. Those near other cover such as the central air unit were loaded with dead bugs. I bet most traps caught at least 2000 to 3000 of the rascals. The trap can get a bit smelly so empty it and refill with same or different oil on whatever schedule suits you. Put some in the garden too and around wood piles sheds or wherever they could find daytime shelter. They are very nocturnal. A little work but I probably ridded well over 10,000 of them last summer. It became quite tolerable in a short time once the traps were set out. I also spread seven insectiside across my doorway thresholds and same at my tool sheds. They don't like that stuff at all. But I lost my little dog last winter and still am haunted into nightmares by the possibility that the seven may have done him in. These traps have made my place one of the most earwig free places in a town haunted by them.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 6/25/2011, 5:48 pm

Westie, I'm real sorry to hear about your dog. I lost a great cat a few years ago and thought it may have been my fault. I also think, there is a reason for every thing, so you can't blame yourself. Fate (higher power/God) imho. You can always second guess things, but I believe things work out like they should. Plus, I've used sevin for years and never had problems with it killing animals, although it can I suppose. Even when it was on soil that cats walked on. Also, had a cat eat a plant immediately after spraying it with Round up and no ill effects. Apparently, a small dose.

I didn't know earwigs did any thing to plants. I have no history with them. Is it just the shear number? Last year, they seemed to be every where, as were the centipedes. This year, centipedes galore and now earwigs are starting to appear like magic. I'm not impressed. Too much rain. They are all over the outside of the house and now coming in, with OMG! water bugs, flying cockroaches and other nasty things. Seems like the icky bugs are taking over and the pretty ones are not as plentiful. What do earwigs do to plants BTW?

Last edited by stripesmom on 6/25/2011, 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 6/25/2011, 5:54 pm

Good lord, just watched the video link. I better get some traps set up pronto. Didn't have a garden last year. Thanks for posting!
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 6/25/2011, 6:24 pm

DEATH TO EARWIGS!

They are my biggest pest in the SFG this year. They particularly like the new mild Swiss Shard I planted. There is not one leaf that in undamaged and then they also make small channels in the lower stems. Arrrggghhh. I bought some cheap veggie oil today and I have plenty of half pound margarine containers to set around my garden. I'm starting the battle tonight.

Earwigs thrive in dark places, rotting wood and compost...unfortunately that is the definition of Mel's Mix!

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

VENTING goes here!  (What went wrong thread) Empty Earwigs

Post  westie42 6/25/2011, 7:10 pm

I only live part time where my garden is at and that house is old as is most of the neighborhood so there are plenty ideal places for earwigs to live and hide out during daylight hours. I even leaned to tape plastic baggies over all my faucets in the house and keep the drains all plug covered and filled with bleach while away as they will come up and out of your sewer lines and hide in faucets near water. Try getting 5 of them on you when you turn on the shower. At least they will not reproduce inside the house the kitchen and bath are their favorite rooms but around the doors or any pipe or wire entrance is an opportunity to get inside. When one wakes you up in the middle of the night traveling along you after fighting them outside all day long you want to go crazy. Caulking and foam insulation in any crack or opening around the foundation and windows helps a lot. They will get behind vinyl siding and have a real nice protected place. I find them sometimes 8 feet high on the siding at night. Of course everything a gardener does to be natural just invites the buggers to hang around. The vegetable oil traps won"t wipe them all out but will go an awful long ways to manage them at an acceptable level but you must be vigilant at placing and tending the traps or they will have their way with you, your garden and buildings including the house too. You mite not have them like I do but this town has had a real menacing problem with them for the last several years. What do they eat well organic matter is their sustenance water is their other need. You can lay down a flat board like a 2' by2' plywood and they will congregate under it in good numbers so when you flip it over you can smack or spray lots of them in one whack I can sometimes get a couple hundred of them that way in one try. They may be the easiest bug there is to attract and that is my best weapon against this bug from Hell. Each year I hope there won't be as many of them but that does not seem to change until your management scheme does.
westie42

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener 6/25/2011, 7:46 pm

I've seen some earwigs here recently but nothing out of control. Last year I kept finding them in the house, I had never even seen one before and had to show a pic to my biologist BIL to find out what this tiny demon was!

My biggest gripe so far this year is I guess my own ignorance. I planned and planned for months but then I still ended up making impulse buys when I saw crops I hadn't thought of, like Brussels sprouts. I bought a 6 pack at lowe's and planted right away, one per square. First of all, good god, they're huge! I had to move 2 pepper plants already because the sprout plants were totally trying to claim their squares! And secondly, from some reading, I think I planted them at the wrong time of year- it seems most people plant them as a fall crop- oh well- it's my learning season, right?

I've been really impressed so far with my zucchini and pumpkins- a few fruits on the zuke, none on the pumps yet, but the vines are crawling up the trellis nicely. And my ground cherries are awesome! The kids go out every day and wiggle the plants and eat everything that falls to the mulch!

Otherwise, everything is just waiting on the weather to dry up and start getting hot again I guess. I'm wondering if my pepper plants are ever going to get big enough to produce fruit. They are still annoyingly small, as are my eggplants. And one of my eggplants looks like lace- I guess that is flea beetle damage? Anyone know if that is salvageable?

Almost forgot another gripe: we are down to only 2 sunflowers! We planted about 8 close enough together for only 5. I figured if they all germinated, I'd thin them to 5. Well only 4 grew. Then someone stepped on one when it was only about 6-7 inches tall(these are just planted in the regular soil in front of my sons pumpkin trellis, then another bit the dust a few weeks ago when it was 2 feet tall or so because my sons 5 ft tall inflatable ball rolled into it and snapped the stem in two, ugh. I'm now babying his last 2 so he can see them live til they flower!
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/25/2011, 8:19 pm

ONLY ONE COMPLAINT-A BUNCH OF TIMES! :
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  jhayford 6/25/2011, 8:43 pm

LOL boffer. Yes one complaint weather. And dogs and cats. They do bad things to dirt I wont mention. One surprise here my son really likes to learn about gardens. He learned that marigolds keep away bugs and tells everyone when we go anywhere.
jhayford
jhayford

Female Posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/25/2011, 9:30 pm

VENTING goes here!  (What went wrong thread) 43549 , that does feel better! Sorry for the lengthy post, but once I got started, I couldn't stop!

I was hoping this would be therapeutic for a lot of us.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  fiddleman 6/25/2011, 9:57 pm

Weather, cold, extended winter weather... way past what is normal for us... cool spring days, cool beginning of summer... just 3 days above 80 degrees this year so far... Hail... ripped the garden to shreds just before memorial day... Squirrels... usually leave the garden alone... bushy tailed digging machines kept digging in the mels mix and digging up my seed potatoes, didn't eat them, just dug them up - repeatedly -even after replanting the silly things. I planted one squirrel as a example to the others when I caught him dirty handed, and they all have now stopped messing with my garden.

Other than those, the garden has now recovered, and is starting out somewhat. I have tomatoes on, a couple of green pepper, potatoes have gone great guns! Carrots are doing well, onions are slow, peas are coming along, though my son eats them as fast as the plants can produce them. And the Lettuce... holy wah! Dem ting's are growin' good. Yummy and more than I can eat!

I put up all the trellises (trelli?) today, training the tomatoes onto them...

Birds are on guard patrol in the garden... especially the robins...bugs are finally under control! (now I've probably gone and jinxed it)

Warm weather crops have been busy putting in roots (I hope) so when the warm weather finally does arrive, they should take right off.

Mark
fiddleman
fiddleman

Male Posts : 121

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintedlady 6/25/2011, 10:14 pm

The weather here has been so mild (cool & rainy), which has been nice for my lettuce and peas, but I fear it's causing my peppers to falter. Almost all of them look a bit under the weather, except for one chili, which is going crazy with a hundred peppers on it. Go figure.

Flea beetles and aphids have also been giving me a hard time. I have been spraying for them though and it seems to be helping somewhat. Some of my tomatoes, potatoes, and pumpkin were getting attacked and I'm hoping the spray will help keep them away.
Paintedlady
Paintedlady

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 6/25/2011, 10:26 pm

westie42 wrote:Earwigs rule this town. Last year they were absolutely terrifying. I got beyond fed up almost scared of the prospect of being taken over inside and outside both. The whole town was that way. I found a slug trap on youtube that seemed promising, it sure was. Here is a current youtube that is on the right path to killing your earwigs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gJNZd4mp4Y&feature=related . I do my traps slightly different. My traps are round food containers from a dollar store or margarine tubs about 4 inches across is a nice size and retaining the lids is best for the covers. Cut the slots as close to the top as this guy has his to the bottom. Using the round tubs I cut 3 slots about 1/4 to 3/8 inch tall and a bit over 2 inches wide. That takes up a bit over 3/4 of the circumference of the tub. The slots are about 1/2 inch from the top. Fill the tubs about half full of the cheapest veg oil the dollar store sells or use old cooking oil. Don't know for sure how this kills them but it sure does. Set a rock or something on top to just keep everything steady and in place. At night they will come in and never leave alive. I had about 8 traps around the foundation of my house last summer some caught more than others. Those near other cover such as the central air unit were loaded with dead bugs. I bet most traps caught at least 2000 to 3000 of the rascals. The trap can get a bit smelly so empty it and refill with same or different oil on whatever schedule suits you. Put some in the garden too and around wood piles sheds or wherever they could find daytime shelter. They are very nocturnal. A little work but I probably ridded well over 10,000 of them last summer. It became quite tolerable in a short time once the traps were set out. I also spread seven insectiside across my doorway thresholds and same at my tool sheds. They don't like that stuff at all. But I lost my little dog last winter and still am haunted into nightmares by the possibility that the seven may have done him in. These traps have made my place one of the most earwig free places in a town haunted by them.

Thank you! I'll be getting some cheap oil this weekend and trying it out... still need to figure out how to keep the dog away. She has learned to stay out of the garden plants but it's like I have to start over every time I introduce something new outside and tell her for a week that it's mine not hers. lol
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/25/2011, 10:30 pm

Other than the strange weather that seems to be plaguing us all, I have one Wascally Wabbit that has been nipping my corn, broccoli, carrots, peas, and kohlrabi. It has such a good buffet in the back area that it hasn't yet discovered my 3 largest beds up on the side of the house so for the moment my beans, onions, tomatoes, and watermelon are 'safe'

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  petals1973 6/25/2011, 10:45 pm

The netting that I put on my trellises last month is deteriorating. I'm going to have to redo 14 trellises and I have all sorts of vines and tomatoes on them. GRRRR. At least Burpee will be sending me a replacement but how am I going to weave all of that stuff back in?
petals1973
petals1973

Female Posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 6/25/2011, 11:57 pm

Doubt you can weave it back in without a fair amount of plant damage being done now. Could you limp along till off season or just patch together with string/twine till winter or cut new panels and just temp them in behind the existing ones till winter. I would be scared to do it up right at this time. Others may differ.
westie42

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 6/26/2011, 2:42 am

What is the deal with PNW weather and my carrots! As far as the weather, cool nights, dark clouds, clouds and more clouds, and not a drop of rain. I have 5 rain barrels and only about 30 gallons of water in one of them. Alot of good it does having 295 gallons of water storage capacity if there isn't any rain to fill them. I live in the PNW for pete's sake.

The carrots are another issue, I have four squares of carrots and they are still only about 1 inch tall. I mowed the lawn today and found carrots in the lawn about 30 feet away. I know they are carrots because I pulled up several of them and they were actual tiny little carrots. No wonder I didn't get any carrots last year, I think the birds or squirrels or something stole the carrot seeds from the bed and dropped them in the lawn, (if this is possible). I still can't grow carrots, argh!

I feel better now, thank you for the "venting" thread. VENTING goes here!  (What went wrong thread) 109486
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 6/26/2011, 8:30 am

I think several of us bought brussles sprouts on a whim, or cuz they were there, then found out or remembered they are better as a fall crop, but that is more the big box store's fault for having them out that time of year. Anyone ever seen fall crops at a big box store, or garden store for that matter? That's where (and who at) we should be venting about this one. They are supposed to help us, have everything we need, when we need it.

As for my gripe, I gues it's time I had my 14yo son and 12yo daughter re-read and write out the story of "The Little Red Hen", cuz I sure know how she feels.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 6/26/2011, 9:07 am

Maybe, that would be a good thing to sell, fall plants? Things you'd like to grow, but can't because you can't find the plants/seeds. I stocked up on all the seeds I'd need later, because I knew the big box stores and most other places wouldn't have them later in the year when I wanted to plant fall crops. Well, you can still buy seeds some places, but they are usually the more expensive ones.

Valerie, it seemed like a hundred years before my teenagers grew up and turned back into my sweethearts. It's hard to get them to do any thing at that age and I think it's even worse now with games, phones and computers. Hugs!
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 6/26/2011, 9:14 am

Oh, I know, I have 2 grown boys, they stop by just to say hi when they can, and it is nice to FINALLY have an adult conversation with "the fruit of your womb". It just get's frustrating when you say, okay let's go bug the squash (if we all work together it only takes 15 minutes) and them moan and groan, but love to eat fried squash. Add to that I pulled 3 squash plants and 1 zucchini plant yesterday, I was unable to get out in the morning and de-bug for 4 days, that's all, and I feel like I am loosing the battle yet again. I saw squash bug eggs on my corn stalks. I know that I over planted (WAY OVERPLANTED) those 2 plants, and still have plenty, but with the squash bug it's personal, for some neurotic reason.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next