Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato Leaf Curling Toplef10Tomato Leaf Curling 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato Leaf Curling I22gcj10Tomato Leaf Curling 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato Leaf Curling Toplef10Tomato Leaf Curling 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato Leaf Curling I22gcj10Tomato Leaf Curling 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Tomato Leaf Curling

+2
camprn
kimkrupsha
6 posters

Go down

Tomato Leaf Curling Empty Tomato Leaf Curling

Post  kimkrupsha 6/20/2011, 9:27 pm

Hi! I'm new to the forum. I am in need of assistance with my tomato plants. Most of which are thriving, but a few of which (grown from seed) - Black Sea & Chocolate Cherry are having a leaf curling issue. They have no bugs or disease, and otherwise look to be healthy plants. We have been having weird wet & colder than normal temps in Northeast PA. I haven't been watering them because they are getting so much from natural rain. When I checked my plants today, I did like Mel said, be one with your garden, let the soil tell you what it needs. The soil felt neither wet nor dry (we had a storm last night). I alternate weeks using fish emulsion & spraying with epsom salt mix. Any suggestions on what to do - if anything? More rain this week. Should I try to cover them? Again, rest of garden plants look great, including tomato plants that were store bought. And soil doesnt feel overwatered. Thanks in advance. Tomato Leaf Curling 109486
kimkrupsha
kimkrupsha

Female Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Tomato Leaf Curling Empty Re: Tomato Leaf Curling

Post  camprn 6/20/2011, 9:30 pm

kimkrupsha wrote:Hi! I'm new to the forum. I am in need of assistance with my tomato plants. Most of which are thriving, but a few of which (grown from seed) - Black Sea & Chocolate Cherry are having a leaf curling issue. They have no bugs or disease, and otherwise look to be healthy plants. We have been having weird wet & colder than normal temps in Northeast PA. I haven't been watering them because they are getting so much from natural rain. When I checked my plants today, I did like Mel said, be one with your garden, let the soil tell you what it needs. The soil felt neither wet nor dry (we had a storm last night). I alternate weeks using fish emulsion & spraying with epsom salt mix. Any suggestions on what to do - if anything? More rain this week. Should I try to cover them? Again, rest of garden plants look great, including tomato plants that were store bought. And soil doesnt feel overwatered. Thanks in advance. Tomato Leaf Curling 109486
I grow a variety of tomato that has naturally curling leaves. I do not know if yours have the same quality. There are some other reasons for leaf curl and I know that there is at least one other thread that addresses that problem. You may find an answer there. Do you have the ability to post a photo?
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  kimkrupsha 6/21/2011, 10:29 am

Thank you for responding. The tomatoes that are having the most significant curling are my Black Sea tomatoes and Chocolate Cherry Tomatoes. Grown from seed, planted horizontally according to Mel's method and into Mel's mix. Here is an image from the Black Sea. Look closely in the middle of the image. Tomato Leaf Curling Tomato12
kimkrupsha
kimkrupsha

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/21/2011, 10:42 am

Hmmm... could be the weather...well since it does not seem to be problem with the whole plant, maybe it is a small infestation of thrips... Shocked this is my guess, but I don't know for sure... I suggest that you contact your County Coop Extension Service Ag Agent for a diagnosis / look around on the internet for treatment options.

Last edited by camprn on 6/21/2011, 10:45 am; edited 2 times in total
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  unmadecastle 6/21/2011, 10:43 am

I have 2 tomato plants that are doing the same thing as yours. Last week we had almost 2 1/2 inches of rain in about 1/2 an hour. The next day I noticed that my tomatoes were not happy. My mother- in- law said that they were curled because of all the rain. Yesterday I noticed that they were finally uncurling.

Guess what!! Today we are in a flash flood watch! My poor gardens. Sad
unmadecastle
unmadecastle

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 6/21/2011, 1:53 pm

When I was putting together my gardening journal, I researched lots of things about plants and growing, including tomatoes, and have found that this is natural on some plants and not to worry. I even wrote it in my new gardening journal but can't give you the quote or gardening book from which it came. I was working from several authoratative books by reknowned authors.
I had the same thing on my Moskvich and Stupice tomatoes.
Tomato Leaf Curling 06-15-11
This was a Moskvich taken June 15th and since they they are still all growing well except for the curling, so I'm not worrying.

Yours looks like mine so don't worry about it. Water or not water makes no difference.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  kimkrupsha 6/21/2011, 2:01 pm

Thank you so much for your comments and replies! I appreciate the advice and reassurances.
kimkrupsha
kimkrupsha

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/21/2011, 5:14 pm

I can tell you from experience that if you pruned or suckered your tomatoes, you may have taken the growing tip and freaked the plant out. I have checked most everything I've read from pH to potassium/potash to calcium, etc. Nothing seemed to be the cause. I stopped pruning or even messing with that plant entirely and another shoot has appeared. I'm still not touching my plant in hopes of recovery.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Bec 6/22/2011, 7:00 am

I have a yellow pear tomato plant that's doing the same thing - leaves are curling up. We've been having rain lately and hot temperatures after having chilly temps a couple of weeks ago and all this rain is coming after no rain - grass was turning brown and getting brittle. I haven't noticed it on my other tomato plants so I'm learning from you all that it just might be natural for this type of tomato plant. Thanks. I'll keep watching it but not worry about it. I did plant every tomato plant with crushed egg shells in the hole before placing the plant in, then sprinkling blood meal on top of the soil. I had blossom end rot last year so hopefully the egg shells will prevent that this year. Time will tell. I'll be picking my first tomatoes in a day or 2 from my Sun Gold tomatoes, which are a cherry type. I put bird netting over those because birds started to find them and peck at them. Evil or Very Mad Excited for some harvest soon though.
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum