Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help with Day Neutral Strawberries Toplef10Help with Day Neutral Strawberries 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help with Day Neutral Strawberries I22gcj10Help with Day Neutral Strawberries 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help with Day Neutral Strawberries Toplef10Help with Day Neutral Strawberries 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help with Day Neutral Strawberries I22gcj10Help with Day Neutral Strawberries 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help with Day Neutral Strawberries

+2
quiltbea
MasonGarden
6 posters

Go down

Help with Day Neutral Strawberries Empty Help with Day Neutral Strawberries

Post  MasonGarden 6/13/2011, 10:27 am

OK, maybe I'm just being too impatient, but we haven't seen any strawberries yet. I have a 4x4 box with Tribute and Mara Des Bois strawberries which were sown as transplants on April 30th. They seem to be growing, but have produced VERY few flowers (none yet on the Mara Des Bois). I get excited each time I see a flower, and it turns into a little green berry, but then it seems to dry up and go away. I have a bird net over the box so the birds in our yard don't get to them, but I don't know why we aren't seeing any edible fruit yet.

Strawberries are the favorite fruit in our house, and I was really looking forward to plentiful harvests. Is it simply too soon?
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Help with Day Neutral Strawberries Empty Re: Help with Day Neutral Strawberries

Post  quiltbea 6/13/2011, 1:43 pm

Strawberries produce very few if any berries the first year. In fact, if any blossoms arrive, you should pick them off so the plant can use its energy to produce a strong root system.
The 2nd and 3rd year is when you will get lots of berries. After than the plants will decline so you need to make room for the runners to root and be your mothers the following year.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Hyzleyes 6/13/2011, 3:08 pm

I planted two June Bearing plants and got a handful of strawberries from them. (Didn't have the will power to pick off the blossoms!) But I also planted 22 bare roots (11 June bearing and 11 Everbearing), thinking I'd pick the blossoms off of them this year. However, I only have green on 5 of the 22, and no blossoms to pick off. Curious if this is typical or if I did something wrong. And will the bare roots still do anything for next year of they're not greening up yet? Should I replace them yet this year to get a start for next year? Or just wait for next year?
Hyzleyes

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 6/13/2011, 4:50 pm

Thanks, Quiltbea! I had read in some other threads that some people pick off the blossoms the first year to increase yield the second year, but I didn't realize that the first year that you barely get any blossoms to begin with. I guess we'll just have to keep buying organic strawberries for now, and hold out for eating our own next year. Or is it possible to buy 2-year transplants? so that we can get berries still this season?
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/13/2011, 9:38 pm

My 2010 bare-roots are loaded with berries this year! Not trying to rub it in, trying to tell you that if this year came around for this very impatient gardener, next year really will come around for you, and will be well worth it!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 6/14/2011, 5:17 pm

As they say: "Patience is a virtue". So, I guess I'd better find some! Wink Thanks, Martha.
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  TheVickster 6/20/2011, 9:11 pm

If they are day neutral, you may get berries the next time around - later this year. I've read you should snip the blossoms in June, but it is fine to let them develop berries later in the year. i have new June bearing, ever-bearing, and day neutral this year. I snipped off the first round of blossoms, and I'm curious to see what will happen with the ever-bearing and day neutral as time goes on. Our ever-bearing varieties have another round of blossoms.

MotherEarthNews.com has a helpful article, search for 'Grow Superb Strawberries'. I also got a lot of tips from a catalog a friend at a nursery gave me. The web site has the same info: IndianaBerry.com.

Keep us posted! =]
TheVickster
TheVickster

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 6/20/2011, 11:20 pm

Vickster thanks for the info. I'll be sure to look up the article on MotherEarthNews.com I removed the very few blossoms that I had on my berries, and right now they seem to be shooting off runners, so I guess there still some life in them. hyper It would be great to get some berries later in the year though!
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 6/21/2011, 12:58 am

I'm growing Tribute strawberries. In Mel's Mix, of course! I started mine late spring last year (25 bare root plants from Burpee). I did not remove any flowers -- just couldn't do it! They were kind of sparse the first year, but we had strawberries up through late September.

Here they are on September 3, 2010...
Help with Day Neutral Strawberries Strawb18

The crates started falling apart so I separated the plants and ended up with 7 of the cedar planters w/ 4 -5 plants per pot. I had also started new ones from the runners. We surrounded the planters and covered the plants with straw over the winter.

This spring we had double the blossoms and double the fruit. Here they are on May 24, 2011...
Help with Day Neutral Strawberries Strawb21

Closeup so you can see all the berries!
Help with Day Neutral Strawberries Strawb20

I picked the last berries from the spring blooming about two weeks ago. Then last week I clipped off all the old fruit stems and any dead or dying leaves. All the plants have new growth coming up now. I believe these type are supposed to bear about every six weeks, so I expect to see more the latter part of July. Then if the hard frosts hold off, I should have more in September!

Oh yeah, and I've got 22 new plants from the runners this spring!

pattipan

pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 6/21/2011, 11:44 am

Pattipan - Beautiful containers and strawberries! You give me hope! praise

Here is a picture of my "berry-less" strawberry bed (I've been pinching off any flowers, but I haven't seen any new ones in a while). Sad The plants seem healthy though, and are putting out lots of new runners. I still have bird netting attached to the framing over the box from when I was trying to let the blossoms go to berries and keep the birds out of the bed.

Help with Day Neutral Strawberries 06_21_11

The empty squares in the middle did have spinach seedlings, but because of the extremely wet then extremely hot weather we had, they didn't make it. I'll try spinach in those squares again in late-summer/early-fall.
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 7/22/2011, 1:40 am

Just thought I would report on my Tribute day-neutral strawberries. They are now blooming and bearing again this week. Runners are coming out like crazy! I started 22 new plants from the spring runners...how many more do I want/need? I think I may pot some of them to give away and trim the rest off. They don't seem to mind the heatwave we've been having. As long as I keep them watered, they seem to thrive in it. I now have 10 cedar planters + 2 window boxes and a single one in a flower pot (out of curiosity) -- it has a berries on it too!

I bought myself a small ice cream maker last month...guess what I am going to make this weekend?

Help with Day Neutral Strawberries Strawb10

Help with Day Neutral Strawberries Strawb11

Help with Day Neutral Strawberries Strawb12

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 7/22/2011, 11:40 am

Homemade strawberry ice cream! Lucky you, Pattipan! I have been plucking the blooms off my berry plants as instructed, but noticed that one set of plants seems to be pretty determined to set fruit, so I've decided to let it go. I'd love to be able to actually eat a few homegrown berries this year myself. hungry
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum