Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pruning Tomatoes Toplef10Pruning Tomatoes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pruning Tomatoes I22gcj10Pruning Tomatoes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pruning Tomatoes Toplef10Pruning Tomatoes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pruning Tomatoes I22gcj10Pruning Tomatoes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Pruning Tomatoes

+5
GWN
sherryeo
camprn
shannon1
Hyzleyes
9 posters

Go down

Pruning Tomatoes Empty Pruning Tomatoes

Post  Hyzleyes 6/11/2011, 2:45 pm

New SFGer here. I know I need to prune my tomatoes, just haven't ever done it before and have a few questions...

1. I've pruned all of the suckers. Do I also take off branches? How do I know which ones and how many?

2. Do the branches and the suckers both root and make new plants? If so, how far are they behind the original plant(s)? Just curious if it's worth it now or if they'll be too late for the season.

Thanks in advance!

Christine
Hyzleyes

Back to top Go down

Pruning Tomatoes Empty Re: Pruning Tomatoes

Post  shannon1 6/12/2011, 12:34 am

Hi Pruning Tomatoes 240144 and welcome. I prune off the bottom leaves, any that would touch the ground and any discolored ones as well. Only the suckers will make new plants not leaves.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Hyzleyes 6/12/2011, 8:43 pm

Thank you Shannon! Ok, I've pruned off all the very low branches on all four plants. I've removed all the suckers on two of them and all but the lowest sucker on two of them. I read somewhere that this was recommended. Seems like there are vastly differing opinions out there on this topic! I'm curious though, if in SFG, I should be pruning all of the suckers because of space. Any advice welcome!
Hyzleyes

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/12/2011, 10:19 pm

Hyzleyes wrote: if in SFG, I should be pruning all of the suckers because of space.
Pruning Tomatoes Nodding
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Pruning Tomatoes Empty Pruning Tomatoes

Post  sherryeo 6/12/2011, 10:37 pm

Hyzleyes,

I think it's generally recommended to leave any sucker above the top flowering cluster. You can prune that after the next flowering cluster appears. This is really, from what I understand, to help be sure you're cutting the sucker and not the main stem above the flowers. It is just easier to tell which is which once the next flowering cluster appears - don't prune the branch with the flowering cluster.

There are some excellent posts on pruning tomatoes here on the forum. Just enter "pruning tomatoes" in the little search engine at the bottom of the "Latest Topics" to the left. It should bring up lots of posts, some with a link to a video you can watch that shows how to prune tomatoes (and also "string" tomatoes rather than using stakes for support) that is really good. Very Happy
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/15/2012, 4:52 pm

I think it's generally recommended to leave any sucker above the top flowering cluster. You can prune that after the next flowering cluster appears. This is really, from what I understand, to help be sure you're cutting the sucker and not the main stem above the flowers. It is just easier to tell which is which once the next flowering cluster appears - don't prune the branch with the flowering cluster.
This is the exact detail I have never been sure of, thanks so much.....
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/15/2012, 7:57 pm

GWN wrote:
This is the exact detail I have never been sure of, thanks so much.....
I pinch out ALL suckers but will not prune stems of foliage above any bloom.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Pruning Tomatoes WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 7/11/2012, 7:21 pm

So apparently I am terrible about pruning my tomatoes Embarassed I may a missed a few suckers or eight and now have 4 tomatoes with 3-4 vines... They are all indeterminate a jubilee, sweet 100, red delicious, and better boy. Can I trim them back to one vine without killing them?
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/11/2012, 7:36 pm

cheyannarach wrote:So apparently I am terrible about pruning my tomatoes Embarassed I may a missed a few suckers or eight and now have 4 tomatoes with 3-4 vines... They are all indeterminate a jubilee, sweet 100, red delicious, and better boy. Can I trim them back to one vine without killing them?
Do all those stems have blooms or fruit? If yes, at this point I would just leave them on and support them as best possible. I have had a similar situation in the past and it really is not a terrible thing! Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Pruning Tomatoes WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 7/11/2012, 8:11 pm

Alot of them do and some of them don't, should I leave the fruiting ones on and remove the others maybe? If I remove one and stick it in a jug of water will it root that way and make a new plant thinking
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  chjbr63 7/11/2012, 9:13 pm

Yes it will, this one was 6 inch sucker that I put in water for about 2 weeks then buried all but an inch. It is about 20 inches and starting to flower now. I think it was somewhere on the forum that I read the age of the DNA is the same as the mother plant so it will fruit around the same time.
Pruning Tomatoes 07111212
chjbr63
chjbr63

Male Posts : 106

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 7/12/2012, 12:24 am

chjbr63 wrote:Yes it will, this one was 6 inch sucker that I put in water for about 2 weeks then buried all but an inch. It is about 20 inches and starting to flower now. I think it was somewhere on the forum that I read the age of the DNA is the same as the mother plant so it will fruit around the same time.
Pruning Tomatoes 07111212

My only concern now is I don't know who the mother is, these are not suckers they are full blown vines so I don't want to kill the mother if I remove them. Thanks so much for the pics! Is that parsley with your tomato? That is also really good to know about fruiting the same time as the mother, a person could save a lot of time and $ buying plants and making new plants this way!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  chjbr63 7/12/2012, 12:48 am

Yes that is parsley. That bucket was suppose to be full of it, most didn't come up so I stuck that sucker in. The only way you will kill the mother is poison, disease, bugs or pulling the whole plant out. I had deer eat 8 of mine down to 3 inch stumps and all of them came back with 2-5 suckers that are the main plant now. Here is another picture. The tomato in the middle of the box was completely eaten. Out of the 3 inch stump grew 5 suckers. 2 weeks ago I cut 2 off that were almost 3 feet long and my mother took them a 100 miles away and they are now doing well in another garden.
Pruning Tomatoes Tomato10
chjbr63
chjbr63

Back to top Go down

Pruning Tomatoes Empty Suckers

Post  Luke Allen 7/12/2012, 8:27 am

I have always suckered my tomatoes as I feel the fruit has a better taste. However I grow my vines in baskets that are 5 and 1/2 feet tall. As the plants began to get to the top of the baskets I leave all suckers to make a more dense top to shade the rest of the plant. I live in West Texas where shade is very important. This shade lets my plants live through the 100+ temperatures that we have. I harvest fruit until the end of November.
Luke Allen
Luke Allen

Male Posts : 54

http://lukeallen900@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 7/12/2012, 9:14 am

chjbr63 wrote:Yes that is parsley. That bucket was suppose to be full of it, most didn't come up so I stuck that sucker in. The only way you will kill the mother is poison, disease, bugs or pulling the whole plant out. I had deer eat 8 of mine down to 3 inch stumps and all of them came back with 2-5 suckers that are the main plant now. Here is another picture. The tomato in the middle of the box was completely eaten. Out of the 3 inch stump grew 5 suckers. 2 weeks ago I cut 2 off that were almost 3 feet long and my mother took them a 100 miles away and they are now doing well in another garden.
Pruning Tomatoes Tomato10

Alright, you've convinced me! When I get home from work today I am cutting the non flowering vines off! Thank you!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/12/2012, 10:13 am

Yes it will, this one was 6 inch sucker that I put in water for about 2 weeks then buried all but an inch. It is about 20 inches and starting to flower now. I think it was somewhere on the forum that I read the age of the DNA is the same as the mother plant so it will fruit around the same time.
This is really interesting, never thought to do that.
I am trying very hard to keep my tomatoes perfectly pruned, because with the SFG they are in smaller places than they used to be. SO I am being RUTHLESS.
I have about 30 plants and I go out every day and even doing that, about once a week I notice that an entire branch has grown up from down below.
I feel terrible chopping it off, but now I will stick them in water. Smile They are very very sneaky.
The other problem I now have with 3 of my plants after a terrible wind storm Monday that hit for 10 minutes but did lots of damage, is that I have 3 plants with no leading stem. So for these I will have to wait for a sucker and then encourage it to become the new "mother"

The OTHER issue I am having is that I decided this year to plant my seedlings laying the rootball on its side with some of the stem to encourage better roots, however almost all of those plants keep sending up new plants at the base of the main plant. These I pull up and stick in water as they all have their own roots. ???
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 7/12/2012, 11:18 am

GWN wrote:
This is really interesting, never thought to do that.
I am trying very hard to keep my tomatoes perfectly pruned, because with the SFG they are in smaller places than they used to be. SO I am being RUTHLESS.
I have about 30 plants and I go out every day and even doing that, about once a week I notice that an entire branch has grown up from down below.
I feel terrible chopping it off, but now I will stick them in water. Smile They are very very sneaky.
The other problem I now have with 3 of my plants after a terrible wind storm Monday that hit for 10 minutes but did lots of damage, is that I have 3 plants with no leading stem. So for these I will have to wait for a sucker and then encourage it to become the new "mother"

The OTHER issue I am having is that I decided this year to plant my seedlings laying the rootball on its side with some of the stem to encourage better roots, however almost all of those plants keep sending up new plants at the base of the main plant. These I pull up and stick in water as they all have their own roots. ???

Yes GWN! That's what we are doing and they should develop new roots is a week or so! I did this with basil (with advice from Rowena) and voila! New basil plant!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  chjbr63 7/12/2012, 5:06 pm

Cheyanne,

No need to thank me, I'm just happy I could help. Besides if it were not for the great people running the forum and all the vast knowledge of the members I would have given up gardening a long time ago. Pruning Tomatoes 73140

Good Luck With Your Suckers

Chris
chjbr63
chjbr63

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 7/12/2012, 8:33 pm

Hey Cheyanne,

How do you get basil to start another plant??? Do I cut it so there are at least two sets of leaves and put the stem in water and it will sprout new roots?

Will this work for oregano too? If so I could have more than one planting with one plant.....
Pruning Tomatoes 3170584802
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 7/12/2012, 9:05 pm

floyd1440 wrote:
Hey Cheyanne,

How do you get basil to start another plant??? Do I cut it so there are at least two sets of leaves and put the stem in water and it will sprout new roots?

Will this work for oregano too? If so I could have more than one planting with one plant.....
Pruning Tomatoes 3170584802

I don't remember for sure about oregano because I think oregano creeps and reroots to spread so with that you may be able to dig up an established reroot and relocate it but that is exactly what I did with the basil and it's got lots of roots now, I need to get it in the garden now!

I clipped all but one of my monster suckers and they are all in a bucket of water, hopefully they take, I will keep you posted! I have a few more empty squares after last night Pruning Tomatoes 671790 darn deer... so I sprinked some fresh cayenne on everything and scattered more coffee grounds all around the yard. I would love to see them when they get a whiff of the pepper :lolsignwave:
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum