Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Should I give up on these plants Toplef10Should I give up on these plants 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Should I give up on these plants I22gcj10Should I give up on these plants 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Should I give up on these plants Toplef10Should I give up on these plants 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Should I give up on these plants I22gcj10Should I give up on these plants 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Should I give up on these plants

+2
walshevak
moswell
6 posters

Go down

Should I give up on these plants Empty Should I give up on these plants

Post  moswell 6/9/2011, 9:36 am

Well, so in another thread I mentioned a big mistake I apparently made. I noticed aphids, and tried a home remedy involving oil, water, and dishsoap. Unfortunately, no one mentioned I should rinse the spray off after a couple hours, and I ended up with very, very burned plants. All three tomato plants got major burn, and a couple of the peppers ended up with burning from catching some of the spray mistakenly. Dopey, dopey me.

So now I need help deciding if I can keep these alive or if I should just take them out and start over. Frankly, of all the plants, the poor peppers now almost look the worse. If I touch a leaf it falls off. pale

Here are some pictures:

Should I give up on these plants Sfg06014
(Roma tomato - has a couple tomatoes on it already)

Should I give up on these plants Sfg06015
(sungold - has had what look like flower buds for a few days)

Should I give up on these plants Sfg06016
(Ramapo - I already picked off all the crunchy leaves, this is new growth, so even though it's way reduced in size . . .)

Should I give up on these plants Sfg06017
(bell pepper - I haven't seen flowers on this yet)

Should I give up on these plants Sfg06018
(banana pepper - flowers and leaves falling off this poor thing)

What do people think? We've had a couple unbearably hot days here, which I'm sure isn't helping. Should I keep trying to baby these plants (and if so, suggestions for babying are welcome)? Or should I take them out and start fresh. It's only the beginning of June, so I figure I'd still be able to get a harvest if I replanted from seedlings.
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Should I give up on these plants Empty Re: Should I give up on these plants

Post  walshevak 6/9/2011, 10:01 am

As I understand things, the plants might survive but your harvest would be greatly reduced and not as good. If you can, and since it's so early in the season, I would replace. Might keep the one that has maters on it as a control plant to see how accurate that statement is.

And next time try reducing the amount of soap. I almost killed an indoor ficus tree because I put too much soap in the spray. Took it months to get leaves again.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 6/9/2011, 10:02 am

walshevak wrote:As I understand things, the plants might survive but your harvest would be greatly reduced and not as good. If you can, and since it's so early in the season, I would replace. Might keep the one that has maters on it as a control plant to see how accurate that statement is.

And next time try reducing the amount of soap. I almost killed an indoor ficus tree because I put too much soap in the spray. Took it months to get leaves again.

Kay

Thanks for the advice. Just out of curiosity, how much soap did you use? I had a ratio of 1.5 cups water, 1 cup oil, 2 tbsp soap. I thought it was the oil that did them in.
moswell
moswell

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/9/2011, 10:07 am

I think you may be right. That is a lot of oil. I didn't use oil, just 1/2 liter of water and 3 tsp of dishsoap. But the aphids went away. Very Happy I did start spraying with plain water after the leaves started dropping.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 6/9/2011, 10:09 am

walshevak wrote:I think you may be right. That is a lot of oil. I didn't use oil, just 1/2 liter of water and 3 tsp of dishsoap. But the aphids went away. Very Happy I did start spraying with plain water after the leaves started dropping.

Kay

Gotta love the internet. I was so panicked about the darn aphids, I should have come here and waited for a response about getting rid of them as opposed to following a recipe for aphid killer I found elsewhere.
moswell
moswell

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 6/9/2011, 10:17 am

I mix my aphid treatment right in the spray bottle. I'm not sure how much it holds (maybe 2 cups?), but I use Ivory dishsoap because it is so mild (just a few drops), and water. I try to remember to put the water in first or else I get a lot of foam. Every once in a while I will add Neem Oil (just a few drops), but I have to be very careful with it because it will kill the caterpillars I am trying to save. I don't rinse.
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/9/2011, 10:22 am

Thanks Nancy, that sounds like a much more sensible ratio. I will keep it in mind for both outdoors and in.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 6/9/2011, 1:53 pm

I guess I'll give up on the plants, but not the planting. I went out today at lunch and bought two new pepper plants (the bell was nice and big too, so I don't think I'll lose any time). I bought extra ramapo and a moreton yesterday just in case I decided to scrap the faltering plants. My only issue is the sungold - I really, really, want the sungold. However, there doesn't seem to be a place near me any more that has some. Can I take a good branch off my existing sungold plant and somehow get it to produce roots so I can replant it?
moswell
moswell

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 6/9/2011, 2:35 pm

The answer is yes, you could cut a branch and try to get it to root, but If it has some new growth, I would leave it. It will probably come back, might just take a little while.

Last year a farmer nearby was spraying roundup, and it drifted onto my garden. Everything wilted somewhat, some died. For a couple weeks, I debated pulling all my plants and starting over. Later, when the plants I left came back and produced a LOT of tomatoes my lady kept telling me "Aren't you glad you didn't pull those plants?".
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 6/9/2011, 2:52 pm

Squat_Johnson wrote:The answer is yes, you could cut a branch and try to get it to root, but If it has some new growth, I would leave it. It will probably come back, might just take a little while.

Last year a farmer nearby was spraying roundup, and it drifted onto my garden. Everything wilted somewhat, some died. For a couple weeks, I debated pulling all my plants and starting over. Later, when the plants I left came back and produced a LOT of tomatoes my lady kept telling me "Aren't you glad you didn't pull those plants?".

Interesting. I do have new growth on all the tomatoes, just not on the peppers. Maybe I'll try to keep the sungold going. I've already got some replacement ramapo, so I don't feel too bad about pulling that one out.
moswell
moswell

Back to top Go down

Post  HPartin 6/9/2011, 8:01 pm

I have a tomato with roundup residue effects. It was double stemmed and I cut one stem and let the smaller one (which wasn't harmed) take over. Unfortunately after a month, the leaves are very thick and dark green and the poor tomato is still suffering. It is quite disappointing. I would go ahead and replace yours if you can find anymore in the stores.

I have found that pepper plants are very sensitive to soap sprays. I would cut waay back on the oil and soap. Never spray when it is bright and sunny and always rinse off after a little bit. The spray only kills on contact and so after an hour has done all it's going to do.

I damaged two of my peppers considerably right when I planted them in April. They were convered with aphids. After nursing them for a 6 weeks I decided to give them a shot of Miracle Gro--I know some of you are cringing-- but two days later there were little baby leaves all up the stem. I thought it truly was a miracle Very Happy . A week later I gave it another shot and a few days later there were flowers.

Heidi
HPartin

Female Posts : 120

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 6/11/2011, 11:07 am

Well, I'm rather excited, because I woke up today and took a quick look at the plants. The sungold, which was really looking terrible, has two good things going for it today. 1) The blossoms that were there before are starting to open on the main stem that had all the burned leaves. 2) The plant must have gone into panic mode, and since I planted using the lay-me-down method, it looks like it's sprung a new stem right out of another part of the root, and that stem looks great! Very Happy

Should I give up on these plants Sfg06110
Old growth, with flowers.

Should I give up on these plants Sfg06111
New growth

What do you think? Should I cut back the older, larger stem with the flowers on it to make the plant devote more energy to the new stem?
moswell
moswell

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 6/13/2011, 8:53 am

Forgive me folks, I'm going to bump this up to see if someone who wasn't on this weekend might have an answer to my last question about what I should do with the sungold. Thanks!
moswell
moswell

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 6/13/2011, 10:20 am

I'd cut off the old stem and let the new one take over. The weaker the plant the more prone it is to disease and insect damage.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 6/13/2011, 10:35 am

dizzygardener wrote:I'd cut off the old stem and let the new one take over. The weaker the plant the more prone it is to disease and insect damage.

Smile - thanks dizzy. It's going to take all my willpower to force myself to cut off stems with branches that have flowers, lol, but if people think it's better for the plant in the long run I'll find a way. If someone in Central Jersey sees anyone outside acting like Dr. Strangelove (see below), well, that's just me. Very Happy
Should I give up on these plants BAH
moswell
moswell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum