Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Question for those who companion garden. Toplef10Question for those who companion garden. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Question for those who companion garden. I22gcj10Question for those who companion garden. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Question for those who companion garden. Toplef10Question for those who companion garden. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Question for those who companion garden. I22gcj10Question for those who companion garden. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Question for those who companion garden.

+2
milaneyjane
martha
6 posters

Go down

Question for those who companion garden. Empty Question for those who companion garden.

Post  martha 6/5/2011, 9:10 pm

When one is told not to plant two things together - such as tomatoes and rosemary - how far apart? Is it sharing the dirt or sharing airspace?

I am so confused.......and I can't find my copy of "Carrots Love Tomatoes". Question for those who companion garden. 615992
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Question for those who companion garden. Empty Re: Question for those who companion garden.

Post  milaneyjane 6/5/2011, 9:21 pm

I go to the extreme.....I don't plant them in the same 4x4 box. I have the flexibility with enough boxes that I try to give each plant the optimal growing conditions. I start each season with a list of those that aren't companions and start splitting them apart, and then go for the plants that can go together. If all else fails, I will do entire boxes of one plant. I am growing obscene amounts of peppers this year and figure a solid box is to my advantage so that they can all be covered in the coldframe this fall. But I guess that has nothing to do with companion planting Laughing
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Question for those who companion garden. Empty Re: Question for those who companion garden.

Post  martha 6/5/2011, 9:36 pm

That is what I am doing - separate boxes, but some of my boxes are adjacent this year.

My other frustration is I looked up some reference info on line, and from the same source I got the following information:

Beans are good to plant with peas.

Don't plant peas with beans.

:scratch:
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane 6/5/2011, 11:16 pm

I ran into a problem this year with the green beans and hot peppers which are not supposed to go near each other. But I had them placed on opposite sides of a 3 foot wide patch. I had to search to find the info that it had to do with nitrogen and peppers being sensitive to nitrogen so I figure I am just fine since neither has a very big root system.
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 6/6/2011, 1:01 am

Sigh, I just looked up tomatoes in Carrots love Tomatoes and did not find anything about rosemary. I did find out that the tomatoes and cabbage I got from a family friend who had extras shouldn't be next to each other but I planted them over a week ago.... 1 tomato surrounded by cabbage... oops. Don't plant near corn or potatoes either. There was a long list of things that like tomatoes.

Rosemary does well with the cabbage family and that's really all it had on that.

Hope that helps.
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/6/2011, 12:15 pm

Krazi, the tomato/rosemary thing I got from the same site as the pea/bean dilemna. I'm going to have to buy a new copy of Carrots Love Tomatoes - it's the only way I will find my first copy!
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX 6/6/2011, 12:29 pm

I read that basil will kill rosemary or maybe it is the other way around. I planted both in the same 4x4 bed. My basil is near my tomato plants and my rosemary is a knights move away from my basil (two squares back and one square over). Both rosemary and basil are doing fine. I also read that you can plant the two together. I tended to not plant items close together if one source said not to. Either they are fine planted together or I have them far enough away.
H_TX

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 6/6/2011, 12:34 pm

Somebody else was kind enough to post this and among similar others it is a good companion reference. http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane 6/6/2011, 7:24 pm

Westie----I love that site and used it often this year. I printed off a copy and put it in my container with all my seeds so I always have it handy when I am planting and planning.
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 6/6/2011, 11:01 pm

lol, I googled to see who to thank and it has been given out in the forum at least 10 times. A regular google outside the forum lists several others, some are just charts with yes/no answers which would be fast to use and a few also give detailed info. But yes this one is good and is popular too.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/6/2011, 11:37 pm

westie, I have been over at the site you posted. It looks good - and doesn't seem to contradict itself like the one I spent a lot of time on - and then noticed the "peas like beans" "beans don't like peas" problem.
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicola 6/12/2011, 8:17 pm

I did a search for "Carrots Love Tomatoes" on Yahoo, and after slogging through a bunch of ads to buy the book, I found this link:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/carrots-love-tomatoes-companion-planting-for-a-healthy-garden-zb0z11zbug.aspx

There were 5 different Bean topics, (none of which mentioned peas) and when I scrolled down, I saw "Peas grow well with ... beans ... as well as many aromatic herbs. They do not grow well with onions, garlic and gladiolus."
Hope this helps,until you find your own copy study
Nicola
Nicola

Female Posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down