Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review Toplef10Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review I22gcj10Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review Toplef10Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review I22gcj10Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review

+7
Goosegirl
CindiLou
Dunkinjean
sceleste54
walshevak
milaneyjane
martha
11 posters

Go down

Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review Empty Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review

Post  martha 6/5/2011, 8:43 pm

So, I am too lazy to go back through the old posts. The person who said the boards were warped was somewhat right - about 25% of them are. For my purposes, where I needed to upgrade a lot of boxes all at once, they are great. My opinion is that for some people they will be awesome and for some people not at all desirable.

In this photo you can see the two boards that don't line up perfectly due to one being warped. However, the amount of MM I am going to lose, at least this season, is negligible.

The string grids are droopy because they are stuck on with masking tape, waiting for me to figure out what I want to use for permanent fasteners.

Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review Img_3111

Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review Img_3112

Last edited by boffer on 6/5/2011, 9:09 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : hit send by mistake)
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review Empty Re: Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review

Post  milaneyjane 6/5/2011, 8:50 pm

Looks great. How much did they cost you per box?
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review Empty Re: Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review

Post  martha 6/5/2011, 8:56 pm

$35.00.

Since my garden is at the restaurant, it is really important that it look better than in years past, and this was definitely a quick, affordable fix to give me a really good head start.
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/5/2011, 8:59 pm

I think they look very neat and decorative. But I'm not a perfectionist. I expect any wood that will be outside for any length of time to be slightly warped anyway. So you just got a head start.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/5/2011, 9:04 pm

The reason the vermiculite in the MM doesn't show is because the boxes are mulched - I hope it works, I used Happy Frog Soil Conditioner. It has the same texture as Mainely Mulch - like a finely chopped hay. (I don't know how local Mainely Mulch is - maybe no one has heard of it.)
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/5/2011, 9:06 pm

walshevak wrote:I think they look very neat and decorative. But I'm not a perfectionist. I expect any wood that will be outside for any length of time to be slightly warped anyway. So you just got a head start.

Kay

I like the way you think!
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 6/5/2011, 9:42 pm

I think they are lovely !! And I can promise you I'd make a beeline for any restaurant in my area that had squarefoot beds of veggies out back !!
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 6/5/2011, 9:51 pm

Martha,

I have used both thumb tacks, nails and screws for the string grids. The thumb tacks are the easiest and work fine!

Your boxes look great!

Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/5/2011, 10:04 pm

Dunkinjean, functionally I was thinking push pins, but I don't want breakable plastic knobs sticking up. So I think you are right - and I will buy thumbtacks tomorrow.

Lots of people tell me how much they love seeing me out in the garden when they drive by during the day, but someday, somewhere someone is going to understand or be interested in SFG.

Actually, that's not fair. Last summer, someone pulled in during the day. She had just started SFGing and her mother had not been able to comprehend it. When the daughter saw my SFG boxes, she was so excited, and by the time she left, her mother did seem more accepting, knowing that her daughter wasn't the only crazy person in the world!
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 6/5/2011, 11:08 pm

I looked at the boxes in my HD this past weekend. Told hubby it would be so simple to "put a screw here, and a screw there" and have the box set up....

Didn't work! I still have the 4x6 that I haven't got the MM mixed up and put in! He's like..but hun shouldn't you wait and see if you'll need more room this year?.....of course my replay is "but I know I will plant it!" Rolling Eyes If I want it it has to come out of the garden budget rofl..

Oh forgot I did throw in the reminder for the niece that needs one soon...Nope didn't work rofl...he is on to my addiction! He knows I would have to "try one out" before letting my niece have one! Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review 889526
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/6/2011, 7:01 am

CindiLou wrote:
...Nope didn't work rofl...he is on to my addiction! He knows I would have to "try one out" before letting my niece have one! Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review 889526

Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review 656620Those dang Hubbies! They learn ALL our tricks!Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review 656620

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 6/6/2011, 8:00 am

the "other half" came home yesterday with a "kumquat" tree i'm thinkin What the heck??? Mad Mad never ate a kumquat in her life an she buys a tree jus cause it was $2 on the bargain rack at lowe's, an weemon wonder why men go bald Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review 671790

boog
boog1
boog1

Male Posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Post  Tril 6/6/2011, 8:05 am

"...she buys a tree jus cause it was $2 on the bargain rack "

That's the same reason we buy shoes that almost fit (they'll stretch) and clothes that almost fit (we'll diet).
Tril
Tril

Female Posts : 198

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/6/2011, 9:33 am

boog1 wrote:the "other half" came home yesterday with a "kumquat" tree i'm thinkin What the heck??? Mad Mad never ate a kumquat in her life an she buys a tree jus cause it was $2 on the bargain rack at lowe's, an weemon wonder why men go bald Home Depot Raised Bed photos/review 671790

boog

It needed a good home.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/6/2011, 12:08 pm

Tril wrote:"...she buys a tree jus cause it was $2 on the bargain rack "

That's the same reason we buy shoes that almost fit (they'll stretch) and clothes that almost fit (we'll diet).

Twisted Evil
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 6/6/2011, 12:53 pm

Are those Home Depot boxes 6" tall or 8" tall? They almost look from the pictures like they are double boards.

Also, to attach my grid strings, I used a staple gun, and then tied a knot around the staple to make sure it holds. Works great, was pretty easy, except for trying to get the right angle holding it on its side upside down.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/6/2011, 11:15 pm

8". They are double boards.

I was thinking of a nail gun, but I have mild carpal tunnel syndrome, and the only nail gun I have is heavy duty, so it does tend to aggravate it. How easy (or not) is yours to use?
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 6/7/2011, 6:19 am

From an awkward angle, the staple gun was hard to trigger, I had to really squeeze it.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/7/2011, 3:20 pm

I used a staple gun on my string and found that if I held the head of the staple gun securely to the wood, the lever worked with less pressure and the staples went into the wood a lot better.

I did not cut my string between each line of the grid. On a 4 X 4 this took about 14 feet vertically, then another 14 feet horizontally.

I made a knot, stapled at A1, ran the string to A2, stapled, turned the corner, stapled again,
Ran string to B1, stapled, ran it to B2, stapled, turned the corner, stapled again.
Ran string to C1, stapled, turned the corner, stapled again, ran to C2, stapled, then tied a knot and stapled again. Cut the string at this point.

A1B2C1
A2B1C2

Using the same system, I then put in the horizontal string.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 6/7/2011, 5:57 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:I did not cut my string between each line of the grid.

Now that was smart. Duh, I never would have thought of that...
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down