Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What to use instead of packaged trellis netting? Toplef10What to use instead of packaged trellis netting? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What to use instead of packaged trellis netting? I22gcj10What to use instead of packaged trellis netting? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What to use instead of packaged trellis netting? Toplef10What to use instead of packaged trellis netting? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What to use instead of packaged trellis netting? I22gcj10What to use instead of packaged trellis netting? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What to use instead of packaged trellis netting?

+8
BackyardBirdGardner
WardinWake
sceleste54
camprn
westie42
petals1973
walshevak
SewingMom
12 posters

Go down

What to use instead of packaged trellis netting? Empty What to use instead of packaged trellis netting?

Post  SewingMom 6/5/2011, 12:16 pm

I have my conduit all set up and ready for trellis netting. Unfortunately, I found that I am not able to just run and pick it up anywhere local (not that I can find anyway). We are leaving for vacation so I need to do something today or tomorrow as far as getting my plants up on something, my tomatoes are already starting to sprawl and I won't have time to wait for delivery if I order online.

I have chicken wire I could use, or welded wire fencing with the small rectangular holes, or I have twine I could use to tie my own trellis netting.

I have 6 4x4 boxes that I need to trellis. What do you think would be my best option? I'm thinking it's not a good idea to let them sprawl while I'm gone for over a week or they will be hard to tie to the netting when I get back.
SewingMom

Female Posts : 19

Back to top Go down

What to use instead of packaged trellis netting? Empty Re: What to use instead of packaged trellis netting?

Post  walshevak 6/5/2011, 12:24 pm

I have used twine for my peas and beans for years, but used cages or the chain link fence for tomatos and cukes. I am using the 4" squares nylon net this year. Found it at Lowes, but it wasn't easy to locate the area it was displayed in. Had to get instore help.

Think I'd go with the chicken wire for the tomatos if I was in a bind.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

What to use instead of packaged trellis netting? Empty Re: What to use instead of packaged trellis netting?

Post  petals1973 6/5/2011, 12:27 pm

Home Depot carries the netting. They have it with the stakes and plant ties. I also saw they had some in the seasonal seed section. I hope this helps.
petals1973
petals1973

Female Posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/5/2011, 12:32 pm

see if you can find a description of how to do a "florida weave" using twine. I think I've seen it somewhere on the forum.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 6/5/2011, 12:33 pm

From a practical view using something you already own make great sense as long as it is a solid long term option. I use the welded concrete mesh with 4" holes between the heavy wire mesh. Works great and lasts almost forever. It is what folks commonly make tomato cages from. In another post from SmartChick you could see hers and they used tie wraps to fasten it into the conduit framework which looked nice and seems solid. Your wire fence mite be close to that ?. Another post sloped their trellis so that in picking it was very easy to spot the fruits/veggies hanging down. The weather forecast suggests some real growth spurts ahead otherwise a week to 10 days mite not be too bad this early. Guess if you have the time weaving your own could work but somehow soft mesh does not appeal to me. Just get big enough openings to get in and back out with your harvest well unless it's watermelons.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/5/2011, 2:05 pm

What vegetable are you are trying to grow up the trellis? If it just tomatoes I would try the Florida weave or stakes. If there is serious sprawl it may be time for some pruning action.
sunny
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 6/5/2011, 9:37 pm

I finally got the conduit trellis frame on one of my beds last week, and started my netting today.
I'm using sisal twine from Walmart. I ran the twine up and over the top rail and back down. the ends are tied to bricks for now. I'm weaving the horizontals across the verticals, knotting them as I go. I ran additional strands from my one surviving leggy tomato so I've got it staked and twined as well. I ran lines from sweet potatoes that are starting to run and I'm hopeful I can get them trained up the trellis. Good Luck !!
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 6/6/2011, 6:12 am

sceleste54 wrote:I finally got the conduit trellis frame on one of my beds last week, and started my netting today.
I'm using sisal twine from Walmart. I ran the twine up and over the top rail and back down. the ends are tied to bricks for now. I'm weaving the horizontals across the verticals, knotting them as I go. I ran additional strands from my one surviving leggy tomato so I've got it staked and twined as well. I ran lines from sweet potatoes that are starting to run and I'm hopeful I can get them trained up the trellis. Good Luck !!

Howdy Folks:

We have used sisal and hemp twine in the past. It lasted only until late fall when it became very weak. Currently we are using the nylon strapping that is used to strap products to pallets. We get tons of the stuff at work and it is usually just thrown away. We also use the strapping for our grids.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/6/2011, 9:48 am

I had the same issue finding netting as OP. I settled for the re-bar section of HD. I found 4x8' panels of a gridlike metal mesh with about 4" openings. The metal is used to reinforce concrete in driveways and patios, etc. I just used some metal twist ties and was very generous with how many times I wrapped the wire while attaching the panel. I also attached the panel in about 9 or 10 places along the trellis. It's going to be on there awhile...lol.

Whole thing cost me about $16 for two trellises.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  jymarino 6/6/2011, 11:05 am

BBG

Were those panels in the same area as the really big panels of wire? I've seen that before but only saw really large rolls and they were pretty expensive. If I can find the supplies I may try something like you have. The short little trellis I have is not going to be enough for us.

Rolling Eyes from dd

No from ds
jymarino

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/6/2011, 11:09 am

Those panels are over in the concrete and rebar construction section of the big box stores. They don't look pretty, but they sure look strong.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/6/2011, 11:29 am

walshevak wrote:Those panels are over in the concrete and rebar construction section of the big box stores. They don't look pretty, but they sure look strong.

Kay

Exactly. They look a little unsightly because they come "pre-rusted" lol. But, they felt sturdy enough to try for the value. I'm sure I'll speak of them as summer wears on. The tomatoes and cukes are just now starting to climb them.

They are close to the rolls you saw, jy. But, they lay flat in individual panels. And, I found them at HD or Lowe's. One carried them, one didn't. I can't remember. If you look in my recent tomato tuesday post or the June update, you should get a pic or two with them in there.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX 6/6/2011, 11:48 am

I looked for the nylon tomato netting but I was unable to find it. My tomato plants are are tied to a bamboo stake next to the plant but I also have a trellis made from conduit behind my tomato plants because I was trying to grow some snap peas behind the tomatoes. I used some plain twine that I already had in the garage. My green beans are doing great on my twine trellis. I tied strands to the top crossbar and cut it long enough that it went down to the ground. I had 5 or 6 strands of twine hanging down from the top and then I came in and tied the horizontal pieces to the conduit and made sure to weave these in and out of the evenly spaced vertical strands. The twine may not last very long but it didn't cost me anything. and it was easy to do. Since the tomato plants are staked the brunt of the tomato plants are being supported be the stakes not the trellis.
H_TX

Back to top Go down

Post  busygirl 6/6/2011, 12:02 pm

The last issue of Mother Earth News had a section on the cheapest trellises to make. They suggested cattle panels as one of the options. Similar to the grid concrete reinforcing material mentioned in other posts, but usually in 16 ft sections that you could cut to size. Mother earth also suggested using the entire panel to make an arch or arbor. Here is the link to the article and you can decide what materials you have the easiest access to before you leave.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/tomato-cages-zm0z11zphe.aspx
busygirl
busygirl

Female Posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 6/6/2011, 3:15 pm

I used a horse (5'wide) panel. The grandkids can't wait, one side is planted with asian beans and the other side will be after the peas are done. Then they will have a hiding spot! This is one 16 foot panel.

What to use instead of packaged trellis netting? Dscn3812

This is a 20 foot (cattle-4' wide) panel, out of it I got:

For my squash
What to use instead of packaged trellis netting? 05180119
Extra for 2 tomato cages. these will last forever rofl..
[url=https://servimg.com/view/15590802/65]What to use instead of packaged trellis netting? 05180120
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum