Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
do birds eat the tops off of new beans? Toplef10do birds eat the tops off of new beans? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

do birds eat the tops off of new beans? I22gcj10do birds eat the tops off of new beans? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
do birds eat the tops off of new beans? Toplef10do birds eat the tops off of new beans? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

do birds eat the tops off of new beans? I22gcj10do birds eat the tops off of new beans? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

do birds eat the tops off of new beans?

+5
boffer
Old Hippie
Lavender Debs
pattipan
FamilyGardening
9 posters

Go down

do birds eat the tops off of new beans? Empty do birds eat the tops off of new beans?

Post  FamilyGardening 6/4/2011, 4:24 am

i planted some beans and only 1/3 of them came up....so i planted some more....today i noticed some new ones coming up...but...it looks like something ate off the top part of the bean.....do birds do that?....will it continue to grow?

thanks
rose.....wonders who has been eating the tops off of the beans Shocked
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

do birds eat the tops off of new beans? Empty Re: do birds eat the tops off of new beans?

Post  pattipan 6/4/2011, 8:16 am

FamilyGardening wrote:i planted some beans and only 1/3 of them came up....so i planted some more....today i noticed some new ones coming up...but...it looks like something ate off the top part of the bean.....do birds do that?....will it continue to grow?

To birds it's just a seed that is easy pickin's. I usually keep a net of some kind over my bean plantings until they're up and that seed casing falls off. If nothing is left but the stump of a stem you will need to replant the bean. If you still see the Y where the second leaves will grow, you're probably okay. Re-plant to be sure!

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

do birds eat the tops off of new beans? Empty Re: do birds eat the tops off of new beans?

Post  Lavender Debs 6/4/2011, 8:21 am

Short answer....YES

Replant and cover with a chick wire cage (or with anything you can think of.....in the PNW you can use a cloche. Milk jugs work but are usually not large enough for the whole square foot. Beans need the whole leaf system that they sprout with until they have about 4 to 6 true leaves and an actual root system. If the infant leaves are clipped off the plant starves.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 6/4/2011, 9:49 am

Yes they do!! And pesky tiny slugs have been eating mine. From the looks of things this spring it is going to be a good year for them/bad year for me. They are less than pin head size right now....I can hardly see them but they inflict so much damage over night.

I also have a very pesky crow that I have caught with onions in his/her beak!! So I am going to have to do put something up to it out of my plants before the strawberries start ripening.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/4/2011, 10:02 am

Beans and peas both. Stellar jays are real bad about it. I cover mine with netting till they're a couple inches high.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/4/2011, 10:04 am

I put a sign on my garden that reads:

"This SFG guarded by trained attack cat three nights a week. Guess which three."

It seems to work for now......or maybe it's the bird netting. do birds eat the tops off of new beans? 601593
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/4/2011, 10:19 am

Last year I thought it was the chipmunks that did that to my beans. But the crazy thing was that they grew back!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 6/4/2011, 9:14 pm

BBG - Oh, I have GOT to get me one of those signs! do birds eat the tops off of new beans? 889526
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 6/4/2011, 9:23 pm

Slugs the size of pinheads, at night? Maybe that's why some of my green bean plants seem to have their leaves eaten. I looked at the leaves today and couldn't find any culprits. They come out at night to eat these leaves?

By the way, we watched a nature show, and crows are one of the most intelligent animals (or whatever you call them).

Might anyone happen to know why green bean plants are light green instead of dark green? I topped mine with additional compost the other day thinking maybe they are low on nitrogen, but it didn't seem to change the color. I remember beans (KY wonders) being a deep, dark green, not faded and light green like these. (They're about 6" high now)

I actually woke up last night thinking - maybe it's the well water I'm watering them with...
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down