Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How to Tell When Snap Peas are Flowering? Toplef10How to Tell When Snap Peas are Flowering? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How to Tell When Snap Peas are Flowering? I22gcj10How to Tell When Snap Peas are Flowering? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How to Tell When Snap Peas are Flowering? Toplef10How to Tell When Snap Peas are Flowering? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How to Tell When Snap Peas are Flowering? I22gcj10How to Tell When Snap Peas are Flowering? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How to Tell When Snap Peas are Flowering?

+6
jymarino
kjenkins82
BackyardBirdGardner
camprn
martha
PamB
10 posters

Go down

How to Tell When Snap Peas are Flowering? Empty How to Tell When Snap Peas are Flowering?

Post  PamB 5/31/2011, 5:21 pm

Greetings from South Jersey near Philly! I have an incredibly silly question. I planted sugar snap peas nearly two months ago, and the vines keep growing...and growing...and growing. But they haven't yet flowered.

How does when tell when snap peas are getting ready to flower, and by extension, grow the snap pea itself?

Thanks in advance for your help!
PamB

Back to top Go down

How to Tell When Snap Peas are Flowering? Empty Re: How to Tell When Snap Peas are Flowering?

Post  martha 5/31/2011, 9:28 pm

Me too, and mine just started flowering. My peas had too much cool rainy weather, so they stalled. I'm hoping to get peas before it is too hot.
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

How to Tell When Snap Peas are Flowering? Empty Re: How to Tell When Snap Peas are Flowering?

Post  camprn 5/31/2011, 9:43 pm

What kind of peas are you growing? My sugar ann peas just started blooming 2 days ago (6 weeks after sowing). One day the bloom is absent and then 2 days later blooms everywhere. The pea pod will grow right out of the flower. There are plenty of images on the web you can peek at before your own blooms peek out one morning. Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/31/2011, 10:27 pm

[quote="PamB"]How does when tell when snap peas are getting ready to flower, and by extension, grow the snap pea itself?/[quote]

You'll know. I wondered, too, but they were obvious when they flowered. The pods will form inside the bloom and grow out of it as the bloom drops.

Welcome aboard. You may get a better response in the future if you put this in the General Forum instead of the Welcome Mat, as this part is generally for saying hellos.

We love to see pictures, too. Hope to see you around soon!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  kjenkins82 5/31/2011, 10:34 pm

About how long does it take from blossom to flower? Mine finally had some blossoms yesterday, but it is supposed to be in the 90s all week so I'm not sure they'll hang in there long enough for me to harvest any.
kjenkins82

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/31/2011, 10:58 pm

Buds don't take long to open....a day or two is my guess.....but, I never paid that much attention.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  kjenkins82 5/31/2011, 11:04 pm

Doh! I meant to type blossom to harvest. Embarassed
kjenkins82

Back to top Go down

How to Tell When Snap Peas are Flowering? Empty Thanks!

Post  PamB 6/2/2011, 8:39 am

Thanks everyone for the information! It's been in the 90s for three straight days, but now it's cooling down into the 80s, thank goodness...so hopefully the snap peas will flower before summer completely sets in.

If not, my preschooler can help me rip out the vines so we can plant something else. He'll enjoy that!
PamB

Back to top Go down

Post  jymarino 6/2/2011, 10:01 am

My snap peas are still flowering, and it has been in the 90's all week. I even have a small snap pea plant starting underneath the others. I am hoping it will continue to grow and give me even more peas. Is there any way that you can give it some shade? I accidentally planted my Sweet 100 tom right next to the peas, but God again used my oops to benefit the garden. The tom is actually spreading out and shading the peas, so I am hopeful that my harvest may last a little longer. Good luck and remember that you can plant again in the fall!

God bless!
jymarino

Back to top Go down

Post  jymarino 6/2/2011, 10:10 am

As for your original question, that I totally forgot to answer, I would say probably about 7-10 days from flower to harvest. Once they start producing pods watch them very carefully. They get full really quick, especially if they have enough water. The fresher they are the better they taste. If the pod gets wrinkly just pitch it, it will be very unappetizing.
jymarino

Back to top Go down

Post  Aub 6/2/2011, 10:21 am

Here's some photos of my peas!

How to Tell When Snap Peas are Flowering? B2abd696How to Tell When Snap Peas are Flowering? Bfe0d467
Aub
Aub

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/2/2011, 10:22 am

If you watch the pods form by checking everyday, you will learn quickly by trial and error. I wait for mine to get about 3 inches long and start to "swell" a little. They can start off pretty "flat" and I want them to fill out a bit. Too much, though, and I think I read they lose some taste. I would rather pick everything too early instead of too late. Things are much more tender, and the flavors typically less sharp, when picking on the early side.

But, like everything else, you have to wait for "too late" to know how far you can push things. Again, it's all about trial and error.

My favorite way to eat peas is straight off the vine. I just break one off and pop it in the mouth. I will eat 5-6 everyday as I cruise the garden now....lol. I never thought I was a "grazer," but I guess I am.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  jymarino 6/2/2011, 10:49 am

Aub

Those are some pretty, pretty peas!! Smile You are not far from me, about three hours I think, so that makes me even more hopeful for my peas. I think I overcrowded them b/c I planted them as transplants but still only put 9 in a square. Unless I read it wrong....but I don't think so. I'm going to take some more pics today and hope to post later.
jymarino

Back to top Go down

Post  Aub 6/2/2011, 1:36 pm

I put in 8 per square, but I did 2 rows of 4, running parallel to the trellis. They seem pretty happy, so I guess it works! Very Happy
Aub
Aub

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/2/2011, 2:17 pm

Aub wrote:I put in 8 per square, but I did 2 rows of 4, running parallel to the trellis. They seem pretty happy, so I guess it works! Very Happy
I planted about 18 per square and they are all holding up well and in full bloom. Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/2/2011, 2:22 pm

camprn wrote:
Aub wrote:I put in 8 per square, but I did 2 rows of 4, running parallel to the trellis. They seem pretty happy, so I guess it works! Very Happy
I planted about 18 per square and they are all holding up well and in full bloom. Very Happy

I did 8/square, too. I thought that was a lot. I can't imagine 18! Next year I planned to increase my peas since we love them so much. I think I may put 12 in a square since 18 worked and save the extra squares I was going to devote.

Did I say next year? LOL......I mean this fall!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/2/2011, 2:23 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:

Did I say next year? LOL......I mean this fall!
How to Tell When Snap Peas are Flowering? 311672
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/2/2011, 2:40 pm

camprn wrote:I planted about 18 per square and they are all holding up well and in full bloom. Very Happy

+1 18 per square is not over planting at all.

But I don't have a bloom in sight. Sad Even peas need a little heat to do their thing.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  dianamarie03 6/2/2011, 3:27 pm

No blooms here either, Boffer Sad Plants are tall and look healthy too.
dianamarie03

Female Posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post  jymarino 6/2/2011, 3:44 pm

You guys are a bit north of me and I just started getting blooms a few weeks ago. We have only been getting the really warm weather for a couple of weeks, and last week was nothing but rain, rain, rain. I did give all my plants a dose of Peruvian Seabird Guano tea last week and again this week. I don't know how much the extra guano helps but I figure it can't hurt as long as I don't overdo it. Be patient and keep them well watered. If it suddenly gets really hot where you are, see if you can provide a bit of shade for them. Hopefully you'll get a good harvest once they start going!
jymarino

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 6/2/2011, 4:32 pm

This photo is from 2 weeks ago. I think I had just picked the first batch. Those are Mammoth Melting Snow Peas.
How to Tell When Snap Peas are Flowering? Dsc03617

I planted 4 kinds of Peas this year, and I used a pea innoculant. The Mammoth Melting are by far the best.

They are planted 9 to a sq. I think I planted in late February, but I would have to look at my notes. I have probably frozen about 8 quarts. These are by far the most productive squares in my garden.
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  jymarino 6/2/2011, 4:44 pm

Squat

Did you start these as seeds or transplants? I may have to look for some of those mammoths come autumn. They are way bigger than mine!
jymarino

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down