Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First Timer Toplef10First Timer 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First Timer I22gcj10First Timer 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First Timer Toplef10First Timer 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First Timer I22gcj10First Timer 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

First Timer

4 posters

Go down

First Timer Empty First Timer

Post  H_TX 5/31/2011, 4:08 pm

This is my real first attempt at gardening. My other attempts taught me that dirt in the back yard + water + seed or small plant almost never result in a garden. I have 2 4x4 beds that I built and filled almost 6 weeks ago. I now have tomato plants as tall as I am and all of my other plants are doing well. There is one exception. I guess I was naive to think that having a new garden and not having any neighbors that garden would help to keep pests away. I already lost a zucchini plant to SVB. I tried saving the other squash and zucchini by slicing the stem and removing the grub and they are looking fine for now.

Maybe is is due to the success I am seeing in my garden but I am now hooked. I have so many plans for next year and so many ideas to try out. I am hoping that by being in Houston and having a longer growing season I will be able to learn a lot in my first year.
H_TX

Back to top Go down

First Timer Empty Re: First Timer

Post  pattipan 5/31/2011, 4:22 pm

glad you\'re here

Welcome to the SFG forum, H_TX! You'll find lots of folks here addicted to SFG'ing just like you already are (I recognize the symptoms). You're among kindred spirits here. And it sounds like you are off to a great start too!

I feel your pain when it comes to that evil Squash Vine Borer. I had quite a battle with them last summer, lost a couple of vines, but in the end I won! Be sure to do a forum search on the nasty bug and you'll see we are not alone in the battle. There is even one crazy lady who injected her squash vines with liquid Bt to conquer the nasty borer! Hmmmm...I wonder who that could be?

Look forward to seeing you around the forum!
pattipan

pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  marc-in-pa 5/31/2011, 4:35 pm

Welcome aboard! I had a major problem with SVB last year, which was my first year veggie gardening. Wiped out all of my squash and zucchini. Funny that I just posted today my plan of attack for year 2 on another thread:

1. Put out yellow trays of water. They are attracted to yellow and get trapped. This is more to alert me to their presence than anything else. In my Zone, the borers become active in late June.

2. Look for eggs laid on the underside of leaves and on the stems. Wipe them off with a damp cloth.

3. Use an organic insectide. Lowes promotes a product called Nutria which says it protects against Borers and also Powdery Mildew. You could use Sevin or something similar of you aren't organically oriented

4. Wrap the stems with either shade cloth or tin foil when the adult borers are active.

5. Stand vigil with a tennis racquet and a wide-dispersing water pistol filled with insecticide.

6. Another effective method I've read is to use floating row covers to physically block their entry. However, you have to allow the bees in to do their thing, unless you self pollinate. Another factor is if you had SVBs last year they may emerge from within your garden soil underneath your protective cover. What a horrible thought! Seems like a lot of work with this tactic but if the above methods fail this year, I might go the row-cover route next year.

Hope that helps. I'm sure there are other approaches but that's what I've found to date. Impressive that you were able to save some plants by doing grub surgery. Nice job!
marc-in-pa
marc-in-pa

Male Posts : 90

Back to top Go down

First Timer Empty first Timer

Post  H_TX 5/31/2011, 4:45 pm

Thanks marc-in-pa,
I have even considered making a sifter with wire that has holes about 1" by 1" to try and sift out any SVB cocoons that might be in my soil. Maybe that is another benefit to the SFG or maybe that just means I have a screw lose. I am hoping that I did take care and saved the other plants but only time will tell. I purchased some BT in powder form and put it on as soon as I got home from the store.
H_TX

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 5/31/2011, 5:06 pm

Here's that thread where that about that crazy lady talked about injecting the squash vines with liquid Bt. What a Face

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3339-waging-war-against-the-squash-vine-borer

I have seen those cocoons! Last summer, I didn't know what they were, but found out soon enough. This spring we replaced the dirt in all the squash boxes -- just in case. It's almost SVB time again in WV. I'm now picturing myself out there swingin' a tennis racket. However, I think I might cover the webbing with plywood first. Smile

One other thing I am trying this year is resistant varieties. I planted butternut and spaghetti winter squashes, both are immune to SVB. I am also trying the heirloom Lemon Squash, which is also immune. I still have my zucchini and yellow squash to watch over, I'll let ya know how it goes.

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 6/9/2011, 12:55 am

marc-in-pa wrote:Welcome aboard! I had a major problem with SVB last year, which was my first year veggie gardening. Wiped out all of my squash and zucchini. Funny that I just posted today my plan of attack for year 2 on another thread:

1. Put out yellow trays of water. They are attracted to yellow and get trapped. This is more to alert me to their presence than anything else. In my Zone, the borers become active in late June.

2. Look for eggs laid on the underside of leaves and on the stems. Wipe them off with a damp cloth.

3. Use an organic insectide. Lowes promotes a product called Nutria which says it protects against Borers and also Powdery Mildew. You could use Sevin or something similar of you aren't organically oriented

4. Wrap the stems with either shade cloth or tin foil when the adult borers are active.

5. Stand vigil with a tennis racquet and a wide-dispersing water pistol filled with insecticide.

6. Another effective method I've read is to use floating row covers to physically block their entry. However, you have to allow the bees in to do their thing, unless you self pollinate. Another factor is if you had SVBs last year they may emerge from within your garden soil underneath your protective cover. What a horrible thought! Seems like a lot of work with this tactic but if the above methods fail this year, I might go the row-cover route next year.

Hope that helps. I'm sure there are other approaches but that's what I've found to date. Impressive that you were able to save some plants by doing grub surgery. Nice job!
I like #5 Twisted Evil
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum