Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
JUNE UPDATE pt. 1 It's That Time Again Toplef10JUNE UPDATE pt. 1 It's That Time Again 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

JUNE UPDATE pt. 1 It's That Time Again I22gcj10JUNE UPDATE pt. 1 It's That Time Again 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
JUNE UPDATE pt. 1 It's That Time Again Toplef10JUNE UPDATE pt. 1 It's That Time Again 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

JUNE UPDATE pt. 1 It's That Time Again I22gcj10JUNE UPDATE pt. 1 It's That Time Again 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

JUNE UPDATE pt. 1 It's That Time Again

+4
FarmerValerie
pelujilla
walshevak
shannon1
8 posters

Go down

JUNE UPDATE pt. 1 It's That Time Again Empty JUNE UPDATE pt. 1 It's That Time Again

Post  shannon1 5/29/2011, 1:25 am

Yes it is that time of year June first is offically the start of hurricane season. Here is what NOAA is predicting for this year, and some links to their site.
The Atlantic basin is expected to see an above-normal hurricane season this year, according to the seasonal outlook issued by NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center – a division of the National Weather Service.
Across the entire Atlantic Basin for the six-month season, which begins June 1, NOAA is predicting the following ranges this year:

• 12 to 18 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which:
  • 6 to 10 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including:
  • 3 to 6 major hurricanes (Category 3, 4 or 5; winds of 111 mph or higher)

Each of these ranges has a 70 percent likelihood, and indicate that activity will exceed the seasonal average of 11 named storms, six hurricanes and two major hurricanes.

I hope you have a disaster plan for you and your family already in place if not now is the time. Don't forget your gardens, we can't save our gardens from a hit but we can make sure they don't make matters worse.
Be sure any dead /dieing trees are removed. If a storm is approaching make sure to bring garden tools, lawn furinture and landscaping items inside so the high winds can't pick up and cause damage.
For more information here is a nice link I found http://www.examiner.com/gardening-in-norfolk/preparing-your-yard-for-hurricane-season .

Fun stuff tomorrow in pt.2
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

JUNE UPDATE pt. 1 It's That Time Again Empty Re: JUNE UPDATE pt. 1 It's That Time Again

Post  walshevak 5/29/2011, 6:07 am

Thanks for the reminder. I must remember to take down my trellis and secure my outdoor furniture before I leave town for the summer. Last year I used automotive tiedowns and secured my furniture to a tree and to the deck rails. Also take in any cushions and leave the covers off. They will just fly away.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

JUNE UPDATE pt. 1 It's That Time Again Empty Re: JUNE UPDATE pt. 1 It's That Time Again

Post  pelujilla 5/29/2011, 8:15 am

eek what happens to my babies that are using the trellis?!
pelujilla
pelujilla

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 5/29/2011, 9:02 am

GREAT ideas, I'm going to link to your post when I do the June LS update, we get the leftover remnants from storms up here.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/29/2011, 10:03 am

I would like to add that frequency of hurricanes in no way predicts frequency of landfalls. EACH hurricane bears watching as it nears the US coastline.

For example, a few years back with Charlie and Bonnie, we had lots of landfalls (especially you in Florida) but a relatively inactive hurricane season for the Atlantic Ocean. However, in 1992, there weren't a lot of storms that formed, but one did make landfall......Andrew.

Remain vigilant during the season and realize these are only predictions of activity. Like snow and tornado predictions, activity and damage are not directly proportional as common sense would suggest.

Happy Gardening!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/29/2011, 11:24 am

pelujilla wrote:eek what happens to my babies that are using the trellis?!

Walshevak is removing her trellises and securing everything else because she is leaving the country for a couple of months that will include a portion of the hurricane season.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/30/2011, 3:41 am

Now that the public service announcement is out of the way I have a more interesting June update for tomorrow. I had hoped to post it today but life got in the way, still before June first.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 5/30/2011, 9:18 am

BBG is right, we got winds and rain from Katrina, not enough to get excited about though. Ike however gave us high winds, not really high winds, just enough to blow a few trees down on power lines because the ground was wet, we had no electricity and no rain, but thank goodness it was a bit more cloudy than usual. Ike is the reason my camping coffee pot is in the house at all times, you never know.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 5/31/2011, 9:40 am

I'm really hoping we get some rain out of the hurricane season this year. Alex dumped on us really good last year. It was our first hurricane experience (DH and I) and we were already going out of town and planning to come back right when it was hitting. So we just put all the kids' toys and stuff that could fly around in the garage and extended our trip a few hours further north for the rest of the weekend at the grandparents'.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurach 5/31/2011, 4:39 pm

Thank you for the reminder! I have been through many a hurricane season in SC, five in HI, and this will be our second season in the coastal GA region, so we have a disaster plan in place (along with Ft Stewart's suggested/required action plans). Excellent suggestions for preparation!
Lurach
Lurach

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 6/3/2011, 12:41 am

You are welcome, I felt as the RH here in hurricaneville it was the thing to do. It would be nice to get some tropical rain but the ocean can keep the rest of it IMO. Cool
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum