Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
why am I so tasty? Toplef10why am I so tasty? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

why am I so tasty? I22gcj10why am I so tasty? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
why am I so tasty? Toplef10why am I so tasty? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

why am I so tasty? I22gcj10why am I so tasty? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

why am I so tasty?

+6
dizzygardener
Miss M
middlemamma
Ha-v-v
FarmerValerie
jazzymaddy
10 posters

Go down

why am I so tasty? Empty why am I so tasty?

Post  jazzymaddy 5/25/2011, 8:28 am

So I've been going out 2-3 times a day to putter around the garden. WAY more time outside that I'm accustomed to as one whose blood is the favorite flavor of all the neighborhood biting insects. I currently have 5 various bites on my feet and ankles and at this rate, it may be a long and itchy summer. I don't want to deet myself up every time I walk outside, and then have to shower off 3 times a day. Does anyone have a good alternative method for those quick trips into the wild?

My delicious ankles thank you.
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Female Posts : 309

Back to top Go down

why am I so tasty? Empty Re: why am I so tasty?

Post  FarmerValerie 5/25/2011, 8:45 am

Jazzy, I won a Therma Cell Lantern last year, and finally got to try it the other day. IT WAS AWESEOME. I think they are having another giveaway, look for them on facebook, if I remember after more coffee, I'll take a quick look. It has a small butane tank, that fires up and heats the little "pad" you put on top, that's what keeps the bugs away. It also doubles as a lantern, requiring 4 AA bateries, I keep it out in my garden. My clothes line is another area that is bad, I have to keep bug spray above the washer, I get eat up each time I hang up clothes, I'm thinking about getting one of those Therma Cell things you hang on your pants, it's for hunters and campers. My Brother In Law says it's the best thing he's used.

Okay, look for ThermaCELL World, on Facebook, click like and share that you liked them, and you could win a product, that's how I got my lantern.

This is my lantern.
http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/outdoor-lantern.asp it runs about $40, but it's worth it, you are not putting chemicals all over your body.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/25/2011, 8:49 am

jazzymaddy wrote:So I've been going out 2-3 times a day to putter around the garden. WAY more time outside that I'm accustomed to as one whose blood is the favorite flavor of all the neighborhood biting insects. I currently have 5 various bites on my feet and ankles and at this rate, it may be a long and itchy summer. I don't want to deet myself up every time I walk outside, and then have to shower off 3 times a day. Does anyone have a good alternative method for those quick trips into the wild?

My delicious ankles thank you.

This is what Ive been using since I found it at walmart Skeeter Ban, an all natural product.
Made in the U.S.A. thats a big fat plus for me.
Here is a link
http://www.odornix-eliminates-odors.com/Mosquito_Insect_Repellent.html

I keep on in the garden shed and one up on the deck, need one in the pool area I think too.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 5/25/2011, 9:01 am

Ooh cool. Thanks!
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 5/25/2011, 9:03 am

Thanks H-a-v-v, all natural and made in the U.S.A. is always good.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 5/25/2011, 9:49 am

Valerie, I didn't see your post earlier. That sounds great. I got an Off! lantern on clearance the other day, but haven't pulled it out. Gotta do that. So can you use those 15 minutes at a time and not use up the whole pad at once?
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 5/25/2011, 10:25 am

I'm not sure, I only needed it for about 5 minutes, I was finishing up. I'd have to go read the directions again. It said 15 foot radius, but it worked for my whole garden area. I set it up in the center of the garden, and there is at least 20' in each direction. I deffinately want a clip on one, to hang out laundry, or just run out there real quick to pick peas or something.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 5/25/2011, 4:32 pm

I have good luck with the little bracelets you wear on your wrist...then you only have to wash your wrist...I sometimes wear one on an ankle and a wrist...
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M 5/25/2011, 5:15 pm

We recently got a bug zapper. Twisted Evil In Delaware, we got mosquitoes so bad that we didn't go outside unless we had to go to the car... and we RAN to the car, still getting bitten anyway. Two 1 1/2 acre bug zappers (one in the front and one in the back) and two weeks later, and we could go outside anytime we wanted. And we didn't have to run.

We've had this one up for a few weeks now, and there is a huge difference in the number of mosquitoes! I've gotten only two bites or so in the last couple of weeks!!!

Smaller bug zappers do not work for mosquitoes very well at all. This is why you hear it reported frequently that bug zappers don't attract mosquitoes. You must have at least a 1 1/2 acre zapper for it to attract mosquitoes. I haven't bothered to ask the mosquitoes why that is. You must put the zapper at least 20 feet away from where you plan to be, because you don't want to attract the parasites to you, just to the zapper.

I have also heard from rabbit folks that if you grow catnip, you can pick a few stems and rub it on your skin, and that will repel mosquitoes. What a Face

Personally, I like KILLING them, myself! I'm tasty, too.
Miss M

http://sithrahfarm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 5/25/2011, 5:35 pm

I'm allergic to mosquitoes and I tend to be their favorite flavor. Trust me, I feel your pain (literally for me).

I make sure I am covered up when I go out to the garden. That means pants and long sleeves. I know it is hot, but you just have to be sure to get something that breathes a little. Button down shirts (hubbies shirts) are good as are those moisture-wicking shirts that runners wear. They also make clothing with the insect repellent in them. One good brand is Sloggers. the chemical they use is not as toxic as Deet and doesn't really come off on the skin, so you don't have to go shower crazy.

As for my ankles, I wear boots in the garden. Just regular odd $12 plastic rain boots with my pants legs tucked into the boots and my socks over my pants.

For you neck, try tucking a dryer sheet into your shirt collar. It isn't 100%, but it certainly helps to keep things away.

As a last resort, I'll spray myself with the family friends insect sprays the ones that don't contain deet. I only spray where I need them so when I come in I can rinse off my arms and use the towel to wipe down my neck/face vs. taking a shower.

So far I haven't had to pull out the chemicals.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/25/2011, 6:25 pm

Skip a couple of showers. EVERYTHING will stay away from you. Wink

There is some validity to that joke. Insects can be attracted to colognes and deoderants.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 5/25/2011, 6:27 pm

Eat lot's of garlic? or maybe that is just for vampires. why am I so tasty? 601593
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 5/25/2011, 7:18 pm

Avon Skin So Soft Original Bath Oil
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/25/2011, 7:22 pm

I make a homemade spray out of vodka, water, and essential oils. Citronella/orange oil combo, lavender oil, and tea tree oil all repel mosquitoes. I make the Citronella/orange one for hubby so he doesn't smell like flowers! Lavender and tea tree mixed is a nice smell as well, but either one can be used alone. Non-toxic and very effective!

TC
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 5/25/2011, 7:39 pm

Are any of you mosquito attractors blood type O+?? I've been doing an informal survey down here in Florida and it seems the majority of people I meet that are "mosquito magnets" are Type O+ and/or Diabetic. I am both, but even when I was young and not diabetic I would be the only one in a crowd that got bitten. My daughter jokes that I'm the best repellent around, just stand next to me and you are safe ! I've been told that spraying Listerine mouthwash in the air around you will repel them for a bit. I resorted to using Sentry brand Natural Defense Flea and Tick spray on me the other day. It's what I use on my dog, its a blend of natural oils. It actually works pretty well and smells really nice too. I washed off when I came in but I didn't see any ingredient that would be a problem.
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 5/25/2011, 7:41 pm

Goosegirl, that sounds like a recipe I'm going to have to try !! why am I so tasty? 61949
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M 5/25/2011, 7:45 pm

I'm O+, and a favorite mosquito buffet.
Miss M

http://sithrahfarm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/25/2011, 8:27 pm

sceleste54 wrote:Goosegirl, that sounds like a recipe I'm going to have to try !! why am I so tasty? 61949

The basic recipe is in a book called "Oils, Lotions, & Other Luxuries" by Kelly Reno. It is the recipe called Outdoorsman Bug-Off Spray. I substitute plain water and a few drops of orange oil for the orange flower water, since it is hard to come by in my area.

The other oils I mentioned I found are bug repellents by doing other research. I have to make many of my own cosmetics/toiletries because of allergies. Kelly Reno's book was the first one I bought and still one of my favorites!

TC
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down