Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Harvested garlic scapes today - Page 2 Toplef10Harvested garlic scapes today - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Harvested garlic scapes today - Page 2 I22gcj10Harvested garlic scapes today - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Harvested garlic scapes today - Page 2 Toplef10Harvested garlic scapes today - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Harvested garlic scapes today - Page 2 I22gcj10Harvested garlic scapes today - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Harvested garlic scapes today

+12
GWN
Icemaiden
Nonna.PapaVino
kiwirose
middlemamma
dizzygardener
Aub
Lavender Debs
pattipan
bullfrogbabe
camprn
itsablondething
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Harvested garlic scapes today - Page 2 Empty Re: Harvested garlic scapes today

Post  llama momma 6/22/2012, 3:53 pm

Oh boy! Thank you so much! I'm excited for the first garlic. Thank you again for your help. LM
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/30/2012, 7:52 pm

cheers we have scapes!!!cheers .....just found them a couple days ago....

this is the first time to grow garlic with real scapes.....we do have one volunteer garlic from last year that sent up a flower......and we wernt sure if that was a scape or not....it still has its flower...

some of our other garlic in our SFG has scapes.....long curly ones....they are so cute!!

i read thru this thread....havent been to any of the links yet....but im still confused on what to do.....what happens if you leave the scapes on the plant?....if they have to be cut off how far down do we cut them.....do you eat only the top part that looks like a dragons tail tongue

hugs

rose who is off to read the links Wink
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/30/2012, 7:58 pm

LM, it is advisable to not pull the garlic out, but lift it from underneath with a fork, to loosen the roots before pulling the bulb up.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Harvested garlic scapes today - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 6/30/2012, 8:17 pm

Thanks for thread guys & gals , proir to this year I have never had garlic that produced " scrapes " .

I wonder if letting one go further will produce tiny bulblets which can be used for starting new garlic ?

I have only used supermarket garlic's this year .. Chinese , Spanish French and elephant garlic where I can't remember it came from ( senile old fella that I am Laughing )

About 50% has the scrapes on it , so tomorrow I'll cut the biggest scrapes and see what thay turn out like when we eat then with our smoked haddock kedgerie and sugar snap peas as they have just started to uncurl and get a starting to firm up stem.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/1/2012, 10:45 am

We cut our scapes before they have straightened out, but after the pocket where the bubils are forming has started to swell. Bear in mind, there are many, many different varieties of hardneck garlic, your type may have a different scape dynamic. The long, pointed tip protecting the developing bubils can be tough and grassy past the bubils, so I cut it off before cooking the scapes. Just feel along the sheath above the bubils to ascertain where it becomes fibrous--usually about 1/2 to 1 inch above the bubil pocket. How long you cut the scapes, again, depends on variety and age. The older the scape, i.e., larger bubils, the shorter I cut them because as they uncurl, obviously they are getting tougher. The pizza we had last night had 6-7" scapes arranged on it with the bottoms in the center, the lightly curled scapes fanned out toward the edge like petals--pretty. (I'd steamed the scapes about 3 minutes to assure they would cook adequately on the pizza.)

I recently read that you should leave one or two garlic scapes to grow straight and set viable bubils to indicate the plants' maturity and readiness for digging. I'm testing this theory to see (a) if the bulb is really that much smaller, and (b) if it is an accurate indicator of maturity. Would like to trade results on this theory with others willing to try it. And yes, the mature bubils can be planted for a new crop....you just have to wait a year or two for them to grow to a marketable size. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/1/2012, 11:05 am

Oh, forgot with above post, but read in newspaper the other day about a delicious way to serve scapes....with your barbeque! Take trimmed scapes and toss with a bit of extra virgin olive oil, then lightly salt with coarse sea salt (used a smoked sea salt). Lay scapes on the grill around your burgers, steak, whatever. After they've developed a bit of char marks on one side, turn them and cook a bit longer, to crisp-tender. Remove to a nearby plate and eat as an appetizer while you finish cooking the meat, other veggies, etc. Harvested garlic scapes today - Page 2 71441
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  TheGinPalace 7/1/2012, 5:11 pm

This is the first year I've grown garlic so I'm completely unfamiliar with when to harvest. I found this link yesterday regarding the scapes as I had noticed them and wondered if that meant it was time.

Anyway, having read the thread, followed the links and gaining some knowledge, I snipped mine this morning and made the pesto on the maryjane page. I have to say...it's powerful...and it's divine...

I plan on eating it tonight with some lightly toasted bread I made today accompanied by a nice glass of red...bliss!

Harvested garlic scapes today - Page 2 Garlic14
TheGinPalace
TheGinPalace

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/1/2012, 5:27 pm

TheGinPalace wrote:This is the first year I've grown garlic so I'm completely unfamiliar with when to harvest. I found this link yesterday regarding the scapes as I had noticed them and wondered if that meant it was time.

Anyway, having read the thread, followed the links and gaining some knowledge, I snipped mine this morning and made the pesto on the maryjane page. I have to say...it's powerful...and it's divine...

I plan on eating it tonight with some lightly toasted bread I made today accompanied by a nice glass of red...bliss!

Harvested garlic scapes today - Page 2 Garlic14

drooling
glad you\'re here to the SFG Forum!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Harvested garlic scapes today - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: