Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Another Nashville Newbie to SFG Toplef10Another Nashville Newbie to SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Another Nashville Newbie to SFG I22gcj10Another Nashville Newbie to SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Another Nashville Newbie to SFG Toplef10Another Nashville Newbie to SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Another Nashville Newbie to SFG I22gcj10Another Nashville Newbie to SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Another Nashville Newbie to SFG

4 posters

Go down

Another Nashville Newbie to SFG Empty Another Nashville Newbie to SFG

Post  ncoker03 5/21/2011, 12:18 am

Hello everyone! My name is Nate, and I am excited to get into this forum. It is a pleasure to find a website dedicated to sharing information about SFGs.
I moved to the Nashville area a year ago and have really focused on reducing my dependency on commercial goods (within reason), so I decided to start a SFG to see if I can produce the same results as I have read about. I built four 4x4 ft boxes and planted several vegitables to give it a test run. I was able to find all of the needed materials to make Mel's mix so I am hoping the garden does well.
I am currently researching irrigation techniques to see what the best method is. I built a multi-container rain catch system (200 gal) with a 1 hp pump to hopefully catch and store enough water for the growing season. I just need to figure out the best way to create some sort of irrigation system so I can get just the right amount of water to the boxes without going too heavy with it. If anyone has a great idea, let me know... I am more than willing to give it a shot.
I look forward to reading through everyone's posts, and I hope to learn as much as possible. Wish me luck.
ncoker03

Back to top Go down

Another Nashville Newbie to SFG Empty Re: Another Nashville Newbie to SFG

Post  Jandasdad 5/21/2011, 10:10 am

Welcome, Nate!

I'm new to this myself, and my biggest concern starting my own garden was the irrigation. I solved this problem with a battery-operated timer and a few drip-watering kits. You can find these through the SFG store, and from Lowes and other places.

The kits are basically a 50' hose you cut to different lengths, with attachments like sprayers and drippers that you add wherevery you want. I was able to do six 4'x4' beds with one 100' drip-tube kit, with a couple of drip sections and some tubing left over that I used for other plants.

The kind I used has drippers every 12" which seems to be working fine (one dripper per square foot area). However, the SFG store has another kind with drippers spaced closer together. It may be better, and I'm finding that everything I read in the SFG book and here in the forum is time-tested and works even for me.

It's been raining like crazy here in Indiana. If it weren't for Mel's Mix's draining ability and perhaps that my beds are on a slope, I'd probably have drowned my garden by now. As it is, Mel's Mix has provided a cushion against my plant-killing-through-ignorance tendencies.

You're going to do great!

-- Jandasdad
Jandasdad

Male Posts : 6

http://Giggil.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/21/2011, 12:26 pm

Another Nashville Newbie to SFG 654548 Nate Another Nashville Newbie to SFG 654548

Very glad to have you join us. This is a great group of people who enjoy sharing their experiences in SFG.

My experience with watering methods has been limited to soaker hoses attached to my outside water faucet, wound back and forth between the squares and it was very successful.

Hope others have some good suggestions for you using your rain barrels.

Again, Welcome and please keep us updated on your progress. As I am sure you have read, we I love you pictures.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Another Nashville Newbie to SFG Empty Another Nashville Newbie to SFG

Post  sherryeo 5/21/2011, 4:21 pm

Another Nashville Newbie to SFG 396615 Nate, You're going to love the forum. So many folks who are eager to help those new to sfgs!!! There are some very knowledgeable people on here and some who are also pretty funny. So I hope you don't mind a little humor mixed in with your gardening advice sometimes! Everyone is always so kind to try to help with any questions.

You're also going to love sfgs. Such an improvement over the old "row" method! Post any questions/problems/concerns and watch the forum members come to your aid. Post pics when you can - that always goes over big - it's just such a pleasure to see what others are doing with their sfgs.

Some of the others will be more knowledgeable about the irrigation question and no doubt will post answers, but I just wanted to welcome you!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down