Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hot Weather Beans and Peas ... Toplef10Hot Weather Beans and Peas ... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hot Weather Beans and Peas ... I22gcj10Hot Weather Beans and Peas ... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hot Weather Beans and Peas ... Toplef10Hot Weather Beans and Peas ... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hot Weather Beans and Peas ... I22gcj10Hot Weather Beans and Peas ... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hot Weather Beans and Peas ...

+4
buttaflie143
elliephant
Furbalsmom
vja4Him
8 posters

Go down

Hot Weather Beans and Peas ... Empty Hot Weather Beans and Peas ...

Post  vja4Him 5/17/2011, 10:57 pm

What would be a good choice of hot-weather beans and peas to grow around the Modesto, California area, Growing Zone #14/eight?
vja4Him

Male Posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Hot Weather Beans and Peas ... Empty Re: Hot Weather Beans and Peas ...

Post  Furbalsmom 5/18/2011, 1:52 am

Hot Weather Beans and Peas ... 654548 vja4Him, nice to have a new member in CA.

I don't know of any hot weather peas, unless you are considering black eyed peas. Check this link CowPeas

Most beans do well in warm, hot weather. I am in a cooler region, but I will be growing various pole beans and bush beans, once our soil temperature gets up a bit.

Hope your garden does well.

Again, Welcome!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 5/18/2011, 10:47 am

Peas are generally considered a cool weather crop, but I will go ahead and give you the results of my "Spring" plantings this year. I'm way down in deep south Texas and we started hitting the 90s in Feb this year, so my peas experienced much warmer weather than I would have preferred.

Golden Sweet did not like the heat at all and hardly produced at all.
Sugar Ann (Dwarf) was great in that it produced quickly and got out of the way before the temps got too terribly bad. This is a snap pea.
Oregon Giant (Dwarf) really surprised me. It didn't start producing until Sugar Ann was just about done and I really thought it wasn't going to do anything because the Golden Sweet was flowering by then and not giving me much at all (and what peas did form were not high quality). But it didn't seem to suffer at all in the heat and it was inthe 90s quite consistantly the whole time it was producing. This is a snow pea and the pods really were "giant." I'll definitely be growing this one again.

What kind of weather will you be having the next couple of months?
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 5/18/2011, 11:22 am

Wando Green Peas are a heat-resistant variety of garden peas. I haven't grown them before, but I have some in the garden now. They were recommended to me by a local lady NC gardener who owns the hardware store where I get my seeds. She says they do well in warm/hot weather. We'll see.
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Post  vja4Him 5/18/2011, 6:55 pm

elliephant wrote:Peas are generally considered a cool weather crop, but I will go ahead and give you the results of my "Spring" plantings this year. I'm way down in deep south Texas and we started hitting the 90s in Feb this year, so my peas experienced much warmer weather than I would have preferred.

Golden Sweet did not like the heat at all and hardly produced at all.
Sugar Ann (Dwarf) was great in that it produced quickly and got out of the way before the temps got too terribly bad. This is a snap pea.
Oregon Giant (Dwarf) really surprised me. It didn't start producing until Sugar Ann was just about done and I really thought it wasn't going to do anything because the Golden Sweet was flowering by then and not giving me much at all (and what peas did form were not high quality). But it didn't seem to suffer at all in the heat and it was inthe 90s quite consistantly the whole time it was producing. This is a snow pea and the pods really were "giant." I'll definitely be growing this one again.

What kind of weather will you be having the next couple of months?

This year the weather has been a little different than last year. We've had some days in the high 90s in April. Even some very warm days in February and March. The past three or four days have been raining pretty good, some nights in the high 40s, with daytime temperature in the 60s to 70s.

Normally June is when we really start getting our very warm weather, many days in the high 80s and some days in the 90s. By July most days are in the mid-to-high 90s and even triple digit! July and August are the hottest months, with many days in the triple digits. September is also very hot, with most days in the 90s and 100s.

Tomatoes grow all the way until the first freeze, which is usually pretty close to Thanksgiving every year. I planted Peas last year in November and December. My November crop was still producing until several weeks ago. The December crop is still producing a few stragglers (much smaller, but still good to eat!).

I have a couple more later crops of Peas, one which has many flowers and should be producing lots of delicious Peas very soon! The other Peas just starting coming up a few days ago, but most of the seeds did not make it (maybe too cold at night, too much rain, or the seeds got dried out with the extreme heat we had several weeks ago).

Also been having serious problems with the gophers .... I don't know if they would be stealing the Pea and Bean seedlings, but the bugs sure have done lots of damage that I can see to the Beans and Potatoes.

I'd still like to take a risk at planting more Peas and Beans. Seeds are pretty cheap and I already have plots for planting ready ....

vja4Him

Back to top Go down

Post  vja4Him 5/18/2011, 6:59 pm

buttaflie143 wrote:Wando Green Peas are a heat-resistant variety of garden peas. I haven't grown them before, but I have some in the garden now. They were recommended to me by a local lady NC gardener who owns the hardware store where I get my seeds. She says they do well in warm/hot weather. We'll see.

Thanks! I definitely want to try the Wando Green Peas. Where is a good place to order seeds online ... ???
vja4Him

Back to top Go down

Hot Weather Beans and Peas ... Empty Hot Weather Beans and Peas

Post  Cynlady 6/19/2011, 12:14 pm

The subject of conversation in this forum/blog seems to be about peas. What about Beans? I'm living in Bella Vista, CA ( apprx. 23 miles east of Redding) which our winter didn't end until May 1st. I immediatly planted beans, corn and potatoes seeds in a raised bed which seems to be doing well considering all the rain we had. My concern is the beans have turned to a lite green. When they first came up they were a beautiful deep green so I'm wondering what has caused the change in color? Hot Weather Beans and Peas ... 601593 I planted a second batch of beans 3 weeks later and they are the deep green as the others were at first. I've never grown beans (pole beans) before and if someone could please give me some advise/guidence as to what ferilizer they may need, I would really appreciate it? The medium, in which I'm growing the beans, potatoes and corn, is an organic compost with 10% pumice and added organic "outside potting" soil from Kelloggs which has worm castings and bat guano.Hot Weather Beans and Peas ... 109486
Cynlady

Female Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  vja4Him 6/19/2011, 6:14 pm

This is my first year ever planting Beans! I've planted many kinds so far, and the leaves are different colors and different shapes. Most of my Beans have been destroyed by something that is eating the new seedlings, killing them, but I do have several patches that are coming along very nicely!

I'm hoping that I will be able to grow lots of Scarlet Emperor and Yard-Long Beans, if I can ever get past the buggers that are chewing up the leaves and seedlings ...

Will plant Romano and another runner Bean pretty soon .....
vja4Him

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 6/20/2011, 2:27 am

Hot Weather Beans and Peas ... 396615 Hot Weather Beans and Peas ... 396615 Hot Weather Beans and Peas ... 396615 Edamame is a bean that loves the heat. I got 100% germination at over 80 degrees and 99% at over 90.
Sorry, this is kinda long.
The most common cause for pale leaves is the lack of nitrogen.
Legumes fix nitrogen from the air with the help of symbiotic nitrogen-fixing bacteria. Different beans, peas,peanuts, clover, lentals, and such use different bacteria. When growing untreated seeds where you have not grown that crop before it is, IMO, a good idea to use a soil inculent. Some are sold that are a combination and will say on the pack which plants they are for. So be sure to read it before you buy. It was like pulling teeth to get one that treated soy beans. Even the ones that said they were for beans and peas did not include soy beans.
Mel's Mix when made acourding to the instructions in the book should have plenty, but remember legums fix it from the air. They start out nice and green because they are useing the nutrients stored in the "Seed Leaves", the funny looking ears they have when they first sprout. After they use that up there is a lag time before they develop the nodules on the roots that fix it N from the air. I think of it as the gawky teen age stage but if you have inoculated them or they are pretreated seeds they will soon grow out of this stage and become nice and green again.
Alas, you say you didn't know this before you planted. Fear not just get some scratch it into the top of soil around your plants and water it in. Remember too there are people who do not do this at all, and some get good results any way. After you have done it once you need not do it again to the same MM. Only inuculate if it is the first time you are growing in that square.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynlady 6/20/2011, 4:38 pm

Hi Sannon1,

I want to thank you for the reply. The info you gave me really explains why the one set of beans are a lighter color than the other. I forgot to inoculant the beans the first time around; however I did on the follow up batch that was done 3 weeks later and my guess is that's why they are greener Embarassed. I will apply the inoculant to the batch I didn't do in the first around. Since they are already growing, I'll sprinkle and mix it in the soil around the plant. Maybe they will become a darker green and I do have a fertilizer (FoxFarm/5-4-4) "Grow Big" with a big fat tomato on the label which I will use on the beans the next time I fertilize them. It has a higher content of Nitrogen than the other fertilizers I've been using which are also from the manufacturer of FoxFarm. FoxFarm is a new product to me and was recommended by the locals. Do you know anything about potatoes?
Cynlady

Back to top Go down

Hot Weather Beans and Peas ... Empty Hot weather beans and peas

Post  Cynlady 6/20/2011, 6:01 pm

vja4Him wrote:This is my first year ever planting Beans! I've planted many kinds so far, and the leaves are different colors and different shapes. Most of my Beans have been destroyed by something that is eating the new seedlings, killing them, but I do have several patches that are coming along very nicely!

I'm hoping that I will be able to grow lots of Scarlet Emperor and Yard-Long Beans, if I can ever get past the buggers that are chewing up the leaves and seedlings ...

To: VJA4HIM

The "something that is eating the new seedlings", check and see if you have "pill bugs" or "sow bugs". Also look for Slugs and Snails. They love moisture and with all the rain we've had brought the slugs and pill bugs out in my garden. I had the same problem and re-seeded some of the beans, but I was able to control the situation before they did any further damage. Since the hot weather hit, I"m not seeing them anymore. It was recommended to me by a "master gardener" to apply " Sluggo Plus" which is an all organic product. It's a new product on the market and most places don't know about it. They only know about "Sluggo. I have looked around at the local garden shops (Home Depot, Lowes, True Value) and they only carry the "Sluggo" not Sluggo Plus (both made by the same manufacturer and both organic) The "Plus" controls all other insects/pests in addition to the snails and slugs. It sounds ideal only having to use one product for everything. I see it selling on the internet, but the stuff isn't cheap. If someone is having a sale on it, then they charge up the wazoo for shipping. There are some stores that are NOT charging for shipping, but obviously making up for the loss by raising the price of the product. Also check for white flies. I'm using "Organocide". It's an Insecticide and Fungicide for organic production. It kills aphids, whiteflies, powdery mildew and blackspot along with a whole group of other insects and diseases. I had my doubts at first, but the stuff seems to be working. Since I was unable to locate the Sluggo Plus, I've been using the "Organocide" as the replacement and it's available at Home Depot. It has to be done faithfully once a week, but I noticed that 7 days may be to long of a stretch to wait from one application to another. So I'm thinking of using it every 5 days. It comes in a 2 Quart (64 fl ounces) white plastic container. It's ready to use, No mixing. Besure you get the sprayer with it. One last thing, when using this product, stand up-wind. It's main ingredient is Sesame Oil, but it also has Fish Oil and I made the mistake of not paying attention which way the wind was blowing. I had a faint fishy smell on me all day. With the fish oil in it, it also is a leaf foliar fertilizer. They suggest to test it on a leaf first, but I took a chance and used it without testing it. There are some plants sensitive to it, but so far I haven't had any repercussions using the product. Good Luck! Smile

PS: Solve your gopher problem with raised garden beds. Be sure to attach to the underside of the beds with no larger than half inch square wire mesh.
Cynlady

Back to top Go down

Post  vja4Him 6/20/2011, 8:35 pm

Cynlady wrote:
vja4Him wrote:This is my first year ever planting Beans! I've planted many kinds so far, and the leaves are different colors and different shapes. Most of my Beans have been destroyed by something that is eating the new seedlings, killing them, but I do have several patches that are coming along very nicely!

The "something that is eating the new seedlings", check and see if you have "pill bugs" or "sow bugs". Also look for Slugs and Snails. They love moisture and with all the rain we've had brought the slugs and pill bugs out in my garden. I had the same problem and re-seeded some of the beans, but I was able to control the situation before they did any further damage. Since the hot weather hit, I"m not seeing them anymore. It was recommended to me by a "master gardener" to apply " Sluggo Plus" which is an all organic product. It's a new product on the market and most places don't know about it. They only know about "Sluggo. I have looked around at the local garden shops (Home Depot, Lowes, True Value) and they only carry the "Sluggo" not Sluggo Plus (both made by the same manufacturer and both organic) The "Plus" controls all other insects/pests in addition to the snails and slugs. It sounds ideal only having to use one product for everything. I see it selling on the internet, but the stuff isn't cheap. If someone is having a sale on it, then they charge up the wazoo for shipping. There are some stores that are NOT charging for shipping, but obviously making up for the loss by raising the price of the product. Also check for white flies. I'm using "Organocide". It's an Insecticide and Fungicide for organic production. It kills aphids, whiteflies, powdery mildew and blackspot along with a whole group of other insects and diseases. I had my doubts at first, but the stuff seems to be working. Since I was unable to locate the Sluggo Plus, I've been using the "Organocide" as the replacement and it's available at Home Depot. It has to be done faithfully once a week, but I noticed that 7 days may be to long of a stretch to wait from one application to another. So I'm thinking of using it every 5 days. It comes in a 2 Quart (64 fl ounces) white plastic container. It's ready to use, No mixing. Besure you get the sprayer with it. One last thing, when using this product, stand up-wind. It's main ingredient is Sesame Oil, but it also has Fish Oil and I made the mistake of not paying attention which way the wind was blowing. I had a faint fishy smell on me all day. With the fish oil in it, it also is a leaf foliar fertilizer. They suggest to test it on a leaf first, but I took a chance and used it without testing it. There are some plants sensitive to it, but so far I haven't had any repercussions using the product. Good Luck! Smile

PS: Solve your gopher problem with raised garden beds. Be sure to attach to the underside of the beds with no larger than half inch square wire mesh.

Thanks for the tips! I'll have to wait until I harvest, before putting wire mesh under the raised beds. I also need to get many more truck loads of something to build up the raised beds. I just had two yards of Black Humus delivered, for $98.00. Can't afford anymore until probably the fall or maybe winter, which will be too late, because I'll be starting my fall planting in late August, and plant something every week or two .......

Has anyone used those gopher sound devices ... ???
vja4Him

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 6/20/2011, 8:47 pm

My friend tried the devices that have windmills on them and they worked pretty well, although they would have worked better if she's had them in a clear area that got more of a breeze.

This year I put a spoonful of crushed eggshells around each seed that I planted to deter slugs, since I've lost way too many seedlings to the little buggers. It's worked well so far. Smile
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Hot Weather Beans and Peas ... Empty Gopher Sound Devices

Post  Cynlady 6/20/2011, 11:19 pm

vja4Him wrote:
Cynlady wrote:

Thanks for the tips! I'll have to wait until I harvest, before putting wire mesh under the raised beds. I also need to get many more truck loads of something to build up the raised beds. I just had two yards of Black Humus delivered, for $98.00. Can't afford anymore until probably the fall or maybe winter, which will be too late, because I'll be starting my fall planting in late August, and plant something every week or two .......

Has anyone used those gopher sound devices ... ???

I have the "gopher sound devices" right now in each raised bed I'm using even though I have the wire mesh. Call me paranoid or a neurotic or whatever disorder it maybe, I shelled out the money to buy them. I think you can buy them as low as $7.00 each at either Home Depot or Lowes. I have 4 raised beds filled. 3 with thriving vegetables and 1 with strawberries which I'm disappointed in the strawberries poor quality. My raised beds are made out of the lowest grade of cedar planks (2" x 12" x 8'). They are stack 2 high to make it 2ft tall so I don't have to bend over so far. I have 2 more raised beds to fill, and it's not an easy task. Very heavy work. My husband has been helping me fill them with soil, but with the heat right now, we are at a stand still on that project. I want to be able to plant watermelon, squash and pumpkin and I need at least one of the 2 raised beds filled in order to do that.

Try the gopher sound devices, at least one to see if they really work. I had them years ago and I don't know if the quality has improved. They must be doing what they are suppose to do because people are buying and they have been around for a while now. Sometimes they worked and it may have been ground squirrels, who are totally ambivalent to the noise, a very distructive animal. It seems, where I'm living, we do not have ground squirrels so far. We don't have that many tree squirrels either, but we do have gophers. There are a lot of hawks, vultures, and motor vehicles help keep the population under control where I live.

Once again, good luck!
Cynlady

Back to top Go down

Post  PNG_Grandma 6/21/2011, 12:31 pm

Hi, we tried the gopher sound device...it actually seemed to attract the darned little guys! They popped their heads up inches away from the thing and looked at us...almost thumbing their noses at us!! Maybe they're deaf???! Rolling Eyes

Take a look at this thread that I posted last week about the gophers in my daughter's and grandsons' garden...so far the mesh is working on the bottom of the raised beds that we built...hopefully the gophers moved on out of her yard!
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t7936-gophers-grrrrrrr

Good Luck!
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Female Posts : 297
Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum