Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Excited to learn a lot this year! Toplef10Excited to learn a lot this year! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Excited to learn a lot this year! I22gcj10Excited to learn a lot this year! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Excited to learn a lot this year! Toplef10Excited to learn a lot this year! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Excited to learn a lot this year! I22gcj10Excited to learn a lot this year! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Excited to learn a lot this year!

5 posters

Go down

Excited to learn a lot this year! Empty Excited to learn a lot this year!

Post  msinclair 5/14/2011, 1:58 pm

We moved into this house a little over a year ago. The first year we concentrated on getting the indoors all together. This spring I've worked on getting the yard all together. Mostly, I planted flowers in the flower bed, but behind the house I planted tomatoes and herbs in containers. I just learned about SFG and that got me pretty excited!

I don't think I can do it this year, but would like to do it next year, but I want to do it RIGHT - not by trial and error and part of that is planning my space! How do you know how much to plant?

We are a family of five (3 generations) and we eat a lot of vegetables and fruit. When I make a salad, it's 2 store size heads of lettuce (I say store size, because it's one farmer's market size head). For dinner, I'll cut up 12 zucchini. When we eat tomatoes - it will be 3-4 sliced up and we eat veggies at lunch and dinner. Normally, when I go to the store or farmer's market, I will buy 2-3 pounds of 5-6 different vegetables.

Now, I'm not expecting I'll be able to grow everything we need, but it would be nice to grow a significant amount. Am I looking at one 4x4 box? or several? I don't have the book yet, but plan on getting it ASAP. I'm quite stoked actually!
msinclair

Back to top Go down

Excited to learn a lot this year! Empty Re: Excited to learn a lot this year!

Post  Tril 5/14/2011, 4:24 pm

I read this...

1 4X4 per adult for daily salad veggies
1 4X4 per adult for daily cooking veggies
1 4X4 per adult for canning/preserving veggies

The most DH and I would ever need, based on this, is six 4X4 SFGs.
Tril
Tril

Female Posts : 198

Back to top Go down

Post  Bristow 5/14/2011, 4:33 pm

Tril wrote:I read this...

Thank you so much, Tril!

Although I hadn't asked yet, that was one of the question that had been plaguing me. And 6 boxes are what we had in mind. This forum is wonderful!

Dee
Bristow
Bristow

Male Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/14/2011, 4:53 pm

Tril wrote:I read this...

In my dreams! I know that's what the book says. I'm probably double Mel's size, but even doubling his numbers isn't enough. We've been SFGing for 5 years; each year our focus evolves a little more. Besides summer fresh veggies, I try to grow enough corn, carrots, beets, potatoes, and winter squash to last through winter. For my wife and I, we currently have about 250sf for cool crops, 300+sf for warm crops, 200sf just for corn.

It's your interests and priorities that will determine the size of your garden. I would love to put up more warm season crops, but I just don't have the hot weather every summer to make it worthwhile.

Let your gardening evolve. The reasons you choose to garden a second year will be different than the reasons you started gardening your first year.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Bristow 5/14/2011, 5:16 pm

In my dreams! I know that's what the book says. I'm probably double Mel's size, but even doubling his numbers isn't enough. We've been SFGing for 5 years; each year our focus evolves a little more. Besides summer fresh veggies, I try to grow enough corn, carrots, beets, potatoes, and winter squash to last through winter. For my wife and I, we currently have about 250sf for cool crops, 300+sf for warm crops, 200sf just for corn.

It's your interests and priorities that will determine the size of your garden. I would love to put up more warm season crops, but I just don't have the hot weather every summer to make it worthwhile.

Let your gardening evolve. The reasons you choose to garden a second year will be different than the reasons you started gardening your first year. [/quote]

Oh I agree! I am planting a lot of vegetables but I'm planning on more boxes for more flowers and herbs, hopefully in the fall or next spring. 6 boxes barely "do" for now but it's definitely not enough for what I envision. I just hope my muscles have the same vision and enthusiasm. Excited to learn a lot this year! 418730

Dee
Bristow
Bristow

Male Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  Tril 5/14/2011, 5:38 pm

I have no interest in growing corn, carrots, beets or winter squash. The local corn is so good that I'll use that and freeze some if I feel like it at the time. Frozen corn from the store is cheap and delicious so I'm not going to use precious footage on corn! We don't eat a lot of carrots, just the fresh baby ones. Beets? I'm the only one who will eat them. I don't remember the last time I had one. Squash is available in the stores year round... for the couple of times a year we eat it. So, really, how many you need depends on YOUR needs and goals.

I'm more interested in supplementing what I buy at the store or farmer's markets than I am in growing everything we need. It's fun and it seems to taste better if you grow it yourself. LOL So right now my plans include just four 4X4 gardens (eventually... not this year). Since I want to dedicate one to JUST herbs, I might end up with six gardens. Four for fresh veggies, one for herbs and one for cutting flowers. Now THAT would make me happy!

Besides... I need my freezer for Bambi and Bullwinkle. Wink And I need my canning jars for jams and jellies!
Tril
Tril

Back to top Go down

Post  msinclair 5/14/2011, 6:07 pm

Tril wrote:I have no interest in growing corn, carrots, beets or winter squash. The local corn is so good that I'll use that and freeze some if I feel like it at the time. Frozen corn from the store is cheap and delicious so I'm not going to use precious footage on corn! We don't eat a lot of carrots, just the fresh baby ones. Beets? I'm the only one who will eat them. I don't remember the last time I had one. Squash is available in the stores year round... for the couple of times a year we eat it. So, really, how many you need depends on YOUR needs and goals.

I'm more interested in supplementing what I buy at the store or farmer's markets than I am in growing everything we need. It's fun and it seems to taste better if you grow it yourself. LOL

Ah, this is a lot of my reasoning too. NO way would I grow corn when I can get it plentifully, deliciously and cheap locally. I know tomatoes are a must, but I wonder about beans? or salad greens? green peppers? Swiss Chard? Brussell sprouts and so on. These things are expensive in the stores (and often times doesn't taste fresh). I think I'll start with four and supplement with the containers I already got for herbs and tomatoes. I need to watch my sun too. I know I have room two with full sun and probably for 2 more, but not for more than that I'm afraid. My yard is very mature and so are all my neighbors which means lots of shade.

I can't wait to start planning it all out. Though, leveling the area is going to STINK! of course, I don't have a flat yard!
msinclair

Back to top Go down

Post  Tril 5/14/2011, 8:59 pm

We live on a hill, too... the only flat, open, sunny place I have is on the leach field. I'm thinking that's okay... it's warmer than anywhere else. The snow melts there first. LOL
Tril
Tril

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/15/2011, 3:04 am

Excited to learn a lot this year! 396615 Excited to learn a lot this year! 396615 Excited to learn a lot this year! 396615 M,
I am excited for you. Have you gotten Mels book yet? So full of great advise. I am the only one eating out of my garden. I have both a SFG and containers. I cant wait to build more TT's and get rid of most of my containers they take so much more effot to keep up with Excited to learn a lot this year! 43549
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum