Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Friday's Rookie Topic V- Southern Peas (aka Cowpeas or Field Peas) - Page 3 Toplef10Friday's Rookie Topic V- Southern Peas (aka Cowpeas or Field Peas) - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Friday's Rookie Topic V- Southern Peas (aka Cowpeas or Field Peas) - Page 3 I22gcj10Friday's Rookie Topic V- Southern Peas (aka Cowpeas or Field Peas) - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Friday's Rookie Topic V- Southern Peas (aka Cowpeas or Field Peas) - Page 3 Toplef10Friday's Rookie Topic V- Southern Peas (aka Cowpeas or Field Peas) - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Friday's Rookie Topic V- Southern Peas (aka Cowpeas or Field Peas) - Page 3 I22gcj10Friday's Rookie Topic V- Southern Peas (aka Cowpeas or Field Peas) - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Friday's Rookie Topic V- Southern Peas (aka Cowpeas or Field Peas)

+8
Miss M
middlemamma
BackyardBirdGardner
walshevak
camprn
oxmyx1
WardinWake
FarmerValerie
12 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Friday's Rookie Topic V- Southern Peas (aka Cowpeas or Field Peas) - Page 3 Empty Friday's Rookie Topic V- Southern Peas (aka Cowpeas or Field Peas)

Post  sherryeo 6/20/2011, 10:47 am

Hi Kay! I felt sure others added some of the snapped peas to the pot, also! I know we always have around south Mississippi.

And, yea, snap beans with new potatoes, yummmy! I want to try some potatoes for that and many other dishes!

I don't think I'm going to be able to take FV up on her bet about taking a bushel of peas to Cracker Barrel and having others wanting to help shell any time soon, though. I only have a few squares of southern peas and it appears that I'll probably be harvesting them by the single handful here and there every day or so. I don't think I'm going to get a bushel's worth off them all at once so that I could take them to Cracker Barrel! But that's ok - I just hope to get enough to serve a potful or two!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Friday's Rookie Topic V- Southern Peas (aka Cowpeas or Field Peas) - Page 3 Empty Re: Friday's Rookie Topic V- Southern Peas (aka Cowpeas or Field Peas)

Post  FarmerValerie 6/20/2011, 11:22 am

And now we know one of the reasons they are also called "Field Peas", tossing the last few handuls of each type of pea and the last handful of beans from the garden in one pot, and deciding they all belonged together!!!! The other reasons are (1) when they were first grown here, they were mostly for livestock and at times plowed under as a cover crop, and (2) just scattered out there to grow as they choose as some older poeple today still do, at least that's what I'm told.

Next time I head on over to Cracker Barrel, I'm taking a handful of peas in case there is a wait, I bet it will be a conversation starter if nothing else!
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Friday's Rookie Topic V- Southern Peas (aka Cowpeas or Field Peas) - Page 3 Empty Re: Friday's Rookie Topic V- Southern Peas (aka Cowpeas or Field Peas)

Post  miinva 6/20/2011, 8:26 pm

What a great article! I look forward to hearing how your pretzel, holstein, and calico peas do Smile

FarmerValerie wrote:We down here eat them like peas, call them peas, and will forever call them peas, and when you search for them that's where they are, with the peas. Does it really matter?

Actually it matters a little because the first year I gardened I planted my Southern Peas the same time as my other peas, which is exactly the wrong time to plant them. Smile

Someone mentioned only having a couple of squares planted... I got two whole containers of peas from just four squares of plants, so you never know, you may get plenty! Very Happy
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 6/20/2011, 8:38 pm

I should have read the whole thread before posting Smile

I planted three kinds, pink eye purple hull, calico crowder, and peking, and they all vined like crazy, crawling across to the next bed over after reaching the top of their trellis! I wonder if they're limited by water, because I watered more carefully last year and they exploded, whereas the year before they weren't quite as productive. Either way, I get a TON of peas/beans and I love them! There's nothing prettier than a bowl of mixed types of cowpeas love the idea
miinva

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 6/21/2011, 8:29 am

The box that I have my black-eyed peas in has a trelis on the north side, there is a row of squares between the peas and trelis, those buggers found the trelis and are climbingit naturally, good thing it was there too, they would be in the isles and in the boxes on each side of them too.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 7/20/2011, 2:54 pm

Okie dokie, I've got some "new" peas producing so I thought I would share.

Either Holstein, Calico, or Blue Coco, not sure.
Friday's Rookie Topic V- Southern Peas (aka Cowpeas or Field Peas) - Page 3 03410

Calico
Friday's Rookie Topic V- Southern Peas (aka Cowpeas or Field Peas) - Page 3 05810

Holstein
Friday's Rookie Topic V- Southern Peas (aka Cowpeas or Field Peas) - Page 3 06110

Blue Cocoa, they are kind of an indigo blue/purple color.
Friday's Rookie Topic V- Southern Peas (aka Cowpeas or Field Peas) - Page 3 05910

Okay now the interesting one, the one called pretzel/pretzle-not sure how to spell it right now. The inside is nothing spectacular, looks like a cream pea, but the outside is cool.
Friday's Rookie Topic V- Southern Peas (aka Cowpeas or Field Peas) - Page 3 03510

Okay, how are your southern peas coming along?
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Friday's Rookie Topic V- Southern Peas (aka Cowpeas or Field Peas) - Page 3 Empty Friday's Rookie Topic V- Southern Peas (aka Cowpeas or Field Peas)

Post  sherryeo 7/20/2011, 9:49 pm

Val, please let us know how those more exotic varieties taste! I might want to try them. I love the looks of the pretzel ones - perfect name if they're all that curly.

My peas are sending runners out EVERYwhere. I have been trying to keep them off my other veggies because I was afraid they might choke them! They've run all the way from the front row of my 4X4s to the trelllis on back & onto the string my hubby wrapped around them & tied to the trellis to try to hold them up after that windy storm a while back.

I still haven't gathered enough of them for even one potfull of beans yet!!! I only planted 2 squares to begin with and added another 2 squares later. I just really wanted to try them to see how they'd do. I'll have more space to devote to southern peas in the future since I'm adding 3 more boxes - think I'll probably try a fall planting.

I think the heat might be affecting them, though I figured they'd be better with the heat than most veggies. Some of the pods have been turning brown and dry before every turning purple. Maybe I'll get better at this with practice! Very Happy
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 7/21/2011, 8:45 am

I will try to let you know, but unfortunately I really cannot tell the difference between puple hull pink eyes and cream, it's the texture and size I go for, but it should be fun to try the different varieties, most of them I am growing for more seed for next year.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 8/5/2011, 5:02 pm

Hi FarmerValerie,

Are those from the seeds I sent you? They're gorgeous! Very Happy
miinva

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 8/6/2011, 8:09 am

HHHHEEEEYYYYYY, (picture Snoopy and Woodstock meeting after a long seperation) where have you been, out in the garden? Yes, those are the "Exotic" seeds you sent me. I'm not harvesting a whole bunch, but then I only have 1 sqare of each (5 seeds per square, not all came up) but I will have more next year. It's been cool to have the different kinds though, thank you so much. I really need to pull out my notes and send another thank you to those who sent me seeds with a picture too. Thanks again!!!
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 8/6/2011, 6:35 pm

Sadly I haven't been gardening, I was terribly lazy about it this year. We got beans because they reseeded themselves, and I put in some tomatoes, tomatillos, and peppers, but otherwise I was woefully lazy. We ordered a grafted tomato from Territorial Seed and I think it infected my tomato patch with blight or something similar. It died first and took down most of my plants with it. Sad

On a positive note I've been getting free tomatoes every week from the farmer's market because I maintain a blog for them, so I've been canning a lot! I made pasta sauce, pizza sauce, ketchup, and if I get a free box tomorrow I'll make salsa.

I'm hoping to get back to gardening for fall, since I have a ton of seeds for greens and cool crops.
miinva

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 8/7/2011, 7:45 am

What an aweseome tradeoff!!! I just love the barter system, I'd rather barter than buy. I do hope you get a few things in for fall, and maybe you just needed a break, I wish I coudl get one, just for a week, but I know that would mean everything is gone when I come back.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 8/7/2011, 3:28 pm

I got fresh tomatoes, peppers, and onions, so it's time to make salsa! Very Happy

I got a bit burned out on gardening last year. My husband helped set it up and plant, but then he lost interest and by the end of the season I was pretty fried. I'm hoping I'll get a good harvest this fall after my summer break. Smile
miinva

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 8/8/2011, 8:19 am

Sounds like what happened at my house, every time we have planted...... But it's more like my husband gets busy at work so I really should not complain, and he is out in the heat most of the day, so I understand, but it does not make it an easier on my physically. I am looking into simpler ideas, and may be doing a lot more container gardening using 5 gallon buckets full of MM sitting in gutters. Watering twice a day, with the amount of space I have out there is just too much when the heat index is 90 by 8AM, and humidity is high.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 8/8/2011, 11:24 am

Check out Global Buckets. They have some awesome ideas, including things that can be used in containers other than buckets, like Olla Irrigation. Their main website is at:

Global Buckets
miinva

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3