Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Will an SFG survive near a Black Walnut? Toplef10Will an SFG survive near a Black Walnut? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Will an SFG survive near a Black Walnut? I22gcj10Will an SFG survive near a Black Walnut? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Will an SFG survive near a Black Walnut? Toplef10Will an SFG survive near a Black Walnut? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Will an SFG survive near a Black Walnut? I22gcj10Will an SFG survive near a Black Walnut? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Will an SFG survive near a Black Walnut?

5 posters

Go down

Will an SFG survive near a Black Walnut? Empty Will an SFG survive near a Black Walnut?

Post  OntarioGardener 5/12/2011, 3:55 pm

I just learned that black walnuts are extremely toxic to many plants. I just assembled and filled my box about 10' away from one. The garden in on a cinder block pad so I am not worried about the roots, butt he leaves and walnuts worry me. Can I manage this or shoudl the chainsaw come out???!!!
OntarioGardener

Back to top Go down

Will an SFG survive near a Black Walnut? Empty Re: Will an SFG survive near a Black Walnut?

Post  Furbalsmom 5/12/2011, 7:41 pm

OntarioGardener

Check this link>>Black Walnut Toxicity

One of our members did a lot of research and her results may help you.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Will an SFG survive near a Black Walnut? Empty Re: Will an SFG survive near a Black Walnut?

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 5/13/2011, 12:13 am

Hi OntarioGardner - Oh please don't get the chainsaw out.. Smile A couple of comments based on what I've read. First, I'm not a tree expert, I'm just someone who has a very LARGE black walnut shadowing most of her backyard. Second, I'm not a gardening expert, but have LOVED how helpful everyone here has been. I am in love with the idea of SFG for our situation, in additional to all the other benefits, because it removes the problem of the juglone in the soil. Smile

Some plants are more susceptible to juglone (the yucky tree chemical) than others. Some plants need more sun than others (and if it's a very large tree 10' may still give you quite a bit of shade). You are right that the leaves/twigs/buds etc. from the tree do have juglone in them. Here is how I'm attacking it this year:

I planted some of my most tolerant items in my box nearest to the tree. Some plants which have been observed growing within the dripline of a black walnut are: squashes, melons, beans, carrots, black rasberry, beets, corn, onions, parsnips.

I've got a few plants that I don't know how they'll do in the beds farther away. These are mainly items that were not listed in either the tolerant or intolerant list. If I can't keep up with removing tree debris quickly, I'll start trying to cover them with netting. However, I'll have to keep in mind that if I cover something that needs to be pollinated to fruit, I'll have to consider hand-pollinating.

Lastly, the following are listed as SENSITIVE to the juglone in the tree: blackberry, blueberry, cabbage, pepper, tomato, eggplant, potato, double flowered cole vegetables. I've taken my tomatoes and peppers and actually built a nice little bed in my front yard (away from the tree) for them. One advantage to SFG is that you can make it look nice enough that you can use it in the front of your home or even if you have HOA police (which, thank goodness, I do not. Smile My blueberries are as far away from the tree as I can get them in large pots.

Given all that, if that is where I needed to locate my bed, I would not let it stop me. I would try different things and go heavier on the plants that are known to be juglone tolerant and see how it goes. Smile Please keep me posted as I'm always interested in knowing what works for others with black walnuts. okay

PS Do you husk and dry yours in the fall? I have for two seasons now, but OMG, they are TERRIBLE to crack open... silly me
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 5/13/2011, 12:56 am

With as expensive as rare as it seems those suckers are, I'd be figuring out a way to crack them open and sell them. At least it might pay for your SFG exploits eh?

My dad said when he was a kid his dad ran over them with the car to crack them open! LOL
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  OntarioGardener 5/13/2011, 9:18 am

Newbie panic attack! I will not be cutting down my black walnut! I checked the tree last night and the canopy is not that big. Removing a few strategic branches should do the trick for this season, without having to adjust my SFG plan. Next year I will move some plants around if I notice an issues this year. Trial and error will be the name of this season for sure in so many ways.

On another note, I was outside first thing this morning to see if the local critters decided to pay my newly planted garden a visit. I was pleasantly surprised to discover they had NOT (yet)!

Have a great day!
OntarioGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 5/13/2011, 12:31 pm

OntarioGardener: Will an SFG survive near a Black Walnut? 43549 I've got a couple of lilacs and blueberries with some curled leaves that are on the edge of my dripline...hoping they can stand strong or else I'll have to move the blueberries (in containers)....just not sure WHERE to move them to...the lilacs hopefully will make it...

Middlemamma - yep I've heard that one but then you have to go and search out all the smashed pieces in your driveway... Smile The best I've seen was a youtube video on it where the guy made it look SOOOOO easy...but it doesn't work that easily for me - I think you have to be old and have to have had about 100 years of practice.
How to crack black walnuts Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Back to top Go down

Post  OntarioGardener 5/13/2011, 12:56 pm

UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:OntarioGardener: Will an SFG survive near a Black Walnut? 43549 I've got a couple of lilacs and blueberries with some curled leaves that are on the edge of my dripline...hoping they can stand strong or else I'll have to move the blueberries (in containers)....just not sure WHERE to move them to...the lilacs hopefully will make it...

I underdstand that the juglone has no effect on lilacs (that is what I read). I have one under the dripline as well and it seems to be okay.
OntarioGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 5/13/2011, 3:17 pm

Wow - I'll have to keep researching! Both Ohio State Extension and Purdue Extension say that lilacs are sensitive to juglone...If you have bookmarked where you saw that, I'd love to have it, please. Always looking for new info. Smile thanks
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 5/13/2011, 11:02 pm

Ontario Gardener, sorry I didn't see your post on the Canadian forum. Embarassed Not that I know anything about Black Walnut trees but as your regional host I should have responded to you. Thanks everyone for taking care of Ontario Gardener for me.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 5/14/2011, 1:24 am

OntarioGardener - you give me hope then....I LOVE lilacs I love you - am so hoping they will make it under the tree.... Have you ever tried to save the nuts? Smile

Old Hippie - I LOVE your posts. You are awesome! I read some of them to the hubby who is in your age range (a little older than me) and he gets a big kick outta them! Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 5/14/2011, 1:41 am

Embarassed Why thank you, UTBW! You are a sweetheart. So you married an older man did you Wink . Was he a hippie too?

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum