Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garden Journal Toplef10Garden Journal 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garden Journal I22gcj10Garden Journal 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garden Journal Toplef10Garden Journal 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garden Journal I22gcj10Garden Journal 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Garden Journal

+18
Scorpio Rising
plantoid
countrynaturals
Kelejan
AtlantaMarie
BeetlesPerSqFt
sanderson
Ginger Blue
herblover
stripesmom
UnderTheBlackWalnut
nancy
middlemamma
boog1
Barkie
pelujilla
LentilSoup
Tril
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Garden Journal Empty Garden Journal

Post  Tril 5/11/2011, 5:34 pm

Thinking about starting a garden journal... might help to remember what I did right. Or wrong. LOL

Those of you who keep a garden journal... any insights on what to record, what's worked or not worked for you?

I know I want to have pictures, dates, charts... maybe even keep my seed packets? I'm thinking a large 3-ring binder.
Tril
Tril

Female Posts : 198

Back to top Go down

Garden Journal Empty Re: Garden Journal

Post  LentilSoup 5/11/2011, 6:47 pm

I've just begun mine this year, so I have a lot to learn too. So far, I've kept track of early spring temps, to help with last frost date. And I got a rain gauge to record rainfall amounts. I'm also recording sprouting dates, harvests, soil amendments, insect observations... gosh I guess it get's complex fast!
LentilSoup
LentilSoup

Back to top Go down

Post  pelujilla 5/11/2011, 7:00 pm

I purchased a composition notebook and included the "map" of the garden, sowing, transplant dates, the the information from the seed packets.
And then I journal my observations and thoughts every couple of days. I have to have pictures of the garden printed out because I want to include those as well.

On the back pages I have taped copies of charts and other juicy information I have found from books and magazines...oh yeah, I also included a recipe I tried and LOVED.
pelujilla
pelujilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Tril 5/11/2011, 7:43 pm

Great ideas....

Including charts and recipes makes me realize that yes, I do want a binder... one with clear pages that I can keep full size pages in, magazine articles, photos, things I print, etc. I can also put a spiral notebook in it for my observations, etc.

Better get started before I get too far behind! Garden Journal 118
Tril
Tril

Back to top Go down

Post  LentilSoup 5/11/2011, 8:04 pm

Yup, I can already see how this info will really help me next year, and in the long run.

Anyone else? What kind of data do you find invaluable?
LentilSoup
LentilSoup

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 5/12/2011, 6:31 am

The different varieties you have grown, and if you can fit in time to weigh it note the yeild for the amount of space and length of time they take and if they tasted really good or just mediocre. I grow for flavour, shape and colour and I can see that saving me from trying to remember what to grow and what not to plant again.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Tril 5/12/2011, 6:38 am

Color? Good idea! I cook by color... so why not garden by color??? Love it.
Tril
Tril

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 5/12/2011, 1:20 pm

the other half bought me a journal to record stuff in after hearing " weres my blue note book" ??? where's my ( ) < but mostly i want to use it to check on plant dates, sprout dates and harvest dates and yelds

boog
boog1
boog1

Male Posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 5/12/2011, 2:22 pm

Tril wrote:Great ideas....

Including charts and recipes makes me realize that yes, I do want a binder... one with clear pages that I can keep full size pages in, magazine articles, photos, things I print, etc. I can also put a spiral notebook in it for my observations, etc.

Better get started before I get too far behind! Garden Journal 118

I tried this and had hoped to also keep my seeds in the page protectors along with info I had gathered on each type of crop.

But when I added the seeds, it made the binder too big for the rings, and I had bought one of the HUGE D ring style binders. The seeds all slide in the page protectors to the same spot and then your width is insane...and if you put more than one packet of seeds in the page protector is too "open" and they slide right back out if you have it open on a table or something. It just didn't work.

So I just went back to not having the seeds in the binder and just keeping all the info I wanted to in there.

Just some of my experiences! Maybe you can make it work better and let me know what you did.

Jennie
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 5/12/2011, 2:59 pm

I am an Admin Assistant and am in front of the computer a lot. I keep a word document as my journal. I started it March 12 last year. It is already 27 pages long and it includes no pictures (the document would be huge if I did). I mostly use it as a diary - I write up what I did the night before, what's blooming / growing, what seeds I planted, how many caterpillars or tadpoles I have, what birds and insects I saw, etc. I just looked back at last year for this week and in some ways I'm way ahead, and in others I'm really behind. I like typing it because I type MUCH faster than I write and at 27 typed pages, it would be a lot of hand writing!! I would love to have a pretty notebook, but that just isn't going to work for me.
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 5/12/2011, 3:03 pm

happy hi Hey Nancy - I was going to ask about the same exact thing - I type faster than I write and paper, around my world, is easily misplaced, yet I'm fairly organized on the computer. I was thinking about word document, excel charts, and of course all the pics are digital anyway (and I was playing with Picasa for another family project)....so I may try to do mine digitally as well. Smile Thanks for the hints and tips. Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 5/12/2011, 3:37 pm

I bought a blank paged sketch book for a journal. On the first few pages are my boxes. I drew the boxes/squares in pen and numbered them. Then filled in the plants in pencil. That way I can change it as the plants change and not forget what is in the square. I decided to not put markers in the box. I then started to journal by date after the box pages. As I planted, I wrote down what was in the square by number and box (north box, west box, 4x4), when it should germinate, mature and need harvesting. As well as what the variety was and any other info. My journal has MM smudged on it, but that's ok, I think next winter, I'll be looking at that with a smile. I also wrote on my calendar in the garage when things should germinate/mature/need to be harvested by date so I can just glance at it.
I will add pictures to the journal as I get them. Oh, I also added what I was doing, like hoops and how long I was cutting the pvc and helpful hints like how to mix the MM easier. Because, there will be more boxes I'm sure.
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Tril 5/12/2011, 6:18 pm

Good point on the seed packets... if I put those in my binder it will be the empty ones. I'll store my seeds somewhere else, not in my binder.

I'm finding that the rest of my gardening is taking second place to my SFG. Not sure I like that. LOL
Tril
Tril

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 5/12/2011, 6:25 pm

So is mine Tril. I have a large rock garden that I need to weed. I hate to weed it, it's hard on the knees. It's been there for years and is used to keep the side yard from washing away. I put weed barrier under when I started it. That worked for several years, but then as soil washed into the rock garden, weeds started to take hold.

I'd much rather just set and look at my sweet SFG.
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Tril 5/12/2011, 6:40 pm

I have a banking that I need to do something with... I'd like to plant it with creeping phlox. Grass won't grow on it and if it did, I'd have to "mow" it with a weed wacker, no way I could use my lawn mower. I stopped at a True Value garden center to look at the phlox today. $9 per plant. Sheesh. I'd rather buy more SFG material!!! LOL I didn't get the phlox... I got two very hardy/nice looking pickling cukes. Smile
Tril
Tril

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 5/13/2011, 9:38 am

I have a bank of sand (use to have an above ground pool there, so that's why it's all sand) and I've started to grow sedium on it. Also, a great plant that will grow anywhere is bishops weed. It does kind of die out in the later part of the summer, but it's very tolerant and kind of pretty. They both return year after year and the bishops weed can be mowed and will come back.
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Tril 5/13/2011, 11:56 am

Biship's Weed!!!!!!!! Excellent suggestion!!! I have some in a perennial bed (I didn't plant it, previous owner did) that's doing very well so it likes growing here. I love the varigated leaves, it mounds, it spreads AND it flowers. Smile

Garden Journal 109486 You made my day.
Tril
Tril

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 5/13/2011, 3:33 pm

I have kept a journal for several years; no photos in it but I do take and load pics online. I have a simple weather station and record daily am/pm temps, a rain gauge to measure rainfall, and info such as varieties planted including date of planting. My trees, shrubs and perennial info is in as well; tree trunk diameter growth each year, when plants are divided, etc.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  LentilSoup 5/13/2011, 3:41 pm

Ok, I'm going to come clean... what with the talk of computer journals and all... I'm keeping a physical journal in a moleskine notebook AND I'm doing an online journal here:

http://myfolia.com/gardener/LentilSoup?display_as=Folians

I actually found out about Folia from a post on this forum, I think. I've really been enjoying it! Still, I can't quite bring myself to fully trust online stuff, which is why I'm also keeping a physical notebook journal too.
LentilSoup
LentilSoup

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 5/13/2011, 4:22 pm

Tril, that's great you have Bishop's weed. I bought a small pot of it a few years ago and it's all over the place now. It grows in sand, deep shade, sun, just every where. Invasive, but prolific. Glad I made your day Very Happy .

Lentil, I do not trust on line stuff mostly because my computer keeps having to go to the shop. I'm thinking I have to get a new one some day. Thanks for sharing a link to your journal, that's very cool.
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 12/11/2016, 5:56 pm

Several years have passed since this thread was last in play.  Just wondering what methods of logging/journaling folks are using these days.

If you've purchased a gardening journal book/scrapbook/binder that you use (and like), what kind is it and where did you get it? What types of information does it include places for, and what is it missing that you wish it had?

I'm good with Word and Excel, but recognize the value in maintaining information offline, as well.  Although many of you encouraged me to keep a journal for my gardens this year, I wasn't organized enough to actually do it. It's not exactly a "New Year's resolution," but this is something I'd like to do, going forward.

I have a "myfolia" account, but the site seems awkward to me and haven't really used it.  Do any of you find it valuable?  Perhaps I should check it out, again?
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/12/2016, 3:48 am

I just use a college notebook, 10.5" x 8". On my second one. Maybe I will take a couple of photos to show what I write.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 12/12/2016, 9:46 am

Word document so that I can use "Find" ...Which would work better if I either didn't use abbreviations or was consistent in what word I used for various plants. (Did I type cucumbers, cukes, my map abbreviation Ck, or did I write out the variety name...? Rolling Eyes )
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/12/2016, 11:45 am

Everything I do is in that spreadsheet. Then I can copy from year to year....
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/12/2016, 11:51 am

This is a good thread to resurrect, Ginger Blue. Some threads are really worth bringing back so we do not have to repeat ourselves.

It's about time I collated all my bits and pieces that are spread over Word and also stuff printed out.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum