Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help with Romas Toplef10Help with Romas 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help with Romas I22gcj10Help with Romas 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help with Romas Toplef10Help with Romas 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help with Romas I22gcj10Help with Romas 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help with Romas

+2
Square 1
WendySue67
6 posters

Go down

Help with Romas Empty Help with Romas

Post  WendySue67 5/9/2011, 2:53 pm

I just found out that the Romas I am going to plant are determinate...(I am new to gardening...please don't laugh at me! geek )

I had intended to grow my tomatoes up a trellis and have my garden plan all done, but now I think I need a new plan. I know I could plant them in containers but I'd actually like to try to keep everything in my boxes if possible. How many squares will a roma need? I had intended to plant peppers next to my tomatoes, but will that be too crowded?

I want to get a lot of tomatoes--intending to make salsa and marinara sauce. I don't know much about the different varieties of tomatoes...any recommendations (other than Roma) that are good for salsa and sauce?

My other question is... I grew a different type of tomato plant in my yard last year (didn't have a SFG) and it was also a determinate. The bush was huge and slightly unmanageable. I just read that you aren't supposed to take off the suckers on a bush, but is there some other way these plants can be pruned to make them less messy and/or increase the production?

Thanks for any help you can give me! :scratch:
WendySue67

Back to top Go down

Help with Romas Empty Re: Help with Romas

Post  Square 1 5/9/2011, 7:00 pm

My husband only grows romas - gotta have that sauce! We are converting our row garden to a SFG this year -but we are leaving the tomatoes in a row. I'm not sure what to tell you as far as varieties and SFG tomatoes but I can tell you our experiences with the suckers.

The first year we didn't remove the suckers. We ended up with a lot of smaller sized tomatoes. It was annoying trying to process them. The following year I decided I was pruning the darn things! I pinched the suckers out. The result was less tomatoes but much bigger than the 'grape tomatoe' size we had before. We had to be diligent with the suckers though. If you wait more than a week, there are tons of them. When I waited too long I took out my hand pruners and cut them back. We had no problems. We grew 10 plants and canned at least 24 jars of stewed tomatoes.
Square 1

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/9/2011, 7:21 pm

The only determinates I've grown so far are Oregon Spring and I planted 3 of them across in a 4-square length, but just one width wide.
They did fine and I used those cheap tomato cages you can get at the Family dollar store for a couple of bucks
Help with Romas 05-26-10
Here they are starting to blossom with chard in front.

In the squares in front of them I planted Swiss chard and carrots so they didn't compete with the tomatoes as they grew taller. I didn't have a problem with the spacing and everything grew and harvested just fine but the toms only grew about 3 1/2 feet tall.

I don't know how that would work if your deters are much taller than that.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 5/10/2011, 12:05 am

I'm growing Rio Grande paste tomatoes this year that are determinates. I have 4 in cages in a 2x8 bed and I think next time I will squeeze one more into that space. They are just coming ripe and I love how big they are! I haven't done any pruning except recently I cleaned up yucky branches/leaves at the bottom when I put down mulch.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/10/2011, 2:48 am

I have been pruning the leaves (not suckers) growing beneath the fruit on both bush and vining types and it is working well. I don't let any leaves touch the ground on any of my plants, old habits die hard. You don't have to take the whole leaf off either just snip the tips if crowding becomes a problem. They say "peppers like to rub shoulders" so perhaps they will like to rub shoulders with the toms too. Help with Romas 601593
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane 5/10/2011, 12:02 pm

All I grow is romas and in large quantities and they work perfect for my boxes. I put mine on the outer edge of my box. My box is 7 feet across so I can plant 4 plants per edge (so about 1 1/2 squares). It also takes up less space when planted in the outer squares because the plants can extend past the edge of the bed. If you look at my avatar you can see the tomato plants on the right side of the box. I have never taken suckers off and get huge harvests for canning and salsa. I do take off the very bottom branches so they don't touch the soil.

Good Luck!
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum