Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
seedling pictures? Toplef10seedling pictures? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

seedling pictures? I22gcj10seedling pictures? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
seedling pictures? Toplef10seedling pictures? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

seedling pictures? I22gcj10seedling pictures? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

seedling pictures?

+9
Icemaiden
Zephyros
SFG in Chicago
Barkie
jbh29
quiltbea
Furbalsmom
Weedless_
scmelik
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

seedling pictures? Empty seedling pictures?

Post  scmelik 5/8/2011, 7:17 pm

can someone post a few pictures of their seedlings that are only a few days old? Somehow without the heatewr on I had half a dozen pepper plants and two or three tomato plants pop up in the last two days. So like I have read on here a dozen or more times I very gingerly stuck a pencil into the vermiculite and pulled them up to transplant them to my styrafoam cups with MM. Two of the transplants are already whillting and falling over. To me they look very weak and spindly and they just cannot support the weight of themselves. I tried to prop them up on a popcicle stick and add some more MM to them in the hopes that it would support them more while they had a chance to grow but I am not sure its going to work.

Can someone post a picture or two of their young seedlings that I could use to compare my plants too?
scmelik

Back to top Go down

seedling pictures? Empty Re: seedling pictures?

Post  Weedless_ 5/8/2011, 11:21 pm

Here are the pictures of tomatoes and peppers, day 12 after sowing on both.
Tomatoes take somewhere between 4 and 10 days to emerge, and peppers typically take longer, but once they germinate, there's not stopping them.

Weak and spindly seedlings means two things, too much water, and not enough sun. With tomatoes it's not a big deal, they grow roots from all parts of the stem, so you can just bury them deeper. Not sure about peppers, but worth a shot. I had the same problem with broccolis, and ended up burying them deeper twice. They are still alive and kicking. Definitely add more light - it fixes everything.

Good luck

Peppers

Tomatoes

Weedless_
Weedless_

Female Posts : 233

http://www.eatalready.com

Back to top Go down

Post  scmelik 5/9/2011, 7:51 am

i don't know if its the picture or if your plants are really that green but mine definitely are not that color. When mine sprout they are very light green almost white, and within three days usually they die.
scmelik

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/9/2011, 5:03 pm

Here are my seedlings in vermiculite, just before transplanting to MM. I always transplanted them from vermiculite to cells with-in a couple of days after germination.

Revolution lettuce
seedling pictures? Revolu11

Tomatoes ready to transfer to MM
seedling pictures? Tomato10

Tomatoes transplanted to MM in seedling cells
seedling pictures? 18_lit10

Once my seedlings were transferred into seedling cells with MM, they were then grown under shop light fixtures with one cool and one warm flourescent bulb. I kept the light bulbs about two inches above the top of the plants.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/9/2011, 7:56 pm

When mine first germinate they are then looking for sunlight and sometimes I don't move them right away so they start to get leggy.
Once under the lights, tho, they start to fatten up a bit.
seedling pictures? 03-31-10
In the smaller tray are seedlings that just germinated which I now placed under the light. I was holding them there to take the photo. As you can see from the older ones on the right and in the back, they seem to reform once they get under the lights and start growing. I think these were broccoli and cabbages. They are very green, not pale.
The leggy mass on the left was some experiment in starting several seeds in single 2" soil blocks which didn't work for me. I can't even remember what I sowed in those blocks.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  jbh29 5/9/2011, 9:01 pm

This is my first time starting all my veggies and several kinds of flowers from seed. I won't post any pics, as mine are tallish and searching for light. Embarassed Not really very pretty, but they're alive. Next year I'll get a grow light! The only yellowish seedlings I have are my cucumbers. But a friend who owns a garden center assured me that with some food they will green up. In with the compost... I've watered some seedlings with miracle grow in water to feed them too. Seems to keep things green and it was easy to water in the seedling packs rather than try and work any compost into such small containers.
jbh29
jbh29

Female Posts : 133

Back to top Go down

Post  scmelik 5/10/2011, 12:00 am

those are ALOT shorter than mine when they got their leaves. Almost all of my seedlings got to about 2.5 to 3 inches tall before they got their leaves and they were super super thin. As soon as the leaves popped out they would fall over. Why would they grow so tall so fast before the leaves showed up? The only one that hasn't done that is my one pepper plant, right now he is only about .75 inches tall and is holding up well so far, time will tell how long he lasts though.
scmelik

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/10/2011, 12:08 am

scmelik wrote:those are ALOT shorter than mine when they got their leaves. Almost all of my seedlings got to about 2.5 to 3 inches tall before they got their leaves and they were super super thin. As soon as the leaves popped out they would fall over. Why would they grow so tall so fast before the leaves showed up? The only one that hasn't done that is my one pepper plant, right now he is only about .75 inches tall and is holding up well so far, time will tell how long he lasts though.

Mine were 3/4 in up to 1 1/2 inch when the leaves opened, but I buried them to the seed leaves when I transplanted the seedlings into the seedling cells with MM.

Are your seedlings under lights while they germinate? Once they start to germinate, they really need some light or they will stretch and get truly spindly.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  scmelik 5/10/2011, 7:03 am

Furbalsmom wrote:
scmelik wrote:those are ALOT shorter than mine when they got their leaves. Almost all of my seedlings got to about 2.5 to 3 inches tall before they got their leaves and they were super super thin. As soon as the leaves popped out they would fall over. Why would they grow so tall so fast before the leaves showed up? The only one that hasn't done that is my one pepper plant, right now he is only about .75 inches tall and is holding up well so far, time will tell how long he lasts though.

Mine were 3/4 in up to 1 1/2 inch when the leaves opened, but I buried them to the seed leaves when I transplanted the seedlings into the seedling cells with MM.

Are your seedlings under lights while they germinate? Once they start to germinate, they really need some light or they will stretch and get truly spindly.

no i do not have them under any type of light other than my regular kitchen light, I wanted to do a growing table but not this year it is going to have to wait until next year.
scmelik

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 5/10/2011, 10:33 am

Try putting your seed in pots on a warm windowsill where there is plenty of daylight (but not blazing hot sun).
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/10/2011, 10:48 am

Except for lettuce that requires light to germinate, I sow my seedlings, spritz with warm water or weak green tea and place the tray in a quiet spot away from light, covered with something like a dome or a fast food clear plastic top or even tucked into a plastic bag to retain moisture. I spritz now and again if they need more moisture until they pop. They need some warmth to germinate.

Once they germinate, then they are placed under lights. Even if they start out leggy, they seem to even out later.

I know seeds need warmth firstly. Then the sprouts need sunlight or artificial light to grow.

I'm sure when you get your seed-growing supplies next year, you'll find starting seeds a lot easier.

quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  SFG in Chicago 5/11/2011, 9:16 am

scmelik wrote:
Furbalsmom wrote:

no i do not have them under any type of light other than my regular kitchen light, I wanted to do a growing table but not this year it is going to have to wait until next year.

Seedlings need lots of light once they germinate. A sunny window at the very least. What sort of kitchen light are you talking about? If it's a ceiling fixture, sorry that's not going to cut it. You can get an inexpensive shop light from Home Depot, that would work much better.
SFG in Chicago

Female Posts : 110

http://www.glassfever.net

Back to top Go down

seedling pictures? Empty Spinach seedlings

Post  Zephyros 5/13/2011, 6:21 am

So if you people are posting pictures of seedlings here, is there someone with a picture of a spinach (nores) seedling? I would like to know how a spinach seedling looks like since I have never planted them before. My problem is that I sow my spinach outdoor straight away, and only one came up and it is not exactly the spot where I seeded them but it is still close enough if the seed floated away a bit after watering, thus I am not really convinced that it is spinach or weed. And now we are talking about it anyway, do birds like spinach seed or not?
Zephyros
Zephyros

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/13/2011, 10:20 am

I'll take a picture when I get back from duty at the community garden.

It comes up with two skinny prongs, and then round leaves come up in the middle. That gives you an idea, at least. Til later.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 5/13/2011, 10:29 am

Zephyros wrote:So if you people are posting pictures of seedlings here, is there someone with a picture of a spinach (nores) seedling? I would like to know how a spinach seedling looks like since I have never planted them before. My problem is that I sow my spinach outdoor straight away, and only one came up and it is not exactly the spot where I seeded them but it is still close enough if the seed floated away a bit after watering, thus I am not really convinced that it is spinach or weed. And now we are talking about it anyway, do birds like spinach seed or not?

Here is my spinach from last year:
seedling pictures? Spinac10
Icemaiden

http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/13/2011, 2:17 pm

I see icemaiden posted a great picture.

If you want to see them just sprouting with their long green shoots pushing up first, here's a pic taken today of my Bloomsdale spinach in the coldframe.

seedling pictures? 05-13-11
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 5/13/2011, 2:21 pm

How long did yours take to come up Quiltbea? Mine took 8+ days last year but it is kind of cool here.
Icemaiden

http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/13/2011, 8:00 pm

I sowed these seeds Apr 25th so this is after 18 days.

Its been in the high 30s here nites and low 40s the last several days, so its slow in coming.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 5/13/2011, 8:29 pm

So glad to see this thread! I started a thread today, because I sowed my first ever seeds in my new SFG on May 5, and have been watching seedlings poke out of the ground. I wasn't sure though if they were my veggies or grass, because there are so many of these kind of all over the place:

seedling pictures? Spinac15

Camprn very wisely advised me to give it more time so that I can get to know the plants and see what they will become (veggies or grass). But when I saw your pictures of your spinach seedlings it gave me even more hope because they look familiar! Here's hoping!

MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Post  Zephyros 5/14/2011, 12:47 pm

Great, now I can check it.
Zephyros
Zephyros

Back to top Go down

Post  Zephyros 5/15/2011, 8:01 am

cheers hurray, it is Spinach. But now, where is the rest of my seed gone to? If from all those seeds only one plant comes up, then where is the rest? :scratch:
Zephyros
Zephyros

Back to top Go down

Post  rschack 4/9/2012, 12:50 pm

Zephyros wrote:So if you people are posting pictures of seedlings here, is there someone with a picture of a spinach (nores) seedling? I would like to know how a spinach seedling looks like since I have never planted them before. My problem is that I sow my spinach outdoor straight away, and only one came up and it is not exactly the spot where I seeded them but it is still close enough if the seed floated away a bit after watering, thus I am not really convinced that it is spinach or weed. And now we are talking about it anyway, do birds like spinach seed or not?

I am experiencing this exact same situation. I planted two seeds in each square just in case one didn't germinate and I now have a small green leaf coming up in one square, but it is not exactly where I was expecting it and i am still not sure if it is a weed or not.
rschack
rschack

Female Posts : 37

Back to top Go down

Post  rschack 4/9/2012, 12:54 pm

From the pictures people are posting it is giving me hope that the green things coming up in my garden is, in fact, spinach. Yay seedling pictures? 43549
rschack
rschack

Female Posts : 37

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/9/2012, 4:28 pm

Never lose hope.

Seeds I planted on 3/1/12 are just popping up now. And that's about 7 different types of seeds.

We get a lot of wild grasses/weeds. What I like about the seedlings is they are a bright green color and the weeds are either a dark green or a blue green.

So even if the weed got near the spot I planted the seed, the color usually gives it away. And the bright color helps with knowing it's one you want, when it looks like grass!
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/9/2012, 5:28 pm

I've found this thread facinating.

this year for the first time ever i use vermiculite to sprout the seeds and like the original poster got aneamic colours .. the seeds too muck longer than normal to develop .. ( not enough heat an light even though they were onthe kitchen window cill )

I made up a dose of house plant liquid feed as per the instruction on the bottle of baby BIO and watered the emerging seedlings in two days they had greened up .

Conclusions :-

Slow start seeds in MM with just tap water in it ...perhaps is not enough quantities in natural nutrients in the water to get slow strating seedlings off to a good start.

The water used was tap water so this might have a big bearing on the matter as it is very soft water ( acidic ) and high in dissolved things .

For the next set of seedlings , I now have several small soda bottles of rain water, frozen in the deep freeze and will use this thawed out and at room temp for the waterings .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next