Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
are composted wood shavings acidic? Toplef10are composted wood shavings acidic? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

are composted wood shavings acidic? I22gcj10are composted wood shavings acidic? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
are composted wood shavings acidic? Toplef10are composted wood shavings acidic? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

are composted wood shavings acidic? I22gcj10are composted wood shavings acidic? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

are composted wood shavings acidic?

2 posters

Go down

are composted wood shavings acidic? Empty are composted wood shavings acidic?

Post  tkdtara84 5/5/2011, 4:31 pm

We've been clearing out the back part of our yard up next to the woods, and I found a nice big pile of wood shavings that I'm assuming was left from where the previous owners cut down a tree and just left the shavings. I think I read somewhere about wood being acidic.

I'm not sure what kind of wood it is-- could be maple since there are lots of those around. It's pretty well composted. It's been there for at least 5 years since we bought the house, probably much longer.

Anyhow, could/should I add that to some new MM I'll be mixing soon, or would it be too acidic? I'm also planning to plant some azaleas, rhododendrons, and blueberries, (not in SFG) which need acidic soil, so if it is acidic, I could mix a lot of that in with those plantings as well. There's a huge pile of it, so there's plenty if it would work for both.

Also, unrelated to SFG-- the flower bed where I plan to plant the azaleas and rhododendrons has tons of composted leaf mold from being up next to the woods and the elderly POs not raking it for years. Are composted leafs acidic as well, meaning that the soil should already be nice for azaleas, etc.? Most of the trees are maples.

Thanks!
tkdtara84
tkdtara84

Female Posts : 68

Back to top Go down

are composted wood shavings acidic? Empty Re: are composted wood shavings acidic?

Post  camprn 5/5/2011, 4:38 pm

Wow what great questions!!!! If it were my yard this is what I would do... I would remove some of the leaf mold and hold it aside for my SFG, for top dressing or mixing into the ground in the fall. I would then use the wood chips for mulch under & around the newly planted shrubs and not use any in my Mel's mix. Not because they are acidic, but because they are chunky.

It is true that wood upon the ground depletes a small amount of nitrogen from the soil nearby, so I generally use wood chips for pathways and such. Because you said the chips have been hanging around a while they would probably make excellent mulch material. If you have any pine needles you could place those around your acid loving shrubs too! Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

are composted wood shavings acidic? Empty Re: are composted wood shavings acidic?

Post  tkdtara84 5/5/2011, 10:39 pm

That pile was kind of hidden by brush. If I had seen it sooner, I wouldn't have had to run around like a madwoman looking for a fifth kind of compost. It looks like it's composted sawdust, so it's actually not too chunky at all. The dirt underneath it is unbelievable. That whole back bed is really pretty fantastic. It's probably had over a hundred years of composted leafs on it. I think it might give MM a run for its money-- but it's in shade, so not much hope there.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll use it with the flowers and just add in a little sulfur to be on the safe side. I really should spring for one of those soil testers, but I'd rather spend the $20 on plants. Smile
tkdtara84
tkdtara84

Female Posts : 68

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum