Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Sugar snap peas and getting them on the vine Toplef10Sugar snap peas and getting them on the vine 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Sugar snap peas and getting them on the vine I22gcj10Sugar snap peas and getting them on the vine 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Sugar snap peas and getting them on the vine Toplef10Sugar snap peas and getting them on the vine 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Sugar snap peas and getting them on the vine I22gcj10Sugar snap peas and getting them on the vine 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Sugar snap peas and getting them on the vine

+4
tabletopper
chexmix
Patty from Yorktown
moswell
8 posters

Go down

Sugar snap peas and getting them on the vine Empty Sugar snap peas and getting them on the vine

Post  moswell 5/4/2011, 10:08 pm

Okay, so this may seem like a silly question, so forgive me. I followed the guidelines and planted eight snap pea plants in a square foot, and I need to get them to move towards my trellis. This seems relatively straightforward with the ones closest to the trellis, but how do I get the ones on the inside of the square to move towards the trellis? I just started to notice little vines in the last couple days, so I'm figuring I need to do something soon. Smile

Thanks in advance, and here's a picture of where things stand:

Sugar snap peas and getting them on the vine Sfg05010
The peas are at the top of the picture, second square on the left.
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Sugar snap peas and getting them on the vine Empty Re: Sugar snap peas and getting them on the vine

Post  Patty from Yorktown 5/4/2011, 10:30 pm

Hi,
I have positioned my peas a little differently than you. I made a double line of 4 right under my trellis. In any event the plants will start to get a little taller and reach out with tendrils. Just guide the tendrils toward the net. The plants are fairly flexible and they want to grab. Enjoy your salad!

Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Sugar snap peas and getting them on the vine Empty Re: Sugar snap peas and getting them on the vine

Post  chexmix 5/5/2011, 12:05 am

You did fine with them. As they grow, guide them towards the trellis. The ones farther away will have to be taller before they will reach the trellis. They will also use each other to support themselves. So don't worry it will all work out.
chexmix
chexmix

Female Posts : 92

Back to top Go down

Sugar snap peas and getting them on the vine Empty Re: Sugar snap peas & getting them on the vine

Post  tabletopper 5/5/2011, 12:11 am

are these peas the chinese stir fry? if so my husband made me cages for each square to be used with a plastic cover, or shade cloth with clothes pins.....So what I have done is made a "2nd story" by stacking 2 of them ,,,,wired together on the sides....it works good for me....love the stir fry peas....even cut some up and put them in my dogs food...she gets her "greens" too.......Ruth
tabletopper

Female Posts : 235

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 5/5/2011, 10:15 am

Thanks everyone. Smile I'll trust that they'll eventually grow enough to actually reach the trellis. Alas, I have no husband to help me build things, but I might try to make something like a tower around the tomato square feet because I'm worried about the tomatoes being eaten by chipmunks and squirrels.
moswell
moswell

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/5/2011, 10:29 am

I don't know how to pull a secion of the post to this one so I'll just type it in....
"I trust they'll eventually grow enough to actually reach the trellis"

Well, I had to smile at that line. They'll grow alright, around 6' tall or more.
The vines are eager to grab something so when they gain the length to touch the trellis, just move it there and it will take over with a vengeance.
Good luck and enjoy your harvest. They're soooo tasty home grown.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/5/2011, 10:35 am

No worries. The peas will get about 4 inches tall before you can even do anything with them. You will notice they start putting out little "feelers." Those things grab onto things and curl around them to hold on.

If the feelers can't reach your trellis, put them on the nearest pea plant. Mine are using themselves to support themselves like crazy. My trellis is actually outside my garden bed, so I had to really wait. They are doing fine. They all get sunshine.

Mine also got about 2 feet high before I saw the first blossom. Maybe because I didn't use innoculant, but whatevs. Once they start getting tall, don't worry about when blossoms will appear....they will.

Just keep putting the feelers in contact with the trellis as they grow, and you'll be a pea pro before you know it.

Happy Gardening!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 5/5/2011, 11:10 am

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:
If the feelers can't reach your trellis, put them on the nearest pea plant. Mine are using themselves to support themselves like crazy.

Aha - that's a good idea. I do have feelers now (they showed up in the last couple days), so I can head them in the direction of the plants closer to the trellis.

Mine also got about 2 feet high before I saw the first blossom. Maybe
because I didn't use innoculant, but whatevs. Once they start getting
tall, don't worry about when blossoms will appear....they will.

What's an innoculant (in reference to plants, that is)?
moswell
moswell

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/5/2011, 3:22 pm

The way I understand it, innoculant is something (powder, I think) that you put in the soil when you plant peas. It's supposed to kill a certain bacteria that can hinder production. When I first heard about it, I freaked out. I thought my peas were going to die "virgins." So, I asked the good people here and they told me it helps, but isn't a steadfast requirement.

Well, I didn't want to buy something else for the garden at the time, so I never did anything about it. We'll see when I start harvesting peas. Maybe I'll have something new to complain about. Wink
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/5/2011, 3:30 pm

moswell wrote:...What's an innoculant (in reference to plants, that is)?

It's like a bad habit: if you never try it, you won't miss it.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 5/5/2011, 4:28 pm

boffer wrote:
moswell wrote:...What's an innoculant (in reference to plants, that is)?

It's like a bad habit: if you never try it, you won't miss it.

lol, okay. Very Happy
moswell
moswell

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/6/2011, 3:25 am

Moswell,
Peas, beans and other legumes are well known to help fix nitrogen into the soil. What many people don’t know is that a significant amount of nitrogen fixing by peas and beans happens only when a special legume inoculant has been added to the soil.
The kind of bacteria used for legume inoculants is Rhizobium leguminosarum which is a nitrogen fixing bacteria. These bacteria “infect” the legumes growing in the soil and cause the legumes to form the nitrogen fixing nodules that make peas and beans the nitrogen powerhouses they are. Without the Rhizobium leguminosarum bacteria, these nodules do not form and the peas and beans will not be able to produce the nitrogen that helps them grow and also replenishes the nitrogen in the soil.
After you have grown legumes in inoculanted soil once you do not normally have to inoculante it again.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down