Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
how to use ALL of the broccoli plant? Toplef10how to use ALL of the broccoli plant? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

how to use ALL of the broccoli plant? I22gcj10how to use ALL of the broccoli plant? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
how to use ALL of the broccoli plant? Toplef10how to use ALL of the broccoli plant? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

how to use ALL of the broccoli plant? I22gcj10how to use ALL of the broccoli plant? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

how to use ALL of the broccoli plant?

+7
Smartchick
Barkie
walshevak
Furbalsmom
ModernDayBetty
Squat_Johnson
boffer
11 posters

Go down

how to use ALL of the broccoli plant? Empty how to use ALL of the broccoli plant?

Post  boffer 5/4/2011, 12:18 pm

I didn't know you could until a couple members mentioned it last year.

How do you use the leaves and stalks/stems when they're fresh?

What is the best way to preserve the leaves and stalks/stems?

thanks
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

how to use ALL of the broccoli plant? Empty Re: how to use ALL of the broccoli plant?

Post  Squat_Johnson 5/4/2011, 3:35 pm

Last fall, just as the first frost was due, I pulled all my remaining broccoli heads. The broccoli leaves I mixed with Mustard Greens, onion and a smoked ham hock. YUM.

I tossed the stems in the compost pile. This spring, I noticed that my pile was growing... a Broccoli plant. How's that for recycling?
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

how to use ALL of the broccoli plant? Empty Re: how to use ALL of the broccoli plant?

Post  ModernDayBetty 5/4/2011, 3:46 pm

I haven't gotten there yet but in Mel's cookbook he say's the leaves are slightly bitter and best used as a cooked green.

When I've used store bought broccoli I save the stems. In my family the green buds are the favorite when steamed. To get the most out of the broccoli I save the long thick part of the steam. I chop it up until it's fine and add about 1/4 of a cup along with other veggies like onion and carrots to brown rice. I use it to make chicken rice and cheesy rice. I'm sure it would be a nice addition to other flavorful rices also.
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/4/2011, 4:35 pm

I enjoy raw broccoli stems, peeled and eaten like a carrot. The flavor reminds me of the core of a cabbage and we enjoy that also as a raw veggie snack.

Using the stem, peeled and diced is a great way to sneak more veggies into your kid's (big or little) soup, rice or casserole.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/4/2011, 5:49 pm

Stir fried with onions, celery, snow peas and broccoli stems (peel if extra tough). Season with soy sauce and serve over rice.

Add broccoli florets last or save them to serve with dip.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 5/5/2011, 8:32 am

Cheese and broccolli soup goes down well. Boil stem etc in veg stock, add onions and bubble until tender, blitz in blender, return it to the pan on the stove, heat up, stir in salt, pepper and a strong grated cheese, (we like mature cheddar or stilton) serve when cheese has melted or freeze. Before serving taste and add chopped fresh herbs or whatever you like to yummy perfection.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Smartchick 5/5/2011, 1:10 pm

I've never heard of using the leaves, but we always ate the stems growing up. Just slice them into rounds and get them cooking first, then add florets.

Or, you could shred the stems and turn them into broccoli slaw. Yep, the "broccoli slaw" in the bags in the grocery store is shredded stems with some carrots thrown in to make them pretty. Good way for farmers to use up the stuff people won't eat and charge a couple bucks a bag for it! Smile
Smartchick
Smartchick

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/5/2011, 3:21 pm

Smartchick wrote:...Good way for farmers to use up the stuff people won't eat and charge a couple bucks a bag for it! Smile

Okay, I'll hi-jack my own thread! Wink

Google: 'how to make baby carrots' The manufactured 'baby carrot' product was started in the eighties by a carrot farmer who got tired of throwing out the majority of his crops because they weren't pretty.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  cachecrashers4 5/5/2011, 7:14 pm

My dog LOVES broccoli/cauliflower stems. It's a great treat for her that's also good for her.
cachecrashers4
cachecrashers4

Male Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/6/2011, 12:37 am

Boffer my Mom makes terrific broco slaw and I have a recipie for tofu and broccoli in spicy thai peanut sauce that uses peeled and sliced stems if you would like the recpies just PM me.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 5/6/2011, 6:01 am

boffer wrote:
Google: 'how to make baby carrots' The manufactured 'baby carrot' product was started in the eighties by a carrot farmer who got tired of throwing out the majority of his crops because they weren't pretty.

I hate those things! They feel slimey some how, guess it is the scraping process like machine peeling potatoes feel slippy too. Yuk!
Icemaiden

http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 5/6/2011, 7:40 am

boffer wrote:
Smartchick wrote:...Good way for farmers to use up the stuff people won't eat and charge a couple bucks a bag for it! Smile

Okay, I'll hi-jack my own thread! Wink

Sounds like the guy who had a vineyard, one year during a drought everyone else suffered massive loss, he made a killing marketing and selling raisins............
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum