Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Heated Hoop Houses Toplef10Heated Hoop Houses 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Heated Hoop Houses I22gcj10Heated Hoop Houses 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Heated Hoop Houses Toplef10Heated Hoop Houses 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Heated Hoop Houses I22gcj10Heated Hoop Houses 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Heated Hoop Houses

+6
BackyardBirdGardner
Hoggar
UnderTheBlackWalnut
GlassHen
Furbalsmom
boffer
10 posters

Go down

Heated Hoop Houses Empty Heated Hoop Houses

Post  boffer 5/3/2011, 2:41 pm

If you live in an area with little winter sunshine, and want to get a head start on your spring growing season, an H3 (heated hoop house) is a relatively cheap, effective method to do so.

I've been using two traditional cold frames for five years. The biggest problem with them is that when the sun doesn't shine, they just can't stay warm. This year, my H3's outpaced my cold frames by 7 weeks. I'm on my second plantings in my H3, but I haven't eaten produce out of my cold frames yet. To be fair, I've had an extra cool and wet late winter and early spring, so I don't think the difference will be so large all the time.

For someone who doesn't have the room inside to germinate seeds, a H3 is a good alternative. I used one H3 to germinate 50 broccoli and 25 cauliflower seeds, planted 5 per square. When they reached 6-10 inches, I started transplanting them into their permanent beds, a few each week. They're all doing well despite some freezing overnight temps. I planted 3 tomato plants in March. Rather than up potting, I planted four tomatoes just to keep them until I could plant outside, which won't be until mid-late May. I'm also germinating multiple squash and cuke seeds.

I just built my third H3 and remembered to take pictures. Here's the process, along with commentary, since I'm learning all this as I go along. Insulation selection was based on what I had on hand or convenient.

The soil heating cable: I bought locally, but it's sold on the internet.. It takes a surprisingly long length of cable. The longest cable will heat 12 sf, and it costs ~$3/sf. I used the longest cable in my first box that was 15 sf, so the cable was a little undersized. It worked just fine for cool crops. I used a kill-a-watt meter to measure power, and I figure it cost me 12¢ per day to operate. My second and third boxes, I put two cables in each box to have more versatility. (for instance: heat on for warm crops on one side, and heat off for cool crops on the other) The thermostat is fixed at 74°; I can play a little bit with soil temperature by moving the thermostat higher or lower in the MM (ie. closer or farther from the heat source on the bottom)

The instructions say to mount the heating cable on ½ inch welded wire, then flip the piece of wire upside down to put the cable on the underside so it will have protection. Um...I didn't do it that way, and the heating cable is unprotected. I raided the utensil drawer in the kitchen for the oldest wooden spoons and spatulas to use in my heated boxes in lieu of a metal trowel; plastic utensils would be safe to use also.

My first box was a retro-fit: I put the cable into a 6" deep box, and I lost 1" of MM due to the insulation. That shallower depth hasn't been a problem. My second and third, I made the boxes 8" deep. This is one inch Styrofoam insulation that I had on hand.
Heated Hoop Houses Dscn0212

Then I lined the bottom and sides with ¼ inch bubble wrap sandwiched between foil layers.
Heated Hoop Houses Dscn0213

I found a roll locally that was 4x10 feet, which was perfect.
Heated Hoop Houses Dscn0215

I put two cables in this box. The little clear plastic tube holds the thermostat.
Heated Hoop Houses Dscn0216

I took a bunch of pictures for this view, but I'm not a good enough photographer to deal with the shiny reflective foil. You can see how I used regular duct tape to keep the cable attached and lined up on the foil. I left some slack in the cable on both sides of the thermostats so they could be lifted up into the MM. The cable does not get 'hot'; it gets barely warm to the touch; that's why it takes so much.
Heated Hoop Houses Dscn0217

This is how I safely secured the zip cord to the box.
Heated Hoop Houses Dscn0218

Make your hoop house however you prefer, and go for it! I haven't tried using an H3 to extend the season in the fall yet. I may try some lettuce and spinach this year.

The great results I described above were with cool crops. I had the heat on for about six weeks.
Heated Hoop Houses Dscn0219

This box, I've had the heat on since mid-March for the tomatoes, artichokes, and peppers. I do use a supplemental lamp for the warm crops for extra heat on cold nights.
Heated Hoop Houses Dscn0314

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Heated Hoop Houses Empty Re: Heated Hoop Houses

Post  Furbalsmom 5/3/2011, 3:44 pm

Thank you so much. I really like the detailed commentary on building the box. Since I "steal" your ideas frequently, I want to use this one too. Very Happy

How did you handle drainage?
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  GlassHen 5/3/2011, 4:08 pm

That's awesome! And great tutorial! How cold do you think it could get until this wouldn't really work anymore?
GlassHen
GlassHen

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 5/3/2011, 4:32 pm

I wondered about drainage too. We had a convo on an earlier post about lining boxes with plywood bottoms. Where we ran into trouble was trying to figure out how to drain it (as poking holes seemed to defeat the purpose of lining the boxes to prevent contact with the plywood). In the end, we just used the plywood as is, but I'm still looking for other solutions. In his book, Mel just uses the word "plywood" and specifies the thickness. He doesn't specify the type of plywood needed, like he does when he talks about the boards for the sides. Not sure if it needs to be the expensive formaldehyde-free stuff or if regular plain old sheeting is good?

It does seem that your regular solution of hardware cloth and weed clothes would allow for drainage and still give you a box "bottom". I may try that next time. But am curious now how you drain your heated boxes, too. Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/3/2011, 6:57 pm

I guess I glossed over drainage. It's a TT, with hardware cloth bottom, so there is drainage around the perimeter of the box, where the sides meet the bottom. Just as an afterthought, I took an awl and poked a dozen random holes through the bubble wrap and Styrofoam. Whether the holes will help with drainage or interfere with heat retention, I'll probably never know.

When it comes to extended cold temps, I don't know. In late Jan and early Feb, I had overnight temps in the high teens. The soil stayed at 53°+ which is plenty warm enough for cool crops. There are too many variables to consider: depth of the thermostat, depth of the soil thermometer, where to place the air thermometer, short term cold temps might be irrelevant, long term consistent low temps could be more important...who knows? I always err on the side of lazy: it works or it doesn't. YMMV and so will mine, from year to year.

For anyone with spring fever, it's just another technique to explore, that pushes the limits.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggar 5/4/2011, 11:07 am

Great post Boffer!

I told my wife about your heated boxes and she rolled her eyes Heated Hoop Houses Icon_rolleyes and said "oh great!".

Betcha can't guess whos idea the garden was and who thinks the other has already spent way too much money on it...Heated Hoop Houses 61949
Hoggar
Hoggar

Male Posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/4/2011, 11:33 am

Hoggar wrote:...Betcha can't guess whos idea the garden was and who thinks the other has already spent way too much money on it...Heated Hoop Houses 61949

The way prices are rising, you're going to recoup your investment quickly. Besides, you could be using that money to throw darts and drink beer with the boys! Wink
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggar 5/4/2011, 4:17 pm

Na it would just go to my boat restoration project... Laughing
Hoggar
Hoggar

Male Posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/4/2011, 5:59 pm

Four star post, Boff. Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

I may have to give this a go. Over/under is placed at Thanksgiving before I am asking more questions about how to get this set up correctly...lol.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  kputikka 6/19/2011, 11:17 pm

boffer did you put this in the garage or was it outside all winter? What are your outdoor temps like in the winter?
kputikka

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/20/2011, 12:06 am

kputikka wrote:boffer did you put this in the garage or was it outside all winter? What are your outdoor temps like in the winter?

This year, I used them outside as a means to get an earlier start on the growing season and as germination beds to grow transplants. Lowest temperature was 17°F. It was not a problem inside the H3 for cool crops. I started the third week in January. I think the bigger problem is the lack of sunshine and short days in my climate and latitude. The plants were warm enough, but even being outside under 'clear' plastic, there just wasn't enough light. I think I'll wait until Feb 1 to get started next year.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  white95v6 6/20/2011, 2:55 pm

i have not tried this. but i have heard ppl talk about it. use a black 55gallon drum of water. during the day the water heats up and at night it will help keep the house warm.

agian i have not tried this ether. but if your garden is close enough to your dryier vent you could run the vent into the greenhouse to help keep it warm at night. one good load of clothes and its warm.

i plan to do both this winter and next spring. has anyone done these tricks? how did they work?
white95v6

Male Posts : 31

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/20/2011, 3:42 pm

Passive heating can only work if the sun is shining, and even then it's not very effective and efficient. It would be better to upgrade to a passive collector system to warm your barrel. I've read feedback reports on dryer venting as a source of heat. The bigger the family, the better it works.

I don't get much sun in the winter, or in the spring, or in... In a heated hoop house, for just one thin dime a day for electricity, I get the heat and dependability to do a lot of early season stuff that I couldn't otherwise.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  white95v6 6/20/2011, 3:57 pm

yea i know you need sun to make the barrel work. and for where you are your set-up works great. maybe i should have started my own thread lol. sorry if i hyjacked yours.
white95v6

Male Posts : 31

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/20/2011, 4:11 pm

Why don't you start another thread. Backyardbirdgardener did some experimenting with black milk jugs this spring and would have some feedback to contribute.

I have a huge commercial heating radiator in my stash, waiting for me to get around to building a passive solar collector system to heat water to warm the greenhouse I haven't built yet!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/20/2011, 6:31 pm

What was the impact on your electric bill?

(I am loving this idea!)
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/20/2011, 6:56 pm

I did use a cumulative watt meter to check two different H3s, and they varied 800-1500 watts per day, depending on outside temps. For me, that was 10-12¢ a day. Except for a couple days, my temps were above 20°.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/20/2011, 7:02 pm

Wow, so if one has temps in the winter that range from -30F to 30F for 4 or 5 months, that doesn't seem cost effective. Never mind all the energy expended on a personal level... Usually by the time Thanksgiving rolls around I'm ready for a rest. I threw in the towel on growing food year round in my climate of 5a Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/20/2011, 7:27 pm

camprn wrote:Wow, so if one has temps in the winter that range from -30F to 30F for 4 or 5 months, that doesn't seem cost effective. Never mind all the energy expended on a personal level... Usually by the time Thanksgiving rolls around I'm ready for a rest. I threw in the towel on growing food year round in my climate of 5a Very Happy

You're probably right. I don't have a clue how things would work below 20°.

I have moderate winter temps and moderate summer temps. Over the course of a year, I have less heat to grow veggies than you do by 25%. I need all the help I can get!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down