Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Dr, I would like a diagnosis please Toplef10Dr, I would like a diagnosis please 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Dr, I would like a diagnosis please I22gcj10Dr, I would like a diagnosis please 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Dr, I would like a diagnosis please Toplef10Dr, I would like a diagnosis please 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Dr, I would like a diagnosis please I22gcj10Dr, I would like a diagnosis please 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Dr, I would like a diagnosis please

+4
camprn
Furbalsmom
clfraser
DiscoGardener
8 posters

Go down

Dr, I would like a diagnosis please Empty Dr, I would like a diagnosis please

Post  DiscoGardener 5/3/2011, 2:06 pm

First, what is the best reference for garden disease and pests? Books, Web?

Second, My pole beans look this this:

[img]Dr, I would like a diagnosis please Img00511[/img]

Any diagnosis?

I didn't see any pests, weather has not been hot, and these were started from seeds in the garden and not transplants.
DiscoGardener

Male Posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Dr, I would like a diagnosis please Empty Re: Dr, I would like a diagnosis please

Post  clfraser 5/3/2011, 3:02 pm

Mine are looking the same. I am curious as well.
clfraser
clfraser

Female Posts : 127

Back to top Go down

Dr, I would like a diagnosis please Empty more...

Post  DiscoGardener 5/3/2011, 3:39 pm

FYI. Actually, my DW corrected me that this group were transplants from seeds, started indoors and transplanted about 4 weeks ago. Most of my seed-started and transplanted plants did not survive the transition to outdoors. I see this condition on the older plants. I'm in central Ca. where weather has been 68-75 and clears for 3 weeks.. and no frost for over a month and a half. night did get in the mid forties back then.
DiscoGardener

Back to top Go down

Dr, I would like a diagnosis please Empty Re: Dr, I would like a diagnosis please

Post  Furbalsmom 5/3/2011, 3:58 pm

Disco, did you harden off the seedlings before planting them outside?

Transplanting is difficult enough, but if the seedlings were started indoors and then do not get a chance to acclimate to the outdoor temps and conditions, they often fail to thrive.

Hardening off is accomplished by taking the seedlings outdoors into a shaded spot for an hour the first day, then each subsequent day you increase the time they are outside, and slowly allow them to get a bit of sun. It really takes about a full week to harden the plants off and ready to live in the outdoors.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Dr, I would like a diagnosis please Empty yes

Post  DiscoGardener 5/3/2011, 4:05 pm

hardening was done.
DiscoGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/3/2011, 6:36 pm

It looks like a nutrition deficiency to me. Some other folks will chime in here soon. What a Face
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 5/4/2011, 12:21 am

I am with Camp on this one....

many options to see what could perk them up. Fish emulsion or a little blood and bone meal sprinkled at the base and watered in...right camp?
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Dr, I would like a diagnosis please Empty Prescription filled

Post  DiscoGardener 5/4/2011, 1:53 pm

Just started a Prescription of Fish Emulsion. I also noticed my DW likes to "rain" the little guys while watering. Gunna adjust the watering method to avoid soaking the greens and getting the water on the ground as well.

Funny, nature provides water to plants during rain; so why do some plants not tolerate getting wet?

We shall see. This is the 1st year with SFG'ing. I see so many great photos of other gardens, I don't want to be the brown thumb guy!
DiscoGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/4/2011, 2:00 pm

So to the original post, my best guess is nitrogen deficiency. My second best guess is manganese deficiency. If you have any compost, top dress around the plant with a good handfull or 2 and water it well, but don't drown the poor thing then leave it be for 2 days and water it again. See if the yellowing starts to diminish. Let us know how it goes. Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Dr, I would like a diagnosis please Empty Deficiency?

Post  DiscoGardener 5/4/2011, 2:26 pm

Nutrient deficiencies? This is the first year of my mighty Mel's mix, the super growing medium; its new, fresh, and rich. How can it be deficient? The evidence is in the plants, but I guess something was off.
DiscoGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/4/2011, 5:14 pm

DiscoGardener wrote: The evidence is in the plants
Indeed, that's a fact!. Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/4/2011, 5:36 pm

DiscoGardener wrote:Nutrient deficiencies? This is the first year of my mighty Mel's mix, the super growing medium; its new, fresh, and rich. How can it be deficient? The evidence is in the plants, but I guess something was off.

- Bad compost?
- Too much unfluffed peat?
- Too much peat?
- Dry peat in the MM?
- MM not thoroughly mixed?
- Peat moss IN your compost sources? That would increase the peat content of your MM and decrease the compost portion.
- Could possibly be nitrogen burn from compost not completely cycled? Too rich in raw manure, for example.

The reasons your first batch of MM is nutrient deficient could be many. These are just some I come up with off the top of my head. Certainly, ALL of them could be incorrect, too. Just food for thought.

No one is going to like this, but I would grab some MiracleGro (or compost tea if you have a pile already started) and water the plants both on and below the leaves. I would wait a couple weeks and see if they perk up. If they do, you have your problem isolated to nutrition deficiency. Now, you can work on fixing the problem....granted you checked the questions directly involving the composition of your MM.

Adding compost is great. And, it's likely to take care of any nutrient problems. But, compost is a relatively slow-release solution, too. You need quick results if your plants are suffering this early imo.

Last edited by BackyardBirdGardner on 5/4/2011, 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M 5/4/2011, 5:37 pm

DiscoGardener wrote:Nutrient deficiencies? This is the first year of my mighty Mel's mix, the super growing medium; its new, fresh, and rich. How can it be deficient? The evidence is in the plants, but I guess something was off.
I was wondering that, too. At the same time, sometimes newly transplanted plants (or plants that suddenly start growing quickly) take a while to start pulling in enough nutrients to meet demand. It may not be an actual deficiency of the Mel's Mix, but that the plants have not begun sufficiently utilizing it.

A compost tea or fish emulsion would provide loads of nutrients in a way that is very easy for the plants to pull out.

As far as the plants getting wet is concerned, it is true that they can handle rain just fine, so why not watering? I wondered about this as well. It seems that plants can handle being wet now and then with no problem (the usual timing of rain), but when they get wet daily for an extended period of time, they are more prone to fungus and other diseases -- just like anything is that is very frequently wet. It isn't normal for it to rain every day, and when it does (three solid weeks in Delaware I remember...), you would expect to see the same problems that crop up when you shower the plants every day. They can't take it from Mother Nature, either.

In areas that are humid much of the time, showering the plants is that much more of a problem for them. They never get to dry off.
Miss M

http://sithrahfarm.com

Back to top Go down

Dr, I would like a diagnosis please Empty http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/images/M1190-1.gif

Post  camprn 5/5/2011, 9:25 am

Dr, I would like a diagnosis please M1190-1
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Dr, I would like a diagnosis please Empty Plant physiology good info lots'o'links

Post  camprn 5/5/2011, 9:31 am

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/hort/amywright/hort3000/pictures.htm Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/5/2011, 10:37 am

I'll only respond to the raining part since the rest has been mentioned.

Rain is nature's way of feeding but too much rain can also cause plant diseases to start on leaves and blossoms due to excessive wetness, humidity, no air circulation, etc. So even rain is not without its problems.

When one waters from above as well, getting leaves wet, one magnifies the wetness problems. That's why watering around the stem itself is best. It also gets the water more quickly where its needed, to the roots.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Dr, I would like a diagnosis please Empty Wow!

Post  DiscoGardener 5/6/2011, 3:58 pm

Thanks doctors! where do I send my co-pay?

I knew this new hobby would provide for hours of satisfaction... and now I'm addicted to the learning process. How can I quit my day job and just SFG as a career? Very Happy
DiscoGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down