Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG for #2 son/wife who are newlyweds in DC! Toplef10SFG for #2 son/wife who are newlyweds in DC! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG for #2 son/wife who are newlyweds in DC! I22gcj10SFG for #2 son/wife who are newlyweds in DC! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG for #2 son/wife who are newlyweds in DC! Toplef10SFG for #2 son/wife who are newlyweds in DC! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG for #2 son/wife who are newlyweds in DC! I22gcj10SFG for #2 son/wife who are newlyweds in DC! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG for #2 son/wife who are newlyweds in DC!

+4
shannon1
duhh
Miss M
Dunkinjean
8 posters

Go down

SFG for #2 son/wife who are newlyweds in DC! Empty SFG for #2 son/wife who are newlyweds in DC!

Post  Dunkinjean 4/29/2011, 12:03 am

Our #2 son and his wife (newlyweds Mar 19th) live in Washington, DC.

They decided to join a community garden in their neighborhood. Everyone that joins helps to build boxes, fill boxes, etc. and organic materials are only allowed.

They fill the boxes with compost materials, soil, etc. We traveled to DC last week to add the Peat Moss and Vermiculite. When we arrived, measured the box and it is 4' x 15'. Holy cow!

Anyway, Hubby & I continued and made the grid.

The next day, Hubby went to Home Depot for the materials to make 2 trellises. Meanwhile, Son #2 and new wife and I planted veg seeds and plants.

Others saw us and asked if we would do a grid for them - I was so excited! I just use thumbtacks and twine. I would have stayed there all day, but after a few hrs, the family was hungry - what's with that !

Next day, we helped them plant new shrubs, flowers, mulch in their front yard for the house they bought last August. (We did not use MM)

Anyway, they are so excited about their new veg box.

(Last yr we made a 4 x 4 box for #1 son, wife and grandson in NY state)

It is so much fun creating new boxes for new gardeners!! sunny

Dunkinjean

PS: Just bought grandson his own garden tools for their garden box
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

SFG for #2 son/wife who are newlyweds in DC! Empty Re: SFG for #2 son/wife who are newlyweds in DC!

Post  Miss M 4/29/2011, 12:56 am

Wow! That's great! Very Happy What a way to pass it on! cheers
Miss M

http://sithrahfarm.com

Back to top Go down

SFG for #2 son/wife who are newlyweds in DC! Empty Re: SFG for #2 son/wife who are newlyweds in DC!

Post  duhh 4/29/2011, 1:24 am

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing. It's great that your kids want to do this too! Your grandson is gonna love it!

I love helpping others get into gardening. I have about 5 clients who started a garden becaus I talk about it so much!
duhh
duhh

Female Posts : 378

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 4/29/2011, 5:43 am

Talk about a gift that keeps on giving. Very Happy
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 4/29/2011, 2:27 pm

Wonderful!

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

SFG for #2 son/wife who are newlyweds in DC! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 6/5/2011, 1:36 pm

Well, my #2 son and wife in DC are very disappointed with their community garden box. When I first arrived, I noticed there was a big tree in front of their garden. Of course son says but the sun will go above it and there will be plenty of sun - even though I said the box is not in a good location.

Lo and Behold they have told me that their garden veg's are not growing as prosperous as the other garden boxes due to too much shade! Sad

I suggested he speak to the head of the garden community and see what they have to say. (I did speak to the secretary or treasurer of the organization the day of planting and she stated she will suggest they trim the tree)

I feel they may have to take the tree down or refund their money or both. They have invested alot of money in the garden box.

I am sure things will work out for them. I feel so bad for them.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for reading.

Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 6/5/2011, 3:35 pm

That is SO disappointing. Why would they even put plots there? That area could be used as a common area with picnic tables, etc.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com

SFG for #2 son/wife who are newlyweds in DC! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/5/2011, 6:32 pm

I feel bad for you as well, dunkinjean.

There should not have been a box placed in the first place. Alot of work with little return; very disappointing.

Perhaps the organisers will have learned a lesson for the future. I agree with krosman's suggestion of a picnic area where people can gather and take a break.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  altagarden 6/5/2011, 11:41 pm

That's too bad!

I have a shady backyard SQFT garden plot and it does grow the salad greens (chard, lettuce, spinach) all through summer, especially the bolt resistant variety. Also carrots can stand some shade, and I think beets too. My summer squash goes near the sunniest square. So maybe if they concentrated on what they can grow well it would be more rewarding?

Also, if they amended the soil, they could request to move it with them to another box next year. Switch it out with the other soil.

The best part about my community garden plot is the people that I have met, so maybe if they keep a good, positive attitude about it they will enjoy the experience even with a smaller harvest.

by the way, you're good parents!
altagarden
altagarden

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 6/6/2011, 7:59 am

This article might be helpful. It has 40 partial shade crops.

http://www.examiner.com/green-culture-in-mankato/40-fruits-vegetables-and-herbs-that-will-grow-partial-shade

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 6/21/2011, 9:09 pm

UPDATE!

DC son and wife say the garden is looking alot better - hurray!

The veg's are growing!!

My husbund & I hope to visit them so we can see the garden once I am free from work for the summer.

Thank you all for the votes of confidence flower

Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/21/2011, 10:20 pm

Marvelous news Dunkinjean.

Nice to hear the garden is now producing. Did the organizers at least trim the tree to help with the sun for this plot?

Hope you get to visit them soon.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 6/23/2011, 11:36 pm

Another Update!

I don't think they have trimmed the tree yet.

But my DC son stated that the peppers, tomatoes, okra, zucchini are growing well.
They will be picking their first zucchini over the weekend and the strawberries are producing alittle.

We were hoping to visit this weekend, but DC daughter-in-law needs to study for her final exams for two classes., therefore we don't want to distract her from her studying.

Anyway, things are looking better for their garden. flower

Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 7/16/2011, 3:01 pm

Well, hubby and I finally made it back to DC this past Thurs. and will return home tom afternoon.

We went to their garden and it looks great! I did a bunch of cleaning dead debris, pinching, trimming, etc. - but hardly any weeds..Very Happy

They have been picking alot of zucchini and eating it.

Their pepper plants all have flowers and a few peppers started.

They have alot of tomatoes (most are green) with one almost ready for picking.

Their strawberries are growing all over with buds and strawberries.

Their okra plants have tiny pods forming.

Their mixed lettuce is ready to be picked.

Cucumbers are climbing with lots of flowers.

The only problem they have is their zucchini plants look like they may have vine borer but there are additional healthy zucchini on them.

The only veg's that didn't grow well are the peas and spinach - I told them they had planted them too late since it gets hot fast in DC.

But we are all pleased with their 1st time SFG gardening!

Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum