Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I went to a "veggie growing" class today Toplef10I went to a "veggie growing" class today 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I went to a "veggie growing" class today I22gcj10I went to a "veggie growing" class today 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I went to a "veggie growing" class today Toplef10I went to a "veggie growing" class today 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I went to a "veggie growing" class today I22gcj10I went to a "veggie growing" class today 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

I went to a "veggie growing" class today

+2
WardinWake
sfg4uKim
6 posters

Go down

I went to a "veggie growing" class today Empty I went to a "veggie growing" class today

Post  sfg4uKim 4/27/2011, 5:52 pm

I'm working with a master gardener to see about teaching a class or two in our local library. SO I decided to attend her class on growing vegetables.

I arrived first and we started talking. She told me that she had tried SFG but didn't like it very much. She explained that she mounded soil and it just didn't work well. I asked if she used her existing soil and she said, "Yes, but I've spent years amending it and it's very good." (rolling eyeballs)

There was only one other student and she said that she was doing raised beds this year. I was VERY good and didn't interrupt her class as she explained about her 16'x20' plot, and the tilling, and showing us the various hoes she uses for different types of weeding, and explained about watering, and . . .

Again I kept my mouth shut, but the other woman kept asking questions about raised beds and the teacher kept asking me to answer her.

After the class the woman asked for my business card. Smile

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

I went to a "veggie growing" class today WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

I went to a "veggie growing" class today Empty Re: I went to a "veggie growing" class today

Post  WardinWake 4/27/2011, 5:59 pm

ksroman wrote:I'm working with a master gardener to see about teaching a class or two in our local library. SO I decided to attend her class on growing vegetables.

I arrived first and we started talking. She told me that she had tried SFG but didn't like it very much. She explained that she mounded soil and it just didn't work well. I asked if she used her existing soil and she said, "Yes, but I've spent years amending it and it's very good." (rolling eyeballs)

There was only one other student and she said that she was doing raised beds this year. I was VERY good and didn't interrupt her class as she explained about her 16'x20' plot, and the tilling, and showing us the various hoes she uses for different types of weeding, and explained about watering, and . . .

Again I kept my mouth shut, but the other woman kept asking questions about raised beds and the teacher kept asking me to answer her.

After the class the woman asked for my business card. Smile

Howdy Ksroman:

I wonder if the "other student" was tired of the hoe-hoe-hoeing being taught by the MG. You just might have two more folks for your next class, the Master Gardener and the other student.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

I went to a "veggie growing" class today Empty Re: I went to a "veggie growing" class today

Post  sfg4uKim 4/27/2011, 6:09 pm

The class was supposed to be 1.5 hours and it lasted just an hour.

I kinda felt badly for her so I asked about the Master Gardening program, and told her I was impressed, etc.
Embarassed

I guess she won't recommend me to teach at the library. No

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com

I went to a "veggie growing" class today WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/27/2011, 10:02 pm

It is possible to be a Master Gardener and a SFG'er, however, in our county, when you become a MG, and are making a presentation sponsored by the MG or County extensions service, you are required to teach the MG method, with rows and tilling, though they do endorse raised bed gardening. At least that is the way it is here in Oregon.

I intend to become a Master Gardener, because there I can learn about organic pest control, plant diseases, plant identification and the regional specific varieties recomended for my particular location.
I also intend to be Certified as a SFG Instructor because I believe this is a great method to grow abundant veggies with the least work and weeding.

I think the two disciplines will compliment each other.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

I went to a "veggie growing" class today Empty veggie growing class

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 4/27/2011, 10:11 pm

Hear, hear, Furbalsmom. I totally agree. Those of us in the "senior" class are actively seeking ways to garden within our aging perameters and diminished strength, coupled with diseased joints, etc. Wrestling a big rototiller over a large garden is no longer feasible. Hence my delight in having discovered SFG this past January. This spring has introduced three new raised beds to the garden area, and we have developed a love affair with Mel's Mix. Plans for a fourth raised bed are in the works. We may be older, but we're getting smarter! Thanks to y'all.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 4/27/2011, 10:22 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:It is possible to be a Master Gardener and a SFG'er, however, in our county, when you become a MG, and are making a presentation sponsored by the MG or County extensions service, you are required to teach the MG method, with rows and tilling, though they do endorse raised bed gardening. At least that is the way it is here in Oregon.

I intend to become a Master Gardener, because there I can learn about organic pest control, plant diseases, plant identification and the regional specific varieties recomended for my particular location.
I also intend to be Certified as a SFG Instructor because I believe this is a great method to grow abundant veggies with the least work and weeding.

I think the two disciplines will compliment each other.

The two really do go together. I am a MG and as far as I know we are not required to endorse either way of gardening. We really are more about identification, diseases, and such. We have classes about soil and ph and such. I talk about my sfg to the other MG's in the county and have a couple that have came to look at my garden and I gave the ANSFG book to. I feel that the more you learn the better you can help no matter what why of growing is done. We learn about all plants including trees.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/27/2011, 10:40 pm

There is an outstanding testimonial I noticed while perusing through the book again today. Chapter 4, first page, right hand margin....

SFG is more than a hobby, it's a movement.

People will catch on someday. And, those of us that are here early could/should be positioning ourselves to capitalize when the wave arrives.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 4/28/2011, 8:25 am

Agreed Furbalsmom. I know about what you HAVE to teach - I'll be teaching a "Grow Your Food" class next week at the Community College and must include ALL forms of gardening. I AM, however, allowed to indicate that I am a certified SFG teacher, pitch the SFG class I'm teaching in September.

And this is exactly what this woman did. She let us know that she uses row gardening and Small Plot INtensive or SPIN gardening. (http://www.spingardening.com/) which I found interesting. She makes a living from growing crops and offering a "subscription service", so I think that is great.

The MG program here in our county seems to be quite good, however, Audra (the teacher) told me that she was a bit dissatisfied with the program insofar as it focuses on flowers & trees and only 1/2 a class was devoted to vegetables.

One HUGE bonus from taking that class . . . she told us about a nearby farm that offers composted horse manure FREE! bounce bounce bounce

Well gonna hunker down now cuz it looks like we've got some severe wether brewing.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum