Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Welcome from British Columbia, canada Toplef10Welcome from British Columbia, canada 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Welcome from British Columbia, canada I22gcj10Welcome from British Columbia, canada 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Welcome from British Columbia, canada Toplef10Welcome from British Columbia, canada 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Welcome from British Columbia, canada I22gcj10Welcome from British Columbia, canada 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Welcome from British Columbia, canada

+7
WestLakeSquared
Blackrose
Furbalsmom
Old Hippie
boffer
staf74
Kelejan
11 posters

Go down

Welcome from British Columbia, canada Empty Welcome from British Columbia, canada

Post  Kelejan 4/25/2011, 4:30 pm

Hello, I am Kelejan from the Southern Interior of British Columbia. You know, where we all live in igloos?

I started last year with two 4x4 boxes and had very satisfying results from them. A few failures but they were more than offset by the successes. I was able to keep myself and a friend supplied with salad stuff well into the Fall. and knowing that there were no pesticides was an added bonus.

My start really came years and years ago when my dear husband bought me this book from a garage sale. You guessed it, Square Foot Gardening 1981. Cost him all of 50 cents but it is turning out to be the best 50 cents he ever spent on me.

I re-read the book before I started, then I had the brilliant idea of surfing the web to see if there was a website, and I am so glad I did before I even started as it saved me a lot of work. I was about to start digging into the lawn, and I found out it was not necessary. Also that six inches in depth was deep enough.

I now have a third bed and yesterday I planted runner beans and snow peas, bought some transplants today, and by this evening my first bed should be well on its way to being established.

My only problem is trying to decide when to put out the tender transpants, and seeds that may come up too soon.

Reading through some of the recent "Welcomes" you sound like a great group of people.

Last edited by Kelejan on 4/25/2011, 4:33 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : my computer makes too many mistake.)
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Welcome from British Columbia, canada Empty Re: Welcome from British Columbia, canada

Post  staf74 4/25/2011, 4:41 pm

Welcome from British Columbia, canada 654548 Kelejan !!!!

I'm sure you'll find the forum a wealth of support and helpful information Very Happy

I love your reason for editing BTW.... Wink
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Welcome from British Columbia, canada Empty Re: Welcome from British Columbia, canada

Post  boffer 4/25/2011, 4:45 pm

Kelejan wrote:Hello, I am Kelejan from the Southern Interior of British Columbia. You know, where we all live in igloos?

Welcome, from the land of boardwalk sidewalks and Injuns behind every tree! At least that's what my relatives back east tell me!

Lucky you for discovering the ALL NEW SFG book. It sure saved you a lot of work. I would suggest making a hoop house real quick to help harden off your transplants, and to protect your early seeds. They are surprisingly cheap and effective. You can find more info in the book about how to make them.

Happy SF gardening!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/25/2011, 4:47 pm

Oh wow! Another one from BC. Welcome from British Columbia, canada 396615 Welcome from British Columbia, canada 396615 We are so happy to have you join the forum. Since I am the Canadian Regional host it always tickles me pink when we get another Canadian on here but I am a tad partial to the ones from BC since I am in Prince George. (My sister lives in Winlaw and my mom in Nelson. Dang! I love that part
of the province but it is so hard to get there from here.)

I first heard about SFG from that book too. My mom read it and gave her copy to my oldest brother. Then when I decided to get into SFG in a more serious way, I decided to buy my own copy and found out that a lot had changed. The new one has changed quite a bit and is actually worth getting a copy.

Hope your garden turns out great. I am happy to hear that you had a successful year last year. Do you know when your last expected frost date is? Mine is around the 6th to the 12th of June. I put my tomatoes and cukes out usually around the May long weekend but watch the forecast very carefully for frost for the next couple of weeks.

Hopefully we will see lots of you on here. There are quite a few of us from BC but a lot of them don't post much. Hopefully, you will keep me company.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Welcome from British Columbia, canada Empty Thank you for the Welcome!

Post  Kelejan 4/25/2011, 5:32 pm

Thanks for the Welcome, I think I am going to like it here. I really must save the computer work for the night time and for when it rains etc.

Gotta get out and do some more SFGing before it rains again. Perfect planting weather.

staf74: That's my reason for editing and I'm sticking to it.

BoffA: I like your suggestion for making a hoop house, I must follow that up.
Where is the best place to get the ALL NEW SFG BOOK?

Gwynn: I live in Castlegar, just up the road from Nelson, so you will know all about my area. Now I can't get away with that living in an igloo bit.
Been here since Christmas 1979, originally from England. It really is a beautiful part of the world and I love the four distinctive seasons. I only wish the winter was a little shorter, the spring and fall a little longer, but the summers just need to be a tad cooler IMO.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/25/2011, 5:42 pm

Kelejan, I won't tell about the igloos. There are times when I have felt like perpetuating that little myth myself, just for fun.

If you can't find the new version of SFG in a bookstore in either Castlegar or Nelson, you could get it on line for sure. I got mine in a bookstore here in P.G.

We get down to Nelson about once a year. My mom is in a care home in Nelson. I would love to see her more but that trip is a minimum 12 hour drive from here so not one we can do very often. We have done it once in winter and never again!

I hear you on the dang computer and the amount of mistakes it makes. Sheesh! Mine is terrible.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/25/2011, 5:59 pm

Kelejan wrote:...BoffA:...

ROFLMAO

Boffer is an acronym for Bald Old Fat FellER (politely speaking)

BoffA is the Canadian version: Bald Old Fat Feller, eh? yahoo yahoo
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/25/2011, 9:17 pm

Welcome from British Columbia, canada 654548 kelejan
kelejan wrote:It really is a beautiful part of the world and I love the four distinctive seasons. I only wish the winter was a little shorter, the spring and fall a little longer, but the summers just need to be a tad cooler IMO.

I know, I know, it doesn't matter where we live, there is always something we want to change Laughing . I have long cool and wet Welcome from British Columbia, canada 3040868389 winters (rarely snow and rarely freezing), but I also have long cool summers, it rarely gets warm enough to grow nice tomatoes, peppers and eggplant.

We are so glad you joined us. I am not in the same country as you, but at least I am on the same side of the continent.

Hope you get the ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING BOOK soon, it is so full of instructions and advice that is presented in a clear and simple manner. I refer to mine all the time.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 4/25/2011, 10:33 pm

boffer wrote:
Kelejan wrote:...BoffA:...

ROFLMAO

Boffer is an acronym for Bald Old Fat FellER (politely speaking)

BoffA is the Canadian version: Bald Old Fat Feller, eh? yahoo yahoo

Love it! That's what I'm going to call you from now on. Razz

glad you\'re here glad you\'re here glad you\'re here kelejan

I love it when we get new Canadian members! :canada:
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  WestLakeSquared 4/26/2011, 8:39 pm

Hello and welcome, Kelejan -- from another new forum member from BC!
You're my closest neighbour yet! (I'm at Christina Lake.) cheers It'll be great to be able to compare notes with someone right in my zone.

There are several other BC folks over at the Anyone in BC? regional thread. Do join us over there!

R'ia
WestLakeSquared
WestLakeSquared

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/27/2011, 2:50 am

Hi WestLake Squared;

I joined that forum today and answered you, that I live in Castlegar.

Hi Neighbour!

Boffer: Sorry for mispelling your moniker. Embarassed (Well, it sounds the same).
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/27/2011, 10:21 am

Welcome from British Columbia, canada 396615 Welcome from British Columbia, canada 396615 Welcome from British Columbia, canada 396615

So very glad to have ya!

We LOVE pictures around here. When you get your SFG up and running please post some pictures for us.

Regional forums are a great place to get region specific information, ask regional questions, and generally get to know folks from your area. You should stop by the Canada regional forum when you get a chance.

Take care and happy gardening.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/14/2016, 2:00 pm

Just for fun, I went back to my ROOTS here on our SFG Forum that I joined in April 2011.

I want to thank the members who made it such a welcoming place for me. It certainly has made a great difference to the quality of  my life and I hope I have made a positive different to tohers, paritcally this last year of 2015.

I also wonder where are some of them now? Old Hippie, Blackrose, Westlake Squared, DizzyGardener, Furbalsmom?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/14/2016, 2:59 pm

So glad you did, Kelejan! A much better place because of you!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/14/2016, 4:40 pm

Thank you BIG hug Scorpio.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/14/2016, 6:59 pm

+1

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/14/2016, 9:19 pm

+2!!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down