Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Did I mess up?  Mel's mix question... Toplef10Did I mess up?  Mel's mix question... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Did I mess up?  Mel's mix question... I22gcj10Did I mess up?  Mel's mix question... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Did I mess up?  Mel's mix question... Toplef10Did I mess up?  Mel's mix question... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Did I mess up?  Mel's mix question... I22gcj10Did I mess up?  Mel's mix question... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Did I mess up? Mel's mix question...

4 posters

Go down

Did I mess up?  Mel's mix question... Empty Did I mess up? Mel's mix question...

Post  ferhoodled Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:49 pm

Now that I have gotten the mix in my gardens I'm afraid that I might have messed up. Almost all of my compost is from manure. Different brands of manure, but manure nonetheless... I used some mushroom compost and some compost from the city's free compost program but now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if I used too much composted manure. That was about all of the compost type stuff I could find around here at the stores. I'm assuming that there are other types of compost that are mostly plant based? It's too late now, I suppose, but I am nervous. So far the broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower look ok, but they have only been in the ground for a couple days... Worried... pale
ferhoodled
ferhoodled

Female Posts : 20

Back to top Go down

Did I mess up?  Mel's mix question... Empty Re: Did I mess up? Mel's mix question...

Post  dizzygardener Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:11 pm

Don't fret.

You still have time. If we count the manure as one then then have a total of 3 types of compost in your SFG. You can still add two more types of composts if you need to.

Let us about your manures. Were they all Cow or were some horse or chicken?

Also, what is in the city compost?

My local compost is a blend of at least 5 different sources, so it is pretty much the only compost I use (with a little bit of worm castings mixed in). It's as good as anything I could make at home.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Did I mess up?  Mel's mix question... Empty Re: Did I mess up? Mel's mix question...

Post  middlemamma Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:14 pm

If you had chicken and cow and horse that would be 3....plus the mushroom and your county compost you would be fine.

It would help to know what manures they were... Smile
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  ferhoodled Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:32 pm

The bags that the manure came in were taken by the trash truck this morning so I can't check now. I do know that there was no chicken manure. I'm pretty sure that the rest of it said just "composted manure". When I glanced at the bags I didn't see if it was horse or cow or ???. I do know that one brand was cow for sure.

The city compost is just a compost of yard clippings and whatever else plant like things people put out in their weekly yard bin. I'm sure that has all sorts of different stuff in it... leaves, grass, etc.

At first I thought that if the manures were different brands I would be ok, but really, the manure needs to be from different critters? (I have never typed the word "manure" so many times in my life! Laughing )
ferhoodled
ferhoodled

Female Posts : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:52 pm

To be honest, this is a debate across this forum constantly. Don't worry about it. Some people count sources. Some people count types. The concept is to avoid a dud mix of compost.

Sources could be interpreted WHERE you got them. Lowe's and HomeDepot being two different sources. But, to me, sources are the names on the bags. BlackKow is likely the same no matter where you buy it. But, BlackKow and another cow manure by a different brand name, imo, could be debated as two separate sources of compost.....because they are produced by separate companies.

Types would be horse manure, mushroom, cow manure, lobster/shrimp, veggie, etc.

You be the judge on this one. Mix up your sources AND types the best you can until you hit 5. Heck, keep going if you want. The more, the better. Again, the idea is to avoid putting all your "eggs" in one basket.......thereby avoiding a dud brand/mix.

I think you'll be fine going forward. Don't sweat it too much.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down