Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Are these normal costs for start-up? Toplef10Are these normal costs for start-up? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Are these normal costs for start-up? I22gcj10Are these normal costs for start-up? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Are these normal costs for start-up? Toplef10Are these normal costs for start-up? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Are these normal costs for start-up? I22gcj10Are these normal costs for start-up? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Are these normal costs for start-up?

+13
walshevak
1orangething
buttaflie143
Furbalsmom
ashort
WolfHeart
staf74
Squat_Johnson
BackyardBirdGardner
boffer
Old Hippie
jazzymaddy
middlemamma
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Are these normal costs for start-up? Empty Are these normal costs for start-up?

Post  Guest 4/20/2011, 9:46 pm

I'm new to Mel's SQF Gardening and so far have spent $180 and that is just on 2 beds and the supplies/soil. Is this normal? We didn't expect such a large cost and we haven't even bought seeds or plants yet. I called around and only one place sold the large bags of coarse grade vermiclite and it was 3.5 cu ft for $34.99 plus tax. Here is what everything costs:

Materials for 2 garden beds
2 - 4x4x7 cedar garden beds (included screws) - $80
Weed cloth - $13
Shovel - $7
6 wood lath boards - $2 (need to buy 6 more as I only got enough for one)

Soil - Mel's Mix
Compressed bale of Peat Moss 2.2 cu ft - $10
Certified Coarse Grade Vermiculite 3.5 cu ft - $40
2 Mushroom Compost - $9
2 Organic Compost - $9
2 Composted Chicken Manure - $9

After spending $180, I have yet to buy what we need for:

- 2 chicken wire cages (we have rabbits that come in our yard)
- Vertical garden supplies
- seeds and transplants

Is it always this expensive to start up? Shocked
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Are these normal costs for start-up? Empty Re: Are these normal costs for start-up?

Post  middlemamma 4/20/2011, 9:52 pm

When you buy the beds it really can add to the cost. But yes, this seems to be pretty on paar...just remember once it's done next year all you need are your seeds/plants and a little compost! You won't be spending this year after year (unless you build more boxes).

You need two more kinds of compost to make up your 5. See if you can find some steer manure and another kind. Here is a link to the Mel's Mix Calculator, it will help you to mix it up right for the best results. And don't forget the peat is compressed!! It nearly doubles when you fluff it up.

Hang in there it will be so worth it when you are harvesting the fruits of your labor and dollars.

sunny sunny sunny
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Are these normal costs for start-up? Empty Re: Are these normal costs for start-up?

Post  jazzymaddy 4/20/2011, 10:02 pm

Welcome! I think I've spent quite a bit more than that at this point - don't have all the receipts together in one place, and honestly, I'm afraid to look... And I still don't have my trellis set up yet.

But as middlemamma says, this is the setup year, the investment year, and it'll be much cheaper (and easier from what I hear) from here on out.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck, and hope you stick around and share your journey with us. It's pretty stinking fun from where I sit.

Take care,
Tracy
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Female Posts : 309

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/20/2011, 10:13 pm

First of all, Welcome to you. Are these normal costs for start-up? 396615 Are these normal costs for start-up? 396615 We are so happy you joined us. This is a great place to hang out. Ask all the questions you want and someone is bound to help out.

Unfortunately, the start-up costs can be high. The good news is, you only do that once unless you add more beds next year. If you start making your own compost this year as well, when you have to add more compost, it doesn't cost you a penny.

But as an example, a woman my husband works with went out and spent over $500.00 just on a rototiller. Obviously, she is going to be doing row gardening because you do not need a rototiller for SFG. Years ago, we borrowed a rototiller and made a huge garden. That was such hard work! If she only knew how much easier and cheaper it is to SFG.

I am not quite sure what you mean when you say your beds are 4x4x7. Do you mean they are 4 ft HIGH and 4 ft. wide by 4 ft. long? Those are pretty good sized beds. Remember you only have to have your Mel's Mix six inches deep except for crops like carrots or potatoes. So if you just make part of the bed deeper instead of all of it, you can save a bit that way.

The other thing I would look at is your mix. From what I can see you only have three different compost/manures. It is recommended to use five different ones. If at all possible are you able to find two more. Sheep manure or steer manure, perhaps. The reason for that is that different sources of compost add different nutrients to the soil and the more varied the blend the better chance you have of giving your plants a wider variety of food. Like you and me, they prefer not to have just one or two things to eat but a number of different things which is why Mel recommends five different sources for your compost.

You are on the right track. Keep on going and if you need any more help, just holler. We are here for you.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/20/2011, 10:33 pm

My mailing address is near 128th and Waller. Does that make us neighbors?! PM me if there's something I can do to help you get started.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/20/2011, 11:04 pm

Welcome homekeeper. It's a pleasure to have you here.

Yes, your startup cost is about right. What I did, to sell the wife, was divide the cost out over 5 years since I won't be changing anything except a touch of compost and seeds. My cost per year plummeted compared to the grocery store over 5 years. Once I showed her, she was so on board you'd think we were taking a Caribbean cruise.

The cost pales in comparison to continuing the status quo at the local PigglyWiggly. You can either cost it yourself or just trust me on this one.

Stop in your regional forum or another of the more specific forums when you get settled in here. We are ready to answer ANY question you may have. Pictures obviously help, if nothing else but to brag about how proud you are. And, I hope to see you contributing, too, as you feel more comfortable around here. Welcome again!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 4/21/2011, 1:01 pm

Your prices are about normal I believe. When you compare to row gardening, it's cheap.

I discovered the SFG book at Home Depot, while trying to recover from sticker shock on a $650 tiller (not to mention the John Deer tractor, plow and disc that I borrowed in years past for the row garden).

If I was still doing a row garden, I would break ground probably next week... In my SFG, I am several weeks into eating lettuce, radishes and greens. I have everything in the ground except squash, beans, tomatoes and peppers.
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 4/21/2011, 2:15 pm

okay guys.....now I know we all love SFGning and all......and we love BBG and his enthusiasm but perhaps this was a little over the top in terms of start up costs....

"What I did, sell the wife,"
Wink tongue
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  WolfHeart 4/21/2011, 2:38 pm

staf74 wrote:okay guys.....now I know we all love SFGning and all......and we love BBG and his enthusiasm but perhaps this was a little over the top in terms of start up costs....

"What I did, sell the wife,"
Wink tongue

Are these normal costs for start-up? 641297 Are these normal costs for start-up? 930802 Are these normal costs for start-up? 930802 Are these normal costs for start-up? 641297

OMG Staf, I missed that until you pointed it out......I am wiping tears from my eye
WolfHeart
WolfHeart

Male Posts : 159

http://wolfheart68.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 4/21/2011, 3:38 pm

Old Hippie wrote:I am not quite sure what you mean when you say your beds are 4x4x7. Do you mean they are 4 ft HIGH and 4 ft. wide by 4 ft. long?

They are 4x4 beds and 7 inches high.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 4/21/2011, 3:51 pm

middlemamma wrote:See if you can find some steer manure and another kind. Here is a link to the Mel's Mix Calculator, it will help you to mix it up right for the best results.

I was going to get the steer manure, which was the only other compost I could find but the garden "expert" told me that it would burn my plants. Is this true? I took his word for it and didn't get it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 4/21/2011, 3:55 pm

boffer wrote:My mailing address is near 128th and Waller. Does that make us neighbors?! PM me if there's something I can do to help you get started.

I'm about 45 minutes from you, never been to Yelm but there is a nursery there that I found online yesterday that sells a lot of organic transplants/seeds I think. I think its called Garden center or something, do you know of it?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 4/21/2011, 4:27 pm

Maybe a touch higher than mine, but the costs don't seem too far out of line...
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/21/2011, 4:37 pm

Homekeeper wrote:
boffer wrote:My mailing address is near 128th and Waller. Does that make us neighbors?! PM me if there's something I can do to help you get started.

I'm about 45 minutes from you, never been to Yelm but there is a nursery there that I found online yesterday that sells a lot of organic transplants/seeds I think. I think its called Garden center or something, do you know of it?

Gordon's Garden Center, great variety of seed potatoes for $1.99/lb

Also in Yelm is Jason's Nursery, a wholesaler who sells retail, great prices on starts, variety is basic.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/21/2011, 6:01 pm

Are these normal costs for start-up? 654548 Homekeeper Are these normal costs for start-up? 654548

So very glad to have you here.

It is true that start up costs are more than many of us expect for the first year, but as everyone has said, costs plummet each year in the future.

You will find your trellis is fairly inexpensive. My two galvanized 10 foot conduit poles were about $2.25 @. The two connectors were about 3.00@ and the trellis netting about $3.00 (5 X 10 feet enough for two beds)

I did not make chicken wire cages for my beds. I was able to use two PVC pipes (10 feet long $1.50 @ to create a dome and covered it with tulle (bridal veil material 108inches wide and on sale al JoAnnes fabrics for about $1.50 a yard) as this would provide both critter and insect protection.

Please keep us updated on your progress. We want to see how well you do. You will be so happy with the ease of the SFG technique.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/21/2011, 7:32 pm

Homekeeper wrote:

They are 4x4 beds and 7 inches high.

Doh! I am a dufus!! I figured it out after I posted back to you when it was too late to edit my post!! Are these normal costs for start-up? 926169

@Staf and Wolfheart, BYG said "What I did, TO sell the wife...." NOT "What I did, sell the wife" LOL! You are going to get him in trouble with his better half by misquoting him. Are these normal costs for start-up? 262465

Homekeeper, I have never had trouble with the steer manure, especially when I have it mixed with other things. If it doesn't smell really strong, it should be fine. Obviously, it might have a certain amount of odour to it, but nothing like fresh manure. The stuff I bought didn't smell much different than regular compost.

Best of luck to you.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 4/21/2011, 8:07 pm

jazzymaddy wrote:Welcome! I think I've spent quite a bit more than that at this point - don't have all the receipts together in one place, and honestly, I'm afraid to look... And I still don't have my trellis set up yet.

But as middlemamma says, this is the setup year, the investment year, and it'll be much cheaper (and easier from what I hear) from here on out.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck, and hope you stick around and share your journey with us. It's pretty stinking fun from where I sit.

Take care,
Tracy

When do you plan to put up your trellis? Keep us posted eh?
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 4/21/2011, 8:11 pm

Furbalsmom wrote: I did not make chicken wire cages for my beds. I was able to use two PVC pipes (10 feet long $1.50 @ to create a dome and covered it with tulle (bridal veil material 108inches wide and on sale al JoAnnes fabrics for about $1.50 a yard) as this would provide both critter and insect protection

This sounds very interesting! I'm assuming you are talking about the pvc pipe domes that was pictured in the book. So this tulle would also keep out insects? Would I need to take it off at all or leave it on at all times?

Hubby brought to my attention that the beds we are using, the chicken wire cage in the book will not not work with them as they have corner posts higher than the side boards. So I have to come up with a new idea now. I posted the cedar bed we got from Home Depot in another post but here it is to show you how the chicken wire cage from the book won't fit it, it will have gaps:

Are these normal costs for start-up? 00111
Thanks for all the help you all and the welcome!! Are these normal costs for start-up? 109486
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  1orangething 4/21/2011, 8:33 pm

Welcome & happy gardening.
1orangething
1orangething

Female Posts : 72

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/21/2011, 8:36 pm

Staf, that was so funny! I love when we slap each other around a little here. It breaks the monotony.

Homekeeper, when your husband finishes with your garden, send him over here. I miss that kind of stuff all the time.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 4/21/2011, 8:49 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:...create a dome and covered it with tulle (bridal veil material 108inches wide and on sale al JoAnnes fabrics for about $1.50 a yard) as this would provide both critter and insect protection..

Oh my gosh, brilliant! I'm SO going to do that!!! Thank you for sharing your brilliance! I have deer netting that I've been happy with, but nothing for the buggies. Now, I imagine you'd have to take it off on occasion for pollination purposes? Can you tell me a little more about your method?

Thanks,
Tracy
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/21/2011, 8:54 pm

buttaflie143 wrote:

When do you plan to put up your trellis? Keep us posted eh?

Buttaflie, what is up with the "eh"? I was told that only us Canadians say that? Are you secretly a Canuck at heart? LOL!

Gwynn Are these normal costs for start-up? 445227
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 4/21/2011, 8:58 pm

@buttaflie I'm not sure when the trellis will happen. It's spring break, AND I've got sick kids, so my plans have had to get some back burner action. I will definitely keep y'all updated. Sharing is part of the fun for me - well let's be honest, I like validation and attention. Smile

@homekeeper Your box looks really nice! "Back to the drawing board" has become a common phrase for me lately...
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 4/21/2011, 9:12 pm

I know I was a bad boy....I'll come clean.....a purposeful misquote on my behalf for a cheap laugh.....hehe. BBG took it well. However, I need to watch my back from now on. He owes me one !!!!!
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/21/2011, 9:15 pm

LOL! I thought as much. He's gonna get ya when you least expect it, I bet!

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next